Recommended pistols for snipers?

Beowulf
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hello fellow airsofters! Im 28 years old and new to airsoft. After extensive research and studying from the internet and youtube, I have been recently looking into what gears to buy. I’ve decided to become a marksman role and so I’ve chosen the MK14 EBR GBBR as my primary. The reason for this it can easly change in between sniper and rifle, therefore I wont be stuck into one style of play. As for the reason for going for a gas system is because I dont really like the sound of the AEG.

I’ve also looked into the rules of the airsoft fields around me and I’ve concluded that I would indeed need a handgun for CQB while I’m playing as a sniper. So as of now Im stuck and having a hard time in choosing a pistol. The reason behind this is that reviewers dont tell me specifics on how far or accurate the gun fires. So im here to ask is there any airsoft pistol out there that you’ve seen or experienced  that fires really accurate and far out of the box? Hopefully with full metal parts.

image belowe is a list of accessories Ill buy to put on my primary:

FBF475C5-E1AC-4682-8440-C0B8B92F1A3B.jpeg

The Tokyo Marui MK23 pistol is supposed to be pretty solid out of the box, not sure if it's full metal or not though. The Hi-Capa 5.1 is one with plenty of aftermarket parts to improve it over time, so that's one to consider as well.

2 minutes ago, poachedeggz said:

The Tokyo Marui MK23 pistol is supposed to be pretty solid out of the box, not sure if it's full metal or not though. The Hi-Capa 5.1 is one with plenty of aftermarket parts to improve it over time, so that's one to consider as well.

Tokyo Marui only make full polymer pistols to comply with the laws in Japan. (If I can recall that correctly)

I know for a fact the MK23 SOCOM Gen 2 is a polymer with alloy internals, and it's known by snipers to be one of the best. Quoting the store description
"the TM is the ultimate version – just adjust the hop, fit the suppressor and you’re sniping people at 50+ metres with a pistol! Yes, they really are as good as people say!"
Drawing from personal experience, I thought I had been sniped due to the distance until I saw the guy was using a MK23 with the Suppressor lol, was well outside my hire kit M4A1's range.

I'm pretty sure the MK23 (for range) or a Glock model (for full auto) are the most common airsoft sniper's pistols (on Youtube).

If you are using a bolt action sniper which is quiet, it’s best to use the TM mk23 because like the bolt action, it’s quiet. The disadvantage is the trigger is sh*t. 

As youre using a WE ebr (I suggest you budget for a steel trigger mech, because it will go bang) quiet isn’t going to really be an option so you may as well go with a GBB pistol as the triggers are much nicer.  TM make the most reliable and accurate, but they are plastic. If that bothers you, get a WE. Realistically you don’t used pistols all that much to need it to be perfect. If your loadout allows, an mp5k on a sling will serve you much better. 

27 minutes ago, poachedeggz said:

Oh right! I’ve remember Novritsch saying the the TM’s were easily customizable lots of times. Ill keep that in mind! Thanks!

I’ve got a mk23 with a crazy jet barrel and maple leaf bucking and I key. The range on it is crazy. But a GBB pistol, be it a Tm, We or anything else will be much better in a Cqb situation where the range is short but the speed of engagement is high. The trigger pull on the mk23 is heavy. It’s good for that silent, undetectable, long range shot. A GBB pistol is great for room clearing because you can empty a mag as fast as your finger will move. If you play woodland, I’d suggest the mk23. Less effected by cold and more suited to an open environment. 

"... is there any airsoft pistol out there that you’ve seen or experienced  that fires really accurate and far out of the box?"

Yes indeed: The Umarex/KWA H&K 45 Humbly linked to my very own review (where there's a further link at the end to Airsoftology's review and he also rates it very highly indeed). 

Easily shoots out to 30 yards+ on .25s (approx 310fps) right out the box and 40+ is possible with the right BB weight/hop setting. Quite good on gas, it's a metal slide so you can use powerful Black and MAPP gases rather than worrying about breaking your plastic slide. Officially H&K licensed. Nice trigger feel, lovely grip which suits all sizes of hands (comes with 2 back straps). Almost ambidextrous apart from the safety/decocker.

In short: I love it.

Downsides: It has a plastic outer barrel, (doesn't affect the pistol adversely, quite the opposite but I've replaced mine with a steel outer purely for the realism), it and it's mags are expensive and holsters are expensive and difficult to find.

Mine must have done up to a good 9000ish rounds or more now and the spring inside that retracts the gas valve has bust, as has the spring that makes the safety/decocker "click" into position. Still fires fine, in hindsight I think .25s are the ideal weight for this, no lighter no heavier. Wind permitting I'm easily hitting a conker tree trunk 45 yards+ on .25s with Guarder Power Up Gas, .24s seemed to over hop and not necesarily go any further and .28s too heavy and fell to earth, .20s just ridiculous.

On the other hand, to be fair, maybe you need a full auto pistol as your rifle will reach out to a distance and you need a close quarters yaargh-get-the-fcuk-out-of-my-face type weapon?

6 minutes ago, Wo1f said:

I’ve got a mk23 with a crazy jet barrel and maple leaf bucking and I key. The range on it is crazy. But a GBB pistol, be it a Tm, We or anything else will be much better in a Cqb situation where the range is short but the speed of engagement is high. The trigger pull on the mk23 is heavy. It’s good for that silent, undetectable, long range shot. A GBB pistol is great for room clearing because you can empty a mag as fast as your finger will move. If you play woodland, I’d suggest the mk23. Less effected by cold and more suited to an open environment. 

Wo1f is bang on with this one.  I've tried MK23 and Glock so it really depends on what style of play and the site you will be going to regularly - if its woodland and you will be using a Ghillie then MK23 but if it's urban then go for room clearance.  

I've just finished overhauling my sniper rifle and I'm looking to purchase an ASG MP7 as a new sidearm as I mostly play at Urban Sites...just need to find a way to holster it now as its a bit large... 

33 minutes ago, LightningCh said:

I'm pretty sure the MK23 (for range) or a Glock model (for full auto) are the most common airsoft sniper's pistols (on Youtube).

Yeah, I forgot bout the full auto Glocks. A lot of people use them as well but I think they can be hard to come by.

You can get mp7 specific leg/thigh holsters or if you don’t run around too much, a single point sling is a much cheaper option. I’ve ran my TM mp7 with a single point sling around my neck and my MWS DMR in my hands. Weapon selection and loadout is all about your play style. I knew I was setting up in an overwatch position (the pub at Anzio) and the only time I was going to need my secondary would be if the building was overrun, so a sling was ideal. If I was moving a lot, a holstered pistol and extra mags would have been much more efficient 

• Supporters

I'm a fan of TM and WE glocks and they're a common sight on fields near me. 

I'll also attest to how good the TM MK23 is. Excellent sidearm and great fun to play with. 

So I’ve looked into the MK23 by TM and in conclusion I would only use it if were truly fully metal. Reason being, that after purchasing all the gear, im gonna have to go into budget mode and I dont want to end up buying spare parts later on. But in all honesty this gun should something all guns in the market should do. Im surprised  that nobody has made a full metal kit for such a popular gun.

Wondering if there are any 1911 contenders.

• Supporters
8 minutes ago, Beowulf said:

The TM 1911 hi capa is very good. 

The real mk23 is a polymer lower. The Tm doesn’t need a metal slide because it doesn’t move anyway. It doesn’t feel as nice as something like a VFC FNX45, but it’s not going to break unless you do something stupid with it. It will be far more reliable than any GBB pistol

i love the mk23 but and heres the but , its mainly down to how silent it is and thats due to being none blow back and adding a suppressor to it , otherwise the gun size iteself is huge and the trigger pull is horrid for rapid follow up shots! but it is a lot of fun, to make the most out of it you need to purchase the tdc cover mod , which allows you to adjust the hop without removing the slide and it also retains the hop position and doesnt slowly move like the original one does, with the tm you need to blank off the pressure relief valve on there mags to use green gas, you can buy asg mags which dont come with the valves but they dont feed the bb's anywhere near as good as what the tm's do and can actually jam up in the rack of the mag causing dry firing!!  how ever the gun itself is a lot of money for what your getting imo , the trigger is pretty annoying for fast shooting , it loads the bb on the first trigger stage and at the end of the pull it fires it, so it has a long pull which i have messed up in a cqb situations trying to fire it too fast, the gun is best used imo as a primary in a carbine kit but using more of a stealth sneaky aimed accurate shooter style! as the range and accuracy is amazing despite the barrel length ,heres two carbine kits iv made for mine ,

DSCF0664.thumb.JPG.3407cdde543ded41697af0c2fb9761a8.JPGDSCF0676.thumb.JPG.59b962c8aab6b0ae9103af2d16a6f88a.JPGDSCF0688.thumb.JPG.3cf02c9b876cc49a3bd228b4a6cf21c6.JPG

1 hour ago, Beowulf said:

So I’ve looked into the MK23 by TM and in conclusion I would only use it if were truly fully metal. Reason being, that after purchasing all the gear, im gonna have to go into budget mode and I dont want to end up buying spare parts later on. But in all honesty this gun should something all guns in the market should do. Im surprised  that nobody has made a full metal kit for such a popular gun.

A.) Good plastic > Metal. You will end up buying more parts for any metal we pistol than a plastic tm.

B.) 1911s (single stack at least) aren't too great due to the small gas capacity in the magazine. They can struggle to empty a full magazine. If you got a hicapa or any other double stack 1911 you wouldn't have the same problem.

The Mk23 is the most plausible option here. 

Don't disregard it due to being plastic,

I have had mine since '06 and it barely has a scuff on it. 

It really is uber quiet. However, getting a decent holster that holds it without dumping the magazine or flapping around like a landed marlin on your thigh can be an issue. I dropped a lot of money on a dedicated Mk23 LBT holster for mine. 

1 hour ago, Beowulf said:

So I’ve looked into the MK23 by TM and in conclusion I would only use it if were truly fully metal. Reason being, that after purchasing all the gear, im gonna have to go into budget mode and I dont want to end up buying spare parts later on.

the none metalic parts is not an issue here, a company has produced a metal slide for it but IMO its pointless, waste of money as its just not needed unless you want the look/feel but then again thats all its going to do,, plastic parts internally with any gas gun as far as im aware will actually improve the performance especially when the temperature drops ..,

There is the perfect place to find a (albeit, rather expensive in terms of holsters) dedicated holster for the MK23 + attachments... it's not very mil sim looking but its practical for skirmishing, and its right here on the forum when you search for TM MK23 Holster. :)

On 06/09/2017 at 8:49 PM, Prisce said:

Combat UK have just released a MK23 holster for £45, look them up on Facebook to have a look at that. Failing that there is:

https://www.socomtactical.net/DTD-MK23-Pistol-Locking-retention-holster-Black

Simple to use, a bit different. And a (emphasis on A) video i watched says it won't dump mags (whether its modded to do so or what, i don't know.)

for a holster for the mk23 +suppressor , the chest rig i use {viper spec ops} has a velcro pouch {think its actually for a regular pistol?} and i just had to cut a bigger section out the bottom  , the guns big enough that it cannot fall through and because its high up the suppressor wont dig into the floor when kneeling down ,im guessing most chest rig setups have some thing like this that you can secure the mk23 down out the way ..

I’ve got the DTD holster. Thing is amazing. No chance of it falling off, and releases quickly. There’s a large, thin button between the gun and your body. When you grip the gun, your thumb naturally finds it and you pull the pistol free. I don’t think there is a quicker option in terms of deployment. Disadvantage I guess is the weapon is exposed to more damage. 

• Head Moderator
3 hours ago, Wo1f said:

As above, I also have the TM Mk23 with Crazy Jet barrel, TDC mod, Maple leaf and I key. Being non-blow back the pistol is very gas efficient and quiet. Great for CQB in low light as well.  There are several topics about this, just search on Mk23.

You have a choice of two above all else:

TM MK23 

or a Glock 18c

The MK23 is large, but extremely quiet and accurate, a perfect assassin pistol.

The G18c is full auto for when you get pinned down and want to spray and pray.

You could do TM for the glock, or WE has done decent glock models too.

The TM G18c is a great bit of kit. My brother recently bought one and loves it. 

I would certainly go TM for whatever you are going to buy. 

Archived