GBB Or AEG

BB27
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

AEG, especially if it's your first time buying. 

AEG. 

I mean theres no reason you *cant* get a GBBr for your first gun, but you will hate it and heres why:

- This is England, where its always cold and miserable and your gas gun will not work for 10 months of the year.

- You will have 28 bbs in your magazine, everyone else will have 500+ in their hicaps

- the magazine cost £50+ each, compared to £10 for AEG midcaps

You say youre "going to start" which to me implies youve not been to a game yet, go to a game, use a rental gun and see what you like. 

I have used a TM M4 MWS in very cold weather and semi auto is fine with green gas in colder times of the year. 

If you want a realistic rif that my be temperamental then go for a higher end GBBR. 

If you want something that will work out of the box (*if* the batteries are charged, wires not loose, fuse not blown, gears not stripped, air nozzle not loose or any other fragile part not broken or worn) then go for an AEG. The TM recoil versions are nice. 

I have had FAR more AEG issues than GBBR issues in my 12 years of airsofting. 

Out the box, (generally) hassle free, spray & prey, with a limited budget = AEG

If you have experience with gas guns, want realism, like tinkering (in general) and deep pockets  = GBB(R)

If you haven't played a game yet, do that first. There's no point spending hundreds on something if you find it's not adding to your game experience or fun factor. If you haven't got a UKARA number yet it would be a shame to paint a GBBR two tone, more so than an AEG (IMHO). Maybe think of the GGBR as something to build up to.

Whatever you get, it's likely to be the first of many... so long as you enjoy the sport to start with. :)

i wouldn't personally go for a GBB for my first gun if i were you for reasons people have already said..
If its the recoil/ blow back you'd like, or want a little more realism, have a look at EBB rifles instead, they are fun and you can still use hi caps if thats what you are in to :)

(just make sure you get an extra battery or two)

gbb is a totally different experiance and at times you do feel abit at a disadvantage going against people that have what feels like unlimited magazine capacity and triggers stuck to full auto , though the feeling/experiance you get from it is way better then aeg , theres no motor whine just a nice thwack!! with abit of recoil, GHK m4 is what i use along with tm mk23, no issues with the cold weather play for me , just uses more gas and the fps will be slightly lower, just have to stay on top of  maintenance which is real simple for the m4 and a hell of alot easier then aeg IMO , just buy replacment o-rings for mags , tool for the mag valves and an AR15/m4 barrel nut tool straight away! ,  i clean the barrel and hop rubber to remove any silicone oil/contaminants , remove mag valves and oil the seals manually with silicone oil to keep them soft/supple, inspect the bolt and chamber for any foliage/dirt that may of gotten in, i do this after 2 games or so and dont have any problems, takes less then 20mins to do , some dont even bother and there ghk's work fine, but as others have said AEG is probably more for you at this time , but if i was in your situation idd be thinking i really want a gbbr why the hell am i wasting money on an aeg?!!!! tbh theres still times when i want to use an aeg over my gbbr and its only because of the full auto/hi cap mag and simplicity of it. theres deffo a place for both aeg and gbbr if your serious about airsoft.

I definitely agree with everyone's response above!

When I first started airsoft I didn't know what was what, I bought any good looking M4 AEG at that time (I think it was an ICS 16) and some 9.6v crane battery.

After a few events and a s**t load of youtube research, I started understanding the complicated stuff like the internal parts/upgrades and best batteries.

It's all too much to take in in the beginning, but soon it will all click in. 

My advice is to keep it simple and don't splash out a lot of money like I did. I had 20 guns at one point, now I have 3 LMAO.

Buy a primary AEG with high cap magazine, either an SMG or a Rifle and a secondary common pistol (Glock). Ensure the velocity is no higher than 330 as sometimes chrono would read as 340+ and that will prevent you from playing at most CQB events.

once you actually get to know AEG's, if your friends have GBB try theirs and if you like it and understand how they work, then make way towards buying a GBB.

I believe these are the order of steps players usually start and eventually "upgrade" to.

1) AEG

2) GBBR + GBB Pistols (C02+Green Gas)

3) HPA GBB

4) HPA + SOLENOID DROP IN KIT (polarstar)

Some players go right back to AEG. It's all completely down to your likings.

hope this helps

AEGs started to bore the heck out of me. 

I am never bored with my GBBR. 

I don't see why not. As long as you buy a good one and properly maintain it you shouldn't have any problems. I personally much prefer gbbs to aegs as when it fucks up it's a lot more intuitive to get it fixed. The problems usually present themselves loud and clear whereas in an aeg things are not necessarily as clear.

GBBR's are expensive to run and maintain.

Granted there are fewer parts in them to go wrong, but again, the most famous saying is: 'Gas is temperamental'

Electric is more reliable both mechanically and whether dependant.

You might not even like airsoft. So if you're interested in a particular load out, i.e. British infantry, Russian spec ops, etc, then go with what you like, i.e. L85 etc, but generally new starters get a cheap AEG for their first gun. I bought an Umarex G36C for £130 off patrol base when I started, if you don't like airsoft, you can just sell it and not make a huge loss.

If you do go with gas, the reliability and expense will be more likely to put you off the sport more quickly. So think about the pet peeves of both and go to your local site and rent a gun & ask the regulars for their advice. We're all a friendly bunch, so don't feel silly asking them!

I started on electric and now own a GBBR and a few gas pistols, but I know what I'm in for now, but I want the realism after playing with AEG's. 

Remember, gas is for gimmicks, electric for sensibility. (Gonna get hate from the gas guru's now haha!)

Hope this helps ya dude :D

1 hour ago, Chris_B said:

1. GBBR's are expensive to run and maintain.

2. Granted there are fewer parts in them to go wrong, but again, the most famous saying is: 'Gas is temperamental'

3. Electric is more reliable both mechanically and whether dependant.

You might not even like airsoft. So if you're interested in a particular load out, i.e. British infantry, Russian spec ops, etc, then go with what you like, i.e. L85 etc, but generally new starters get a cheap AEG for their first gun. I bought an Umarex G36C for £130 off patrol base when I started, if you don't like airsoft, you can just sell it and not make a huge loss.

4. If you do go with gas, the reliability and expense will be more likely to put you off the sport more quickly. So think about the pet peeves of both and go to your local site and rent a gun & ask the regulars for their advice. We're all a friendly bunch, so don't feel silly asking them!

I started on electric and now own a GBBR and a few gas pistols, but I know what I'm in for now, but I want the realism after playing with AEG's. 

5. Remember, gas is for gimmicks, electric for sensibility. (Gonna get hate from the gas guru's now haha!)

Hope this helps ya dude :D

First I totally agree with you. Just going to give the opposing side of the argument for anyone who cares. This is very strongly my opinion.

1. Once you have got over the initial cost (Buying lube, magazines and possibly an npas/limiter discsdiscs etc.) your only REGULAR cost is buying gas. With proper maintenance problems shouldn't arise too often and if you regularly disassemble and look after your gun you can usually catch wear so you can fix(bodge) things before they need replaced.

2. Fewer parts yes. I also think it's clearer what the parts do which means it's easier to diagnose problems.

3. Well can't argue with this one but weather can be mostly circumvented by switching between gases depending on weather (Black is cold - Green is normal) or just not shooting as much as fast. Some people might find diagnosing, fixing, maintaining fun - don't get much of that with an aeg.

4. Ask people who own a gas gun and ask how much they've spent and how often things have broken on them to see if you really can afford/want to go gas.

5. I think gas fun when you can't hit sh*t, electric is to hit sh*t is more fitting.

If you buy a used gas gun and decide you don't like it you could always sell it on for not much if any loss but be careful since you could be inhereting somebody elses problems. Same goes for an aeg.

The other thing to consider is that you are solely relying on your 'fuel' or green gas as we know it to make your gun perform, and you need to estimate how much gas you'll be using during a days skirmishing.

Green gas is expensive, I'm only saying that because when you compare it to standard propane, it is. That's why most gas owners refill their own bottles with propane to save costs.

If you love taking intricate mechanical systems apart and you have that mind set on how mechanical things work, I think you'll probably end up with a gas gun (only if you're commited to airsoft)

Gas

- Gas guns are more expensive to buy new

- magazines are 3-5 times more expensive than AEG's but it's actually realistic

- Green gas is more expensive than charging a battery

- Higher maintenance than AEG's

- They are soo frekking cool to shot

- Recoil far more realistic than EBB

- Not much to upgrade, upgrade parts are more to prevent premature wear.

- They operate as close to the real thing in terms of firing mechanism

Electric

- Cheap to buy new

- Mags are little as £10 each

- Batteries are relatively cheap, costs pence to recharge.

- maintenance can be a little slacker compared with Gas

- More moving parts in AEG

- You'll end up upgrading it, it's a fact.

- Tonnes of upgrade options for a certain brand/ make

I know this totally looks biased, but it all depends on your initial investment costs.

You can save up £500 and buy a ready to use already upgraded gas rifle that won't need to be touched for a year or two.

Or

Buy a cheap AEG on a budget and slowly upgrade it, eventually costing the same as a ready to skirmish GBBR.

Sorry if I've waffled on, just my opinion, please feel free to bash it and put it wrong, criticism most welcomed :D

12 hours ago, Chris_B said:

The other thing to consider is that you are solely relying on your 'fuel' or green gas as we know it to make your gun perform, and you need to estimate how much gas you'll be using during a days skirmishing.

Green gas is expensive, I'm only saying that because when you compare it to standard propane, it is. That's why most gas owners refill their own bottles with propane to save costs.

If you love taking intricate mechanical systems apart and you have that mind set on how mechanical things work, I think you'll probably end up with a gas gun (only if you're commited to airsoft)

Gas

- Gas guns are more expensive to buy new

- magazines are 3-5 times more expensive than AEG's but it's actually realistic

- Green gas is more expensive than charging a battery

- Higher maintenance than AEG's

- They are soo frekking cool to shot

- Recoil far more realistic than EBB

- Not much to upgrade, upgrade parts are more to prevent premature wear.

- They operate as close to the real thing in terms of firing mechanism

Electric

- Cheap to buy new

- Mags are little as £10 each

- Batteries are relatively cheap, costs pence to recharge.

- maintenance can be a little slacker compared with Gas

- More moving parts in AEG

- You'll end up upgrading it, it's a fact.

- Tonnes of upgrade options for a certain brand/ make

I know this totally looks biased, but it all depends on your initial investment costs.

You can save up £500 and buy a ready to use already upgraded gas rifle that won't need to be touched for a year or two.

Or

Buy a cheap AEG on a budget and slowly upgrade it, eventually costing the same as a ready to skirmish GBBR.

Sorry if I've waffled on, just my opinion, please feel free to bash it and put it wrong, criticism most welcomed :D

100% agree!

• 2 weeks later...

for gas , i buy propane 400g bottles for plumbers blow torch, use a madbull propane adaptor which then allows you to fill your mags up, you can also buy the mapp gas version which i recently found out works amazing for cold weather, doing it this way as opposed to buying airsoft green gas { which is propane with a little silicone oil mixed in for lubrication } works out a hell of alot cheaper, And the only real replacment parts iv actaully had to buy was o-rings for the mags, but then i do have a ghk which are supposed to be the dogs boii0x!

Archived