Similar power but cheaper TLSFX MK9 bangs?

Readman97
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hey guys, I've been using the TLSFX MK9 thunderflashes recently and they're perfect for outdoor sites, I've checked with the site i play at and they're fine with them, so does anyone know of thunderflashes of a similar caliber but don't cost £10 a pop?

Please don't say EG mk5s, they're not even in the same league as a proper mk9 :)

Any particular reason for wanting anything more than mk5 ? One of my team mates uses mk5 grenades and they arent exactly quiet even in woodland lol. Only need to kill them not their hearing lol 

Realy I wouldn’t recommend MK9s for recreational use

As a comparison the following videos from a few years ago compare a Mk5 and a Mk9, the camera microphone isn’t up to picking up the volume difference as microphones filter out loud noises to avoid damage, but they do show the difference in the explosions with the light

I already have a degree of deafness primarily from ear damage from rave, festival & stage loudspeakers 

Pyro hasn’t helped too much since then 

I don’t recommend buying pyro based on price - you can save money by purchasing in bulk, but if x brand is cheaper than y brand on a like for like basis I’m wary on safety

Ive already had a team mate blown up by sloppily assembled pyro - the production line had lack processes and they contaminated the fuse with the payload, instead of:

strike

burn

bang

he experienced strike bang, all of which was on camera in a burst sequence 

His glove was ripped apart, and he had full face goggles which luckily meant his flesh and face weren’t subject to the explosion

The photos went on the wall of the factory 

Mk5 is perfectly adequate for pyro that’s being thrown at people 

(I’m not going to be two faced and go totally against Mk9s as I do use different kinds of pyro at events, but Mk5 has the desired

effect with a big enough bang to be noticed and a shock factor to distract)

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎19‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 4:16 PM, Tommikka said:

Realy I wouldn’t recommend MK9s for recreational use

As a comparison the following videos from a few years ago compare a Mk5 and a Mk9, the camera microphone isn’t up to picking up the volume difference as microphones filter out loud noises to avoid damage, but they do show the difference in the explosions with the light

I already have a degree of deafness primarily from ear damage from rave, festival & stage loudspeakers 

Pyro hasn’t helped too much since then 

I don’t recommend buying pyro based on price - you can save money by purchasing in bulk, but if x brand is cheaper than y brand on a like for like basis I’m wary on safety

Ive already had a team mate blown up by sloppily assembled pyro - the production line had lack processes and they contaminated the fuse with the payload, instead of:

strike

burn

bang

he experienced strike bang, all of which was on camera in a burst sequence 

His glove was ripped apart, and he had full face goggles which luckily meant his flesh and face weren’t subject to the explosion

The photos went on the wall of the factory 

Mk5 is perfectly adequate for pyro that’s being thrown at people 

(I’m not going to be two faced and go totally against Mk9s as I do use different kinds of pyro at events, but Mk5 has the desired

effect with a big enough bang to be noticed and a shock factor to distract)

I play mainly open woodland and mk5s are pretty much like a party popper outdoors, i got a few tlsfx mk9s and they were sh*t hot, but I've leaned mire towards their thermobaric grenades now, good bang, plenty of smoke, nice flash, certainly a lot better, on a side note, the royal marines often turn up on site and im not sure what they're using but bloody hell i want a few of em haha, health & safety is all well and good but if nobody is calling your mk5s, its time to go bigger..

Just because someone isn't calling a hit from a grenade isn't an excuse to get something louder.... IMO that's just irresponsible and down to the staff at your site to sort out if people arnt taking grenade hits... thats like saying someone isn't taking a hit from my gun so ill crank up the FPS until they do. I don't think I've been to a site that even allows mk9's unless part of a prop that the site staff have control over! The only times I've been able to use anything personally above a mk5/9mm blank is playing on military bases where some organisers allow the use of 12g/magflash etc some allow rook scarers which to me (this is my personal opinion having not looked into the db rating) just louder that a mk5 or on the same level as a 12g. I actually recall an incident i heard about where someone had a mk9 rigged to a remote det which the person in question didn't have line of site on and damn near took a guys leg out while laying close to it.

Thermos are awesome as are multibang's... i tend to find that the TLSFX mk5 strikers are sh*t so stick with thermos and multibangs when I go to woodland sites and a mixture of the latter and reusable's on urban sites primarily with .209 in.

14 hours ago, Readman97 said:

I play mainly open woodland and mk5s are pretty much like a party popper outdoors, i got a few tlsfx mk9s and they were sh*t hot, but I've leaned mire towards their thermobaric grenades now, good bang, plenty of smoke, nice flash, certainly a lot better, on a side note, the royal marines often turn up on site and im not sure what they're using but bloody hell i want a few of em haha, health & safety is all well and good but if nobody is calling your mk5s, its time to go bigger..

Ditto what @clumpyedge said 

not taking grenade kills from mk5s is no excuse for mk9s

Regarding the marines, unless they are booking the venue as TOPL - training over private land, then they better not be using non recreational pyro to play games

The Marines have had a very bad press in recent years with a number of their individuals, the Cavalry set fire to their mess playing silly buggers with maritime flares in the pool.  Luckily for the individual concerned he used a maritime flare and hadnt purloined a military flare and was only found guilty of arson & had to pay £10,000 compensation to one of the people he almost burned to death

Thermobarics - yes

Health and safety - i’m very adverse to H&S idiots, but I’m very much H&S for what goes into our pyro.  It’s all fine when things go well.  It’s very nasty when they don’t 

Even in the most sterile environment things can go so far wrong you wouldn’t believe so on a site where you could have anywhere of 100+ more people on site with you it’s not just the site that should have a duty of care it’s also yourself. If you know the damage something can cause to another person then it’s worth rethinking.

I try to always think - if I was on the receiving end of this how would I react, easier said than done in some situations, but ones you have absolute control over - for example something you’re using against someone, It’s worth taking a second thought over.

Your site obviously allows them for a reason but I would question what sort of risk assessment was done on them considering they are powerful enough to take more than just fingers off. 

13 minutes ago, clumpyedge said:

Even in the most sterile environment things can go so far wrong you wouldn’t believe so on a site where you could have anywhere of 100+ more people on site with you it’s not just the site that should have a duty of care it’s also yourself. If you know the damage something can cause to another person then it’s worth rethinking.

I try to always think - if I was on the receiving end of this how would I react, easier said than done in some situations, but ones you have absolute control over - for example something you’re using against someone, It’s worth taking a second thought over.

Your site obviously allows them for a reason but I would question what sort of risk assessment was done on them considering they are powerful enough to take more than just fingers off. 

The site is so open that mk5s really don't cut it in terms of volume as the sound dissipates so quickly, you obviously don't throw them directly at someone, that's asking for injury, more in their general direction, everyone on site knows they are dangerous so it adds an element of fear, really gets the adrenaline going when you see a fizz of sparks coming over the hill! Not to mention that all players wear full surplus gear for protection from brambles etc, when used with common sense they are perfectly safe, look at over in Germany, mk9s are on the lighter side of what they use lol.

Im not denying that they can be dangerous, all pyro is dangerous, a mk5 can do just as much damage to someone, but they are certainly reasonably safe when used along side a bit of sense :)

52 minutes ago, Readman97 said:

The site is so open that mk5s really don't cut it in terms of volume as the sound dissipates so quickly, you obviously don't throw them directly at someone, that's asking for injury, more in their general direction, everyone on site knows they are dangerous so it adds an element of fear, really gets the adrenaline going when you see a fizz of sparks coming over the hill! Not to mention that all players wear full surplus gear for protection from brambles etc, when used with common sense they are perfectly safe, look at over in Germany, mk9s are on the lighter side of what they use lol.

Nothing about that reply even remotely sounds good. Also just because another countries rules differ from ours doesn’t mean it’s right or safe. 

34 minutes ago, Readman97 said:

For indoor usage and CQB its mk5 or 9mm blank Max on most sites, for wide open woodland, most allow more powerful pyro.

Again - I’ve not been to a site that allows players to use anything more than a 12g/room for personal usage, care to tell us the site you play at?

1 hour ago, Readman97 said:

For indoor usage and CQB its mk5 or 9mm blank Max on most sites, for wide open woodland, most allow more powerful pyro.

1 hour ago, snuff said:

I thought sites limited bangs to MK5's?

Certainly in my (paintball) experience it would be mk5s or thermobarics inside and in the past up to mk9s outside, but in more recent years the trend is down to mk5s outside

As an event organiser we would tend to use the same grades as we would allow players to use but have used higher levels depending on the event and effects

I have had experience of faulty pyro exploding in hands and an organiser blowing apart the floor of an tower embedding half of it in his head

I’m no angel with regard to pyro and conducted some things in my teenage years that I would  not publicly confess to, there are comments on here that wouldn’t give me good feelings about the site.  It may be an unofficial site that doesn’t consider the implications, or a formal business that doesn’t sound like its conforming to risk assessments in line with public liability insurance 

Safety is not a dirty word

Why are you so worried about making more noise ? The kill radius is quite small and a mk5 will be heard within this radius, you don't need the team to hear it from across the site lol. 

15 hours ago, lemon191 said:

Why are you so worried about making more noise ? The kill radius is quite small and a mk5 will be heard within this radius, you don't need the team to hear it from across the site lol. 

Mk9s are standard practice for outdoors, i just cant justify £160 for 20 of em though lol

• Supporters

This is a forum, a forum is used for discussions of like minded people. Discussing which sites allow certain pyros is just like discussing FPS limits.

Some sites only allow 340, some allow 360, if you don’t like what they allow, don’t go. No one is going to complain and get it changed. Just informs people before they get there.  

And to be honest, the way you went about it makes you sound a bit.... unique?  You could have just said, I’d prefer not to say. Kept it civil. We all like the hobby on here, and we all have different experiences and preferences. To start belittling someone who has different views to you is just stupid.

• Supporters

Jedi is going to have a field day with this thread when he gets back.. 

Just now, Gepard said:

Jedi is going to have a field day with this thread when he gets back.. 

Yep, was thinking the exact same thing.

• Head Moderator

Not even 1800 hrs, I am only on my pre-dinner aperitif so will need at least half a pint of what some members on here have already been drinking.  I have Dr Who to watch so will keep this simple. All posts that were too bellicose have been removed or redacted. Whilst I appreciate a forthright exchange can be entertaining for others to read I think this needs to stay on topic and clam. Be nice to each other, or at least civil @Readman97 and @ImTriggerHappy.

• Head Moderator
23 minutes ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

Edit: Did you just redact the word b*ll*cks? Lol

Yes. Because... ;)

Respect.jpg

4 hours ago, Readman97 said:

Mk9s are standard practice for outdoors, i just cant justify £160 for 20 of em though lol

Exactly your paying more for extra noise, the mk5s will give you what you need to get the job done. Don't get me wrong loud bangs add to the experience of the game but is it worth the cost ? For me it wouldn't be. If you have players not taking the kill then that is probably due to the players honesty not the grenades noise level 

• Supporters
22 minutes ago, clumpyedge said:

Dammit I missed It all

It went like this he talked crap and insulted you and acted like a child.

So I insulted him and basically said he was a bullshitting idiot. He then tried to call me a keyboard warrior and offer me out for a fight because he is so scary lol.

Then Jedi deleted it.

Archived