Mk6 or mk7

Oneshotonekill
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi guys I’ve just built myself a british loadout but the mk6 keeps on falling off of my face because it doesn’t have the proper straps unfortunately so I had to improvise. Now I can treat myself to a mk7 but is there any difference in weight cos the mk6 is a massive lump on my head. And weighty. Is it worth changing 

Cheers george 

mk7 is about 30% lighter and has better chin straps, but the cobra is meant to be better than both 

• Supporters

If you've got the funds, go for a Mk7. You can pick it up on eBay for about £60 now!

I have the Mk6 and it's not very comfortable to wear even when fitted perfectly so you're not missing out. 

Haven't ever seen a cobra in person but it looks pretty cool. Not something I'd ever want to drop £500+ used for though.. 

12 hours ago, Gepard said:

If you've got the funds, go for a Mk7. You can pick it up on eBay for about £60 now!

I have the Mk6 and it's not very comfortable to wear even when fitted perfectly so you're not missing out. 

Haven't ever seen a cobra in person but it looks pretty cool. Not something I'd ever want to drop £500+ used for though.. 

When they come down in price, they would be perfect for airsoft with the integrated visors methinks

• Supporters
9 hours ago, AshOnSnow said:

When they come down in price, they would be perfect for airsoft with the integrated visors methinks

I'm still waiting on the day ODST helmets appear on the market. :lol:

• Supporters
17 minutes ago, Oneshotonekill said:

Do you still wear the mk6 helmet and have u got a british loadout  

I used to run an impression kit and still have the gear but I've opted for a more lightweight and low profile look nowadays.

• Supporters
5 minutes ago, Oneshotonekill said:

Oh right yeah I go light weight when I go with my striker but when you was wearing it did it stay on your head and did u make any mods to it 

It fits perfectly so I never needed to modify it. You can get comfort kits made of foam but I've heard they cut off the air flow. 

• Supporters
6 minutes ago, Oneshotonekill said:

Ok m8. I’ve modded mine with chin straps from a mich 2000. Would that do the job or do I need the proper chin strap 

How did you manage that? I thought the Mich 2000 has a 4 point mounting system for the chin strap whereas the Mk6 has 3? 

Right well what I done was very easy. I just put 2 through on one side and 2 on the other and the strap flaps down as it should and the clip on the other side stays where it is and the chin does what it should and both sides can be adjusted as well. 

• Supporters
9 minutes ago, Oneshotonekill said:

And do the British Army use anything else other than mk6-mk7 helmets. 

You've got the Mk6, Mk6A, Mk7 and the new revision cobra. I heard snipers were issued with modified Mk6As which have the backs cut away for aiming whilst prone. Everything else has been phased out.

• Supporters
17 minutes ago, Oneshotonekill said:

So no fast helmets. I think there only the yanks that wear them. 

I don't think so. Perhaps the UKSF or if our forces were working in conjunction with the JSOTF or CJSOTF then they may wear different uniforms but for your average infantryman it's listed as above. 

And yet again its on me to point out that Mk7 are still listed as prohibited items and should not be bought or sold.  Issued kit being sold is theft, please do not support it.  If you want a Mk6/7 go to a decent surplus store where you know its come through the correct channels.  Although, I would be suspicious of anything over a Mk6 being sold.

• 1 month later...
  • Head Moderator
19 minutes ago, Oneshotonekill said:

Hi guys do the British wear anything else other than helmets for head protection 

What apart from a helmet would offer head protection? 

1 minute ago, Jedi_Master said:

What apart from a helmet would offer head protection? 

Serious amounts of hair gel?

• Head Moderator
2 minutes ago, Duff said:

Serious amounts of hair gel?

Yes, ballistic gel slows the rounds down ;) 

1 minute ago, Jedi_Master said:

Yes, ballistic gel slows the rounds down ;) 

LMAO that legit made me giggle out loud.

OT what's a Mk7?

• Head Moderator
3 hours ago, Duff said:

OT what's a Mk7?

Mk7 is the newer helmet introduced in mid 00s (2006 ish) to replace the older Mk6 which came in during the mid to late 80s.  Updated design and protection.

Archived