Upgrade or custom build?

wiggle5
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi guys, 

I have been out of airsoft for a while but owned many guns in the past (mostly CA) and now things are a bit different with so many Chinese brands.

Looking at getting an AEG to start playing again as only have a sniper left from before.

I am fairly good with mechanical stuff and dont mind working on things myself so I am deciding the best option as how to start. I dont have a lot to spend initially so will be a bit of a long term project

First option is to get a cheap AEG such as a CYMA or a 2nd hand G&G that I have been offered. I know this will be a decent starting point but I like to change parts and customise so will it be silly to start with something like this and then throw loads of parts at it as it will always be a "cheap gun"?

The other option is to build my own from parts, I know this will work out expensive in the long run but it means I can buy the parts I want from the start and not buy a gun to end up changing almost all the parts eventually anwyay?

Anyone gone down either of these routes?

In the past I just stumped up the £300+ for a decent gun but currenly that isnt possible so a £100-150 gun then upgrades over time, or just buying one bit by bit is my options really

I've covered all those options,and if I had to do it again I'd go with getting something like one of the better Cyma AKS, and spending a bit of time rather than money getting it shooting nicely. Then look for upgrades that carry over into a new build, like decent batteries, charger etc. Then start accumulating the bits for a custom build, knowing that I've got a solid gun to use in the meantime, and a spare/loan gun once I've finished the custom.

Sounds like a good plan, I also have RC cars so have a nice stash of lipos and a good charger so that is all covered. 

I`m deciding what to buy fully working for now then either upgrade that or just start a complete other build separately as like you said makes sense to have one running while im accumulating parts.

• Supporters

I’m doing exactly as Hangtight described, I bought a cheap second hand TM Recoil, which is my go to gun currently, and I am slowly building a custom M4, it has a JG gearbox and that’s about all it has of an original manufacturer. I have all the parts now, just need the time to sit down and put it together.

Hi, i think first variant is good.my first m4 is cyma. over time, I changed all parts to KAC and now there is not a single old part left in it. this will allow you not to expensive to start playing again and you will have a base for further improvements. i started my tyuning from gear box, after this i changed resievers. this is just my opinion, I think there are many more experienced players here.

Think I found what I want a nice second hand gun with some internal upgrades, so should be a solid base then I can mod the externals to suit what I want. 

Im happy to go 2nd hand as dont mind tearing it down and sorting things if needed as long as its a decent price to start with.

Archived