RPK and LMG site/milsim rules

Lollingsgrad
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Back when I was getting interested in airsoft I had my heart set on an M249 Para out of nostalgia for Counterstrike. When it came to getting my first AEG I ended up getting an LCT AK for the flexibility since my local site is CQB with no full auto. Using it has increasingly made me appreciate the platform and associated loadouts and now that I'm getting around sites more I'm thinking I want a great big machine gun again. As it turns out, LCT RPKs are cheap and I'm impressed enough with mine that I'm considering it instead of the para. That said I have a couple of questions:

1) Are there many sites/milsims in the UK that have LMG rules (e.g. full auto for LMG users only)

2) Are you aware of any sites/milsims that DO NOT consider the RPK an LMG?

I havent been to a site where there are rules on LMG's the only time you would have one would be at a milsim event and they usually limit to a few thousand rounds depending on length of game etc, really CQB sites may have some rules but I have never encountered them yet but makes a bit of sense if they did. Also I couldn't imagine them saying full auto only, the only restrictions I can see is burst length and ammo limits at milsims. 

• Supporters

I'd imagine firing on the move is also restricted. 

Some I've been to (Milsims/Skirmish sites) have the following..

• Limited ammo 600 rnds (typically just Milsims but have been to some skirmish sites that run restricted ammo days)
  • 3 second burst on firing (Skimrish sites and Milsims - usually Milsim organisers ask that you treat an LMG much like the real world where it would be short controlled bursts unless your American)
  • LMG's must be mounted (on a wall for instance or laying prone if nothing to mount on) before firing (Milsims)
  • Can fire from doorways/windows outwards but cannot be fired indoors (if someone has managed to breach the building - switch to side arm) (Skirmishes/Milsims)

That's just off the top of my head.

Do you happen to remember if there were restrictions on what an LMG could be? Could you have stuck a drum mag on an M4 and called it an LMG? I'm curious because Reddit airsoft talk about the RPK sometimes not counting as an LMG. That said most of them will be US players and I haven't found any evidence of it being the case anywhere here.

7 minutes ago, Lollingsgrad said:

Do you happen to remember if there were restrictions on what an LMG could be? Could you have stuck a drum mag on an M4 and called it an LMG? I'm curious because Reddit airsoft talk about the RPK sometimes not counting as an LMG. That said most of them will be US players and I haven't found any evidence of it being the case anywhere here.

A drum mag on an M4 is pretty much whats wrong with Airsoft in my opinion and no Milsim group that I have been to or have looked into would allow that as a support weapon. Hell some skirmish sites don't allow it either!!

The fact that the RPK is listed as a light machine gun I personally wouldn't have a problem with it but others may not be as inclined to agree. You would be best off asking the people running event you wish to attend or better yet get a PKM ;)

• Supporters

Some sites also run a 30M MED for LMG’s. 

Also worth noting, due to the allowed increase in FPS for a support role (370FPS) if your gun is firing less than 350FPS they may remove some of the rules, however this does cause some issues out on site and in game. Worth checking with the site before hand.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, clumpyedge said:

A drum mag on an M4 is pretty much whats wrong with Airsoft in my opinion

What's wrong with it?

Do you have a problem with this?

e3904b963d86eecdb8c2df44cac394fbfc8575b1

4 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

What's wrong with it?

Do you have a problem with this?

Because in a game of immersion things that unrealistic bother me. Yes you may see these drum mags on guns in videos on youtube and the like but you wouldn't see them on operation in a warzone (there's numerous old threads about the argument for and against them but I'm on the against team I'm afraid)

Id be surprised if a Thompson was used on any of the Milsims I play as guns are usually era/country specific to align with the story (with some flexibility or AR's for example) if a Thompson was used id expect that the ammo limits would apply to them and being the gun it is would either have to only be allowed 600 rnds in 1 mag or split over numerous mags. I just don't see the point... if you want a support gun, buy a support gun... it's like the people that made high caps for HPA breachers and M870s or high cap sniper rifles. 

Before this gets too derailed I'm mainly concerned about whether the RPK is considered an LMG across the UK. All I've had to suggest it might not be considered an LMG is the word of US airsofters and hypothetical rules discussion based on opinions whether it should or shouldn't be. I'm thinking the RPK probably is considered an LMG in the UK though as I haven't turned up anything to suggest otherwise in the few UK milsim site rulesets I was able to find online.

Just now, Immortal said:

It either is or it isn't, consideration shouldn't come into definition.

It's an LMG spawned from the AK with enhancements to replace it's predecessor. :)

True and I fully agree but apparently in the US there are milsims that do not allow the use of RPKs as SAWs because they are as easy to wield as any AR. I get the impression that isn't the case over here in the UK on account of no one seeming to know what I'm going on about. I think I'll just get one :)

2 hours ago, Lollingsgrad said:

Before this gets too derailed I'm mainly concerned about whether the RPK is considered an LMG across the UK. All I've had to suggest it might not be considered an LMG is the word of US airsofters and hypothetical rules discussion based on opinions whether it should or shouldn't be. I'm thinking the RPK probably is considered an LMG in the UK though as I haven't turned up anything to suggest otherwise in the few UK milsim site rulesets I was able to find online.

I wouldnt get to bogged down down with what the US does and doesn’t consider a support weapon as their Milsim rules can be vastly different to the UK organisers, as I said before if you want some clarifications why not approach a few of the better known UK organisers and ask them what their approach would be.

If you need contacts I’m more than happy to supply some for you

Well, personally I'd be surprised if anyone didn't consider it to be an LMG, but.......if a site say's 'that's not an LMG' then why not just use is as a regular AEG? It's not that different from an AK as far as you own usability goes, and if the site doesn't think it's an LMG then they must be fine with it being an AR. Use just one hi-cap mag if there's an ammo limit, stick it on semi, and if they say 'well that's too much like an LMG' then tell them to make their bloody minds up :rolleyes:

(alternatively take some mid-caps from your existing AK just in case, if the site doesn't allow hi-caps for ARs)

The only problem I can think of is if it was chronoing between 350-370, but personally I keep my LMG below 350 anyway. I'm happy to trade 20 FPS for no minimum engagement distance. 

Archived