Mock Suppressor & Foam

Beowulf
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Whaaaats up guys.

I dont know anything about acoustics Or suppressors so I was curious in what the best materia is for dampening soundl. Also when filling a mock suppressor with foam and shaped it to a convoluted acoustic foam would make it more quieter rather than just a normal foam? Or would there just be no difference in that size?

C2977FA5-FBE0-42B5-94CD-CA47975DF571.jpeg

72FA47BA-BFCB-4D4B-BC08-33F61C509E95.jpeg

Saw some videos of firearms shooting wet suppressors and suprisingly the shots were so much quiete. Has anyone tried this on a suppressed airsoft?

While watching my imagination went wild so I was wondering, would water gels explode if I filled stuffed them in a mock supproessor?

and out of topic but which is better for accuracy? CO2 or Greengas? Seen reviews but all of the talk about more fps and nothing on accuracy.

51 minutes ago, Beowulf said:

and out of topic but which is better for accuracy? CO2 or Greengas? Seen reviews but all of the talk about more fps and nothing on accuracy.

I'm not experienced with gbb but I am pretty sure accuracy is unaffected by the gas used? (Feel free to prove me wrong if I am).

I know that accuracy is sorted by air seals and barrel smoothness and such. 

The gas is more about the fps and the temperature. Hence why reviews talk about these.

To me I don't see why they would make a difference to accuracy. (Again could be wrong?)

2 minutes ago, LightningCh said:

I'm not experienced with gbb but I am pretty sure accuracy is unaffected by the gas used? (Feel free to prove me wrong if I am).

I know that accuracy is sorted by air seals and barrel smoothness and such. 

The gas is more about the fps and the temperature. Hence why reviews talk about these.

To me I don't see why they would make a difference to accuracy. (Again could be wrong?)

Correct me if Im wrong but I think I read that HPA is more accurate beause the way the air flows?

So thats why I was wondering if there was any difference between green gas and co2. 

2 minutes ago, Beowulf said:

Correct me if Im wrong but I think I read that HPA is more accurate beause the way the air flows?

So thats why I was wondering if there was any difference between green gas and co2. 

I’ve not tested this, but I doubt HPA as a propellent, compared to green gas or AEG has an impact on accuracy once any other factors such as B.B. bore consistency, weight, barrel bore, barrel length etc are equal

Ultimately the path of the ball is defined by its route down the barrel. There is some science in what happens when the ball comes out of the tip of the barrel - hence lots of variation in barrel tip porting designs in Paintball which may or may not affect the ‘shock’ of hitting the atmosphere by easing the pressure in the last inches and the noise on exit on discharged air direction

Different configurations will certainly affect consistency, which isn’t directly accuracy but inconsistency will lose any ability to predict where the ball will go 

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/01/2018 at 1:10 PM, Tommikka said:

I’ve not tested this, but I doubt HPA as a propellent, compared to green gas or AEG has an impact on accuracy once any other factors such as B.B. bore consistency, weight, barrel bore, barrel length etc are equal

Ultimately the path of the ball is defined by its route down the barrel. There is some science in what happens when the ball comes out of the tip of the barrel - hence lots of variation in barrel tip porting designs in Paintball which may or may not affect the ‘shock’ of hitting the atmosphere by easing the pressure in the last inches and the noise on exit on discharged air direction

Different configurations will certainly affect consistency, which isn’t directly accuracy but inconsistency will lose any ability to predict where the ball will go 

In regards to firearms it can be considered that the quality of the muzzle crown is hugely responsible for effects on accuracy, on having my .243 re-crowned after several years of use the groupings were significantly improved, would be interesting to know if this also effects Airsoft accuracy.

In regards to OP question, moderator/suppressor design in order to accomplish effective ‘silencing’ has to take into account overall volume of moderator, you will also notice when viewing exploded diagrams that they all primarily have baffles and ‘cells’ over dampening materials - the DM80 rim fire moderator is a great example of this...

i have heard of people using a hair curler inside a tube to great effect with .22 subsonic rounds, may be worth a try.

• 4 weeks later...
On 05/01/2018 at 1:10 PM, Tommikka said:

The idea of different gasses an accuracy is somewhat true, but not how you may think.

Green gas freezes up in cold weather and becomes less powerful, near the end of mags shots can be less powerful if spammed and the gas cooled.

Co2 has a smilar problem but only "just" as it survives cold far better.

Air form HPA is not affected by the last phenomenons.

Now accuracy: it's not "accuracy" but shot power (fps) consistency.

If ever shot fired at 300fps exactly, regardless of power source, and the barrel was totally smooth and clean of any debris, then all your shots should in theory travel in a similar path (even if it is not accurate, it will always be "off" the same way consistently), allowing you to adjust your aim.

HPA is the most consistent of all power sources with air leaks really only possibly at the hop unit.

C02 is also good for this.

Green gas is very inconsistent in cold weather but on par with Co2 in summer/warm.

AEG can be very consistent when you polish, smooth and seal everything for no air leaks.

TL;DR - doesn't make accuracy difference, makes shot power more consistent, means inaccuracy is consistent and therefor user can make the weapon accurate by hand.

• Root Admin

Suppressors in airsoft only really work with HPA in my experience and even then only marginally. With AEGs all the noise is coming from the gearbox and on GBBs and GBBRs it's all coming from the bolt/slide. There're no super hot, ultra-compressed gases being sent down that barrel.

11 minutes ago, proffrink said:

Suppressors in airsoft only really work with HPA in my experience and even then only marginally. With AEGs all the noise is coming from the gearbox and on GBBs and GBBRs it's all coming from the bolt/slide. There're no super hot, ultra-compressed gases being sent down that barrel.

Agreed, however I have had good results with my AEG, but only after heavy modding to the gearbox.

The suppressor helps muffle your noise at long range and may a more *thump* noise.

However at close range the gearbox is far more prominent, I use a 280fps gun so the bang is not "too" loud, much less than that of 340fps, with sorbo pads inside and some foam pieces on the inside of the receiver where air is most likely to escape at the rear.

End result - small bang -> thump. Useful for mid range, alright for CQB but you can't ever get it "that" quiet.

HPA is far quieter, but with the wrong setup it can be very loud!

To be fair I’ve found that the noise from HPA can be used to the users benefit, I’ve personally had a situation where I’ve run out of bb’s during a particularly heavy game scenario, but managed to get myself out of trouble by putting down a covering fire of pure noise, causing other players to keep their heads down believing me to be volleying shots in their direction.

1 hour ago, Sako said:

To be fair I’ve found that the noise from HPA can be used to the users benefit, I’ve personally had a situation where I’ve run out of bb’s during a particularly heavy game scenario, but managed to get myself out of trouble by putting down a covering fire of pure noise, causing other players to keep their heads down believing me to be volleying shots in their direction.

I captured half a fort once with an empty pistol, I had neglected to reload between games, realized I was ineffective so drew fire running bush to bush making noise

Ran right up to the wall with a thud, leant over waving my pistol - do you want to surrender ?

and they did !!!!

• Supporters

If it was a real firearm you would use an oil filter

yup - I kid you not, the oil filter suppressor actually works quite well...

BUT it ISN'T a real gun

50% of the AEG will be the sewing machine sound

or 80% if your shimming sucks

Foam can help deaden the sound a little but won't shush piston slap or sounding like a dying Singer sewing m/c

Still the oil filter is a bit of an eye opener, maybe might give you some ideas

think they have used a fuel filter on some clips....

Maybe you might come up with something to adapt than build from scratch something bespoke

Others have wrapped like a tube of foam half a meter long around a SVD and they say it works quite well

Don't know if that was an AEG SVD or a bolt action SVD Dragunov

(probably to avoid detection as sniper seamstress/tailor camping in the bushes with a noisy AEG)

Archived