Tokyo Marui GBB pistol recommendations (open to other brands)

LightningCh
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hey all,
I assume this kind of question has been asked hundreds of times over and you are all probably sick to death of it but, I thought I might as well see if I can get any recommendations for them in a newer thread.
As my profile suggests, I'm new to airsoft (I have an AEG lined up, just got to actually get the money to buy it).

But anyway, actually onto the main part, I'm looking for a GBB pistol, and it would definitely be used (I use a rental pistol often and really enjoy it, pushing the range to catch out the AEG players). Everyone recommends things like the TM G-Series, or the 1911, or the M92, etc. and I see them all the time on site, but for that reason, I don't really want to follow along side them. Kind of want something "different" or just more eye catchy than a "generic" G-series or M92. (at least in my experience these are just standard go to guns, and probably for good reason. But I prefer being a little different if the option is there)

As a quick list to the things I have looked at to give you all an idea

• TM HK45
  • TM 5.1 Hi Capa
  • TM FN 5-7
  • AW Hex Cut Black/Silver
  • WE Dragon (heard and read a lot about how these are very inefficient though)

I am also open to any CO2 recommendations as apparently they are a good alternative for efficiency? (Wouldn't know, havent seen many on site to compare)

Note: Budget isn't such an issue, up to ~£200 on the pistol alone is fine by me, I'll use it enough to get my money out of it

Any recommendations are appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

• Supporters

TM hi-capa 4.3 ftw

Hi mate, I'll keep this short and sweet.. 

The WE dragon, scrap that for sure.

Definitely go for the TM hi-capa 5.1 standard or the TM hi-capa gold match, which in my opinion is the superior version, I have both, including non upgrade, slightly upgraded and highly upgraded.. 

Get the hi capa keep it standard for the winter, maybe just a simple upgrade like the magazine gas router, then in the summer if you choose to, upgrade and customize it. :)

ATB Marc 

TM P226 E2 is a stunningly good gbb. 

Very accurate, great range, fits in the hand nicely. 

• Moderators
6 hours ago, Dentonboy said:

TM P226 E2 is a stunningly good gbb. 

Very accurate, great range, fits in the hand nicely. 

that's next on my list :), currently only got a TMGLK17...why not....i have a M4 so a commoner :lol:

Hey guys, thanks for the suggestions so far, been looking at them when I've had chance :)

Just realised I missed off a side question though and that's about gas and TM. There seems to be a rumour about all these guns and having their slides explode or fail with standard green gas (like nuprol 2.0), i highly doubt this is true but is it still better to stick with the recommended 1.0 low power gas? (At least while it's under warranty haha)

• Moderators

heard similar as well or read it??....... just use ASG gas from Firesupport....mine fires bb's fine and only use it CQB anyway, had no issues :) 

Like I said, it seems to be a rumour on site and in a few american forums and such. Was just curious about if it's really a thing is all since TM pistols are polymer.

Either way, ill look at the gas when i get home, thanks :)

I use standard green gas and pure propane  in all my tm pistols as do most people here in the UK to be honest, never had a slide break yet, I'm not saying it will never happen though any gun can break, I've heard of just as many full metal we pistols slides breaking as I have tm pistols.. 

In the winter you will not want to use anything less then standard power green gas in your tm guns, in the hot summer days you could use a lower power gas like nuprol 1.0 or Abbey 144a if you wanted too, to put less pressure on the gun, I use standard power all year round.. 

ATB Marc 

Alright, fair enough, thanks for the input on that mate. I'll keep it in mind :)

Anyway back to the guns.

Still undecided on it but the 5.1 hi capa gold is looking like a real contender. The 4.3 i can't honestly see the appeal of compared to the 5.1 (not too sure how the length would really affect the airsoft world) The P226 looks nice, especially on the price point. But judging by other posts I'll have better luck with the 5.1. (Although i tend to get bad luck regardless haha)

Feel free to keep adding recommendations! I won't be picking up a pistol til after Christmas I imagine, so plenty of time to look at other options.

• Supporters

Performance wise they barely vary, so what do you like the look of?

After trying many over the years my go-to is the 226E2, I've done literally nothing to it and it's performed flawlessly for years.  But any hi-capa will work great, the Berettas are very good as are the M&Ps and the HK guns.  The 1911s are just as reliable and accurate etc as anything else you just don't get as much gas in the thinner mags, that's the only significant consideration I can think of if you're planning on shooting your sidearm a lot at outdoor games in winter.

Used to be that holsters were a big consideration, but these days you can buy universal ones that are actually decent and there are custom kydex guys in the UK who can make anything you like for any airsoft sidearm.

I have two HK45s from TM, a standard tactical one in tan with suppressor, which I use for CQB days, and love, consistent, easily gets two mags out of each fill and feels well built. I also own a standard normal HK45 all in black, which I have since fitted Detonator SAI Metal Slides to for a bit of bling and durability, and love that, find myself always going for my sidearm indoors, it gets some abuse. Uses a little more gas with a metal slide but still getting to mags, did have to smooth the frame down a bit to ensure a smooth action and it seems to fit just find in the viper universal holster, except for when I go over window ledges and stuff where it doesn't always retain.

Personally I like the Hi cappas out there but never understood what all the raving was about, nicely made bits of kit, and seem to perform well when I have borrowed the odd one, I prefer the more modern stuff.

Overall from my experience with TM GBB pistols they have all been good :) definitely worth getting the correct speedloader adaptor though for magazines.

16 hours ago, LightningCh said:

Alright, fair enough, thanks for the input on that mate. I'll keep it in mind :)

Anyway back to the guns.

Still undecided on it but the 5.1 hi capa gold is looking like a real contender. The 4.3 i can't honestly see the appeal of compared to the 5.1 (not too sure how the length would really affect the airsoft world) The P226 looks nice, especially on the price point. But judging by other posts I'll have better luck with the 5.1. (Although i tend to get bad luck regardless haha)

Feel free to keep adding recommendations! I won't be picking up a pistol til after Christmas I imagine, so plenty of time to look at other options.

To be honest mate if you get any TM pistol I think your be happy, I also like my TM US M9 it performs well, and it sexy as hell being a beretta lol, but all of my Hi-capas out perform it in all areas. If you want to check out my YouTube channel I have plenty of videos on the Hi-capas, some including taking about the difference between the standard 5.1 and the gold match, also talking about basic upgrades, and even doing a custom build on video, and a whole lot more. I'm sure your find them helpful and interesting.. 

Your doing the right thing buy getting peoples different opinions on guns and not rushing into anything, and I'm sure even when you buy a pistol your going to end up buying more anyway lol :)

Happy Shooting 

ATB Marc 

1 minute ago, Marc.RG1 said:

"I'm sure even when you buy a pistol your going to end up buying more anyway"

The most truthful statement you will read today, I only wanted one gun... :( 

Kind of in line with Marc's comments, most people would even let you have a bit of a blast with their side arms of choice to get a feel for it, at least that's my experiences from my regular CQB site.

6 minutes ago, elys1ur said:

Kind of in line with Marc's comments, most people would even let you have a bit of a blast with their side arms of choice to get a feel for it, at least that's my experiences from my regular CQB site.

Yup I was the same years ago, I thought one or two guns would be enough, now I'm starting to lose count lol, definitely lost count of how many I have owned in total. Too many guns so little time.. 

That's one good thing about the shooting sport/hobby in general, not just airsoft, in most cases it's very friendly and you get yo meet and shoot with bunch nice and like minded people. 

Happy Shooting all. :)

Hey guys, thanks for the recommendations and advice so far :D
Since they came through so fast I'll quote the things I want to mention.

29 minutes ago, CKinnerley said:

there are custom kydex guys in the UK who can make anything you like for any airsoft sidearm.

Thanks for mentioning these guys, I will have a look at them once I get the pistol :)

20 minutes ago, elys1ur said:

definitely worth getting the correct speedloader adaptor though for magazines.

I did buy a legitimate TM 108 Speedloader with the pistol adapter (110 round capacity one) so for once buying branded worked out haha

15 minutes ago, Marc.RG1 said:

To be honest mate if you get any TM pistol I think your be happy, I also like my TM US M9 it performs well, and it sexy as hell being a beretta lol, but all of my Hi-capas out perform it in all areas. If you want to check out my YouTube channel I have plenty of videos on the Hi-capas, some including taking about the difference between the standard 5.1 and the gold match, also talking about basic upgrades, and even doing a custom build on video, and a whole lot more. I'm sure your find them helpful and interesting.. 

Your doing the right thing buy getting peoples different opinions on guns and not rushing into anything, and I'm sure even when you buy a pistol your going to end up buying more anyway lol :)

Happy Shooting 

ATB Marc 

I like the way you self advertise ;) haha, I will 100% check it out, I am putting so much research into this, like seriously, so much XD  Want my first guns to be some that will survive and last. hence why I'm buying "expensive" for a first gun with the Krytak CRB and a TM pistol (obviously there are more expensive out there, but still £300 for the CRB)

5 minutes ago, elys1ur said:

I don't even have a gun yet but the more I look at, the more I want haha, but I unfortunately only have a little bit of space to store guns at home :(  so need to make these first 2 guns count!
And I have noticed that the communities at sites will let you try any of their guns (had a guy hand me his Novritsch SSG24 at my last game which was mad)

Thank you thank you lol..

Your doing the right thing by researching mate and not rushing into anything, even more so being your first guns.. Another reason why I think you should go for the gold match then, it will last, but also if/when someone on it does break your not have to spend ages trying to hunt down the replacement or upgrade part, they are everywhere lol. 

Also if you wanted to if or when you upgrade it you could even run it off co2 if you wanted to, I recommend a few internal upgrades and 100% metal slide before that though but to be honest, whenever I recommend Hicapas to people I always say, the gold match is a hi-capa that really does not need any upgrades it's great right out of the box and is better then the standard TM 5.1. I say to people if you want a hi-capa that you want to upgrade, like changing the barrel, slide or whatever go for the standard 5.1, as it's cheaper and if your going to be changing parts why spend extra and extra again. 

Or even better just buy both, keep the gold match as it is,  and upgrade the heck out of the standard hi-capa 5.1 as a project gun.. :)

Being on a tight budget myself though I know some people are not made of money and have to save up or do things over time, which is another reason I like the hi capas, they are good project guns. 

One of my custom built Hi-capa cost around £450 for me to build but it has been done over about 9 months and I'm still adding to it now, it's a beast to be honest, but I know it's built to last.. 

If ever your in Brighton, give me a shout you can come round and test all my guns no problem, I'll butter the wife up with a coffee and chocolate so she will not mind the noise lol :)

ATB Marc 

Yeah,the Gold match is starting to really stand out to me now. Just watching your videos on it :D 

6 minutes ago, Marc.RG1 said:

Or even better just buy both, keep the gold match as it is,  and upgrade the heck out of the standard hi-capa 5.1 as a project gun.. :)

Being on a tight budget myself though I know some people are not made of money and have to save up or do things over time, which is another reason I like the hi capas, they are good project guns. 

If ever your in Brighton, give me a shout you can come round and test all my guns no problem, I'll butter the wife up with a coffee and chocolate so she will not mind the noise lol :)

I don't personally have a tight budget as such, I'm just tight with how I spend it haha. So I will most likely follow that advice in the future as i can store a lot of pistols in my room (can throw all the books and stuff on the floor to empty drawers for them lol), just no room for rifles.

And once I'm able to travel around more for airsoft, I will most likely stop by and hold you to that gun testing chance :) I'll probably not have room to build up my own personal armoury anytime soon, so using someone else's will be easier lol.

May I suggest the KWA H&K45?

40 yards+ range on .25s out of the box and it's got a metal slide (although it comes with a plastic outer barrel, I've replaced it with a Guarder steel one).

KWA/Umarex H&K .45 GBB  Airsoftology likes it too, there's a link in my review.

I really love this pistol - it's super reliable in game, even yesterday at literally freezing cold Urban Assault and that's with a steel outer barrel.

It is pricey though.

Hey mate,

6 minutes ago, Defender90 said:

May I suggest also the KWA H&K45?

No. You can't suggest anything on this topic because I said so :P 

Joking, thank you for the suggestion, I will look into it! I'm pretty sure I did see Airsoftology's review on it, or at least on a similar model. I will double check,

Thanks again :)

Archived