Looking to get into competion shooting

Oli.Hanks
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I definitely suggest finding some beginner and intro days at Bisley. There's where it's at when it comes to shooting in the UK.

You also want to think about what kind of equipment you want to shoot on, be it air rifle, .22lr or larger calibres. Remember to own a firearm, you will need to have a suitable residence where a police approved gun safe can be secured to the floor and walls. If you want to go into .22lr rifle, then it's hard to go wrong with a Ruger 10/22 - it's what most people start on and will last you a long time, but these are conversations you can have with very experienced people if you choose to spend a day or two at Bisley. Shooting is an expensive sport in the UK - firearms and ammunition here have far higher retail prices than other countries, the appropriate secure storage for them is very costly, and you will need to undergo a period of time as a shooting club member before you'll be eligible to apply for a FAC. The cost and politics involved - especially when it comes to certain clubs that have been around for decades and don't really like "newbies" coming in - is one of the reasons I stopped target shooting when I came back to the UK. Most shooting clubs I've heard are fine, but there are always a few dotted around the place which are made of old timey buddies who don't like outsiders coming in and taking up space. Again, a day or two at Bisley speaking to different people will definitely crop up some recommendations local to your area.

If you go down the airgun route, things get infinitely easier, there is a wider choice of clubs, the cost of the sport reduces dramatically, and you have the added bonus of being more likely to be able to practice at home if you have a large enough garden that isn’t too close to a road.

Wow that is fantastic advice i already own an FAC but i wish i was more specific i meamt precision shooting in airsoft like the 3 gun vompetitions etc. Sorry... that being said i still might go down to bisley and try my hand there thanks 

• 3 months later...

I'd love to get into it but I know my funds don't stretch that far.

I've just joined an airgun club that shoots competitively and love it

Archived