Use of powerful pyro, yes or no?

Readman97
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

We all know mk5 thunderflashes, they can be potent little things if you get one thrown at you in a small room, so for obvious reasons, mk7s and mk9s are truly out of order to be used indoors..

So my question to you lot is, would you use mk7s or mk9s for strictly outdoors use? Or do you consider them just too loud and dangerous?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Supporters

Never used, never seen used and never had anyone talk about using them until you. 

In my opinion, as long as it doesn’t hurt someone physically or psychologically( phone says this is spelt right, I’m not convinced) it’s fine. But, for safety, you always have to imagine the worst case scenario and, for insurance, do a risk assessment, if there is a risk, they shouldn’t be used. 

Looking up a few vids and pieces they look like they could cause some hearing damage, so maybe sites ban them because not everyone wears hearing protection?

• Head Moderator

Too expensive, perhaps.  Although if the were part of the game then no reason why I would not spend £200 for a dozen Mk9.  However, if Mk9 were being used I would be wearing ear protection.

I do not think they are really necessary. I would much prefer a Mk5 and paint mine is used, so that even if you failed to take your hit (because you did not hear it) then the wet paint all over you would show that you were within the kill radius.

8 minutes ago, Jedi_Master said:

Too expensive, perhaps.  Although if the were part of the game then no reason why I would not spend £200 for a dozen Mk9.  However, if Mk9 were being used I would be wearing ear protection.

I do not think they are really necessary. I would much prefer a Mk5 and paint mine is used, so that even if you failed to take your hit (because you did not hear it) then the wet paint all over you would show that you were within the kill radius.

I really like that paint idea, in my experience people only really call pyro that goes off right at their feet, care to shed some light on how you do that? I deffo agree that mk9s could cause hearing damage but again it would depend on the scenario used, i know indoors they can be really bloody nasty indeed, however most i know that use them only use outdoors and not directly at someone

Paint ? This is airsoft you want to make a mess go play paintball, alot wear mesh and non full seal glasses , paint flying about doesn't sound good to me. As for noise big bangs add atmosphere but aren't really needed to play, you also need to think about they fact most don't wear hearing protection so you could be causing damage to a persons hearing 

1 minute ago, lemon191 said:

Paint ? This is airsoft you want to make a mess go play paintball, alot wear mesh and non full seal glasses , paint flying about doesn't sound good to me. As for noise big bangs add atmosphere but aren't really needed to play, you also need to think about they fact most don't wear hearing protection so you could be causing damage to a persons hearing 

I was thinking damp flour, easy to wash off, non toxic, certainly better than paint

1 minute ago, lemon191 said:

Can't see damp flour working ? Be clumped together and moisture in a grenade probably won't work. 

I mean wrapped around the TF in a bag, bugger disassembling a mk5, wouldn't take much to go wrong there

• Supporters

That’d deaden the sound quite a lot.  The exact opposite of what you want to achieve. 

Mk9 is completely unnecessary in most situations and can absolutely cause hearing damage even outdoors.  Doesn’t bother me as I wear ear protection at all times when playing, but other people going deaf should be a worry! 

Don’t modify pyro and definately NEVER compact it in anything - you’ve just changed the casing and affected how the explosive force performs

And keep bangs away from powder.  If there is enough to form a cloud then you produce a fireball

With paper mache style hand grenades use some spray on glue and dip them in glitter for seasonal games & parties or if you have someone with sparkalaphobia

• Supporters

I don't care personally, but I don't see the point in buying them when MK5s get the job done just as well. 

Also I wouldn't appreciate being indoors and having one chucked at me. Outdoors though, sure.. Go bananas.

I wear a noise cancelling headset most of the time so pyro doesn't tend to affect me, but for others who don't I can imagine something like a Mk9 going off a couple feet away could really mess with their hearing for a bit. Not sure that's something the average player wants. 

I mean, I'm new to airsoft so I don't really know what I want to wear for looks. However.

I do wear mesh ear defenders for bbs. And that's a rare sight at my game site. (I mean, why would a noob with paintball experience come along thinking "ah, the grenades might be really loud" because its the same pyros as paintball for the most part)

Very little people are going to be prepared for a bang of an MK9, especially if it is better to have hearing protection for (judging by this thread)

So let's say you throw more powerful pyro at anyone and everyone, how many people will actually have any hearing protection? And how many will be put off by the fact they played 1 game, had 1 grenade thrown at them and it was loud enough to hurt their ears?

IMO we are there for fun and shouldn't have to wear all sorts of protection purely because 1 or 2 people don't want to use a standard pyro that does the job when we are honest enough to call hits.

Note: If the site warns us that high power pryos are in use and hearing protection is a good idea before we come and we come without it that's our mistake.

Note: OK, grenades are a rare occurrence to be killed by. So its not like instant loss of hearing but in the long run, it seems silly IMO 

Note: I prefer bb firing grenades anyway, as people flinch instead of relying on an invisible distance)

summary: i don't want to be deafened or have aching ears purely because its my first time and i didn't know what to expect. And got a MK9 land at my boots.

While I personally don’t care how loud something is or how much something hurts, I don’t understand your argument for it needing to be louder. Inside or outside, if you are within the kill radius then you are most certainly going to hear it. It’s not like the bang is going to be mistaken for our gunshots. Throw a mk9 at me, but me with a tag round. It’s all part of the fun. I just don’t get the argument. 

• Supporters

Lol, unbelievable, flour can be highly explosive/flammable , flour mills used to be one of the most dangerous places to work, yet some are thinking about combining it with an explosive device.......someone will take their hit, a feckin big one lol ;) .

a "bang" needs to be loud enough to be heard, nothing more, if players aren't taking hits,90%+ of the time it's because they choose not to, & short of blowing them off their feet, nothing's gonna change that.

1 hour ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

This is why MK9 is a bad idea. Mk5 is plenty and I can't see a single benefit to using the MK9.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=op05OyG7G3c

To be fair when looking at the size of the crater, maroons and throwable flashbangs are designed differently 

Maroons are for effects and to be set in a safe location.  They are likely to make a bigger bang, brighter flash for their designed effect than an equivalent throwable grenade.

A mk9 grenade will be packed and embedded in cardboard in such a way to take the bigger bang and dissipate the explosion, equally a mk5 grenade against a mk5 maroon will differ in their effects

Mk5s and even Mk3s give plenty of effect for playing games

If people are ignoring them then they’ll still ignore mk9s but wth their ears ringing - and won’t hear that they are being called cheaters 

I think Mk5s do the job just fine. Especially as I've had one land and subsequently go off in one of my pouches once. I'm rather glad it wasn't anything bigger. 

• Supporters

Not on about the maroon although that is a bit nuts that some sites allow them.

The explosion difference between the MK5 and MK9 is considerable and I wouldn't appreciate one of those being thrown in my direction. I have had several MK5's detonate right next to me and have had to shrug off a few that have landed on me and that can be scary enough.

Exposing people to MK9 grenades with no hearing protection would be gross negligence IMO. Eardrums are fragile, and Mk5s are still loud enough to do damage if you’re caught inside with one thrown next to your head. I had that once lying prone in a bunker when someone dropped one through the roof. Luckily I had the quick reaction to cover my ears. 

• Supporters

No and there's evidently a reason i've never come across any sites that have allowed anything past a MK5 or 9mm blank. As Trigger said MK5s can be dodgy enough, especially as the majority of sites I've played at allow them to be thrown overarm increasing the chance for them to land on you or go off near your head.

Between this and hard case pyro being able to ruin your day/life if they hit you in the face I think the use of pyro is already enough of a calculated risk.

22 hours ago, Immortal said:

It seem's counter productive to use a banger that requires ear protection.

Pretty much this.

• Supporters

Same answer as for the lasers thread: hold your pyro of choice in your hand, next to your undefended ear, and set it off.

If you're not prepared to do that, don't throw it at me.

Archived