Airsoft Forums UK

Guns Designed 4 Fun? (Not Replicas)

popup
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi. I’m interested in guns that are designed around the airsoft/bb tech. That are a new type of gun in there own right, Designed for fun instead of trying to replicate a bullet tech gun.

Kinda like what you get in computer games, but doesn’t need to look fancy. Functionality is more important to me than looks. would prefer to pay less for better internals and have ugly box.

i would fancy a shotgun, pistol, automatic machine gun thingy, range/sniper like output or totally new and crazy form of output :D

As it would not look like a real gun, would that avoid the replica gun laws? same class as a two tone, anyone can buy?

Does such airsoft weapons exist? To buy or to make? Has anyone made such a thing?

• Supporters

Totally misread what you were asking for.  A DIY airsoft gun sounds like so much fun to build and play with.

• Head Moderator

You want something like this?

• Supporters
On ‎07‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 4:39 PM, Jedi_Master said:

You want something like this?

How have I never seen this video? I have got to try this out myself!

I get where you're coming from. An Airsoft gun that's actually designed to be an Airsoft gun, rather than limited by the constraints of looking like an actual weapon.

What would it look like? Magazines or massive onboard storage? How and where would you put the battery /power source? Weight? Materials?

I like the idea of a modular gun. Something you could add to or reconfigure. Would it sell, or are we all too attached to the idea of replica guns?

Do you mean like that bingo airsoft works AS5? It's designed to be the best possible airsoft gun without the constraints of having to replicate an existing gun I guess.

IMG_0193.JPG

On ‎07‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 5:49 PM, rocketdogbert said:

SGR-12 isn’t any real gun.

Neither is this I don’t  think? (Glock internals

Looks cool but I think that's the SRU Glock bullpup kit. So technically yes glock internals but it is still a glock, just has the kit attached :)

25 minutes ago, OHDFoxy said:

Looks cool but I think that's the SRU Glock bullpup kit. So technically yes glock internals but it is still a glock, just has the kit attached :)

Yes, SRU. it’s a bespoke frame with Glock internals and slide. SRU also make a bespoke slide.

34 minutes ago, rocketdogbert said:

Yes, SRU. it’s a bespoke frame with Glock internals and slide. SRU also make a bespoke slide.

The more you know! :D

On ‎07‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 4:59 PM, L3wisD said:

Do you mean like those Paper Shooters?

http://www.papershooters.com

Essentially guns you fold like origami that fire pellets of paper.

Good for office warfare.

Its all fun and games until you're getting fired because Gerald from accounts has lost an eye:P lol

• Supporters
2 hours ago, Nicky blue eyes said:

Its all fun and games until you're getting fired because Gerald from accounts has lost an eye:P lol

They'd probably promote you, Gerald's a cnut, nobody likes him :)

thanks for the replys, heh paper guns! theres a surprise.

I was thinking battery power cus i do stuff with lithium batterys/electrics. i also have various diy li-po/li-ion packs for other things, which i could use for a airsoft gun too.

spring guns are of some interest too.

open to gas ones i just dont fancy having to buy co2 canisters but if there that much better, ill consider them.

The trouble if most diy easy builds is powering them on out on the field without a huge air compressor. maybe with a solid air tank instead of softdrink bottle, this would not be such a problem?

I find this diy build impressive :)

Note, ive not been airsofting before, looking into it. maybe got a opportunity to do something privately with friends. so wondering about this and that.

On 07/01/2018 at 6:10 PM, Georgeturner2001 said:

Do you mean like that bingo airsoft works AS5? It's designed to be the best possible airsoft gun without the constraints of having to replicate an existing gun I guess.

yea something like that or other gun types. oh yea, i would prefer to have just one big hopper like it has. no mags and easy to refill :)

paint ball guns are basically what your looking at, all the bits you need without the fancy outer shell that makes it look like a gun. Most airsoft guns even when not based on a real counterpart is going to be designed very much the same as any other rifle 

7 hours ago, lemon191 said:

paint ball guns are basically what your looking at, all the bits you need without the fancy outer shell that makes it look like a gun. Most airsoft guns even when not based on a real counterpart is going to be designed very much the same as any other rifle 

I’ve held back on commenting with that.

Paintball guns really did evolve into a functional gun without the specific needs of dealing with an explosion inside & recoil etc

The common elements are the trigger & grip, and some form of foregrip (or something to hold steady)

Though there is no longer the physical needs of of a trigger mechanism striking the percussion cap, it’s ergonomic and performs naturally for the user.  All we need now in Paintball or airsoft (obviously electricaly operated guns) is a switch, but it’s still more natural to pull a trigger and have it flick a rocker switch

A Paintball ‘speedball gun’ has gone down to the ergonomics of projecting balls as opposed to the physical needs of firing and absorbing the force of a bullet

The obvious ‘unique’ element in Paintball is the hopper feed.  You shoot balls so they can just be poured in to reload. The only need for any special hopper as opposed to a basic hopper are either agitation to stop 3 or more balls sitting on top of the feed and ‘jamming’, or a force feed system to ensure enough balls are lined up for the rate of fire

As BBs are 6mm compared to Paintball’s .68” / 17mm ... (I was distracted earlier and didn’t end the sentence!)   .... then the smaller ball could fit more balls lined up into a ‘stack’ ready for the next shot.  Therefore there may not be a need for any forced feed system - putting something into practice would prove or disprove that 

The less obvious is paintballs ‘ball stock’.

’Woodsball’ guns look like ‘real’ guns, because that’s what people think a gun should look like and that’s what they buy

When the air cylinder was added to Paintball guns people still added stocks and also tried to take off the cylinder using a remote line.

From experience people learn that a fibre cylinder with a curved base acts as a stock to steady your aim but also rotates in your shoulder to smoothly lift the gun to your shoulder or to adjust aim

(A Paintballer / gunsmith actually designed a similar stock for one of the British Olympic shooting teams.  The stock was banned)

Finally it does not have to be offset to your side, pointing forward from your shoulder, which means you offset your head to aim.

Instead, angle the gun:

Cylinder in your shoulder, gun tipped, with the barrel in front of your face

You can also train your eyes for x-ray vision - place the body & line of the barrel between your eyes, each eye looking past either side of the gun, focus on your target.

Each eye can see a bit of gun and a bit of clear view, your brain sticks the two images together and you see straight through the body with a direct line of sight where your balls are pointing

Pistols are much simpler - we instinctively point.  Put a pistol in your hand and you can point it on target even when firing from the hip

On ‎07‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 4:59 PM, L3wisD said:

Do you mean like those Paper Shooters?

http://www.papershooters.com

Essentially guns you fold like origami that fire pellets of paper.

Good for office warfare.

I never knew I needed this. Thank you!

2 hours ago, popup said:

re paintball guns, thanks for the info and suggestion. im reconsidering them. hoping there easier to get? Do i need to be a member of any organisation to buy one? researching for a answer... :/ hmm

There are no controls on purchase in England & Wales

In Scotland it is felt that the new requirement for a licence / certificate for airguns does not apply to paintball (due to frangibility)

In Ireland a licence / Certificate is required, but from the sound of it is ignored 

Unlike airsoft & RIFs they are considered under the firearms act and are low powered air weapons that fire frangible paintballs, so even realistic ones are considered VCRA exempt

To play with your own gun, avoid Delta Force sites, ideally find an independent site that runs walkons so that you can benefit from cheaper pricing then punter rental rates, or events etc 

It you intend to use private land, I wouldn’t recommend it, but also depending on proximity and who has access to the land the firearms act would apply and could be an offence (eg too close to a footpath or highway etc )

hmm There is this x-industrial site that is now surrounded my residential houses at the front and to one side. how ever but for the front gates and at the back where there is a fence with a view of railway track and ball sports on the other side of railway. no one can see whats happing on the industrial site. we know the owners. So i was hopping to have a private game before it all gets demolished. i can put screens over the front gates and back fence saying game in progress. would that be ok? or would the games have to stay indoors/outofsite? or is just too close to public? its a large site.

Archived