ICS Split gearbox, two guns in one

PopRocket123
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I've had this plan in my head for a while, building an ICS split gearbox gun with 2 different uppers and a Gate Titan, one with a 6" barrel shooting 1J for CQB and the second with like a 16" barrel shooting 400fps and a scope as a DMR. The Gate Titan means I can lock it to semi for the DMR and 3 round burst for CQB. Anyone tried this before? I want to know if anyone has had fitment and alignment issues using receivers and gearboxes from mismatched guns.

So, things to know are...

Does an ICS split gearbox fit and function in non ICS receivers?

Can a Gate Titan be fitted into the ICS lower?

And can you decide on a compromise motor /gearing combination that works for both a dedicated semi only and a full auto application.

22TPA, 11.1v and 16:1 gears (actual 17.28:1) gets you just over 20rps and should pull an M120 in semi auto without breaking a sweat...

56 minutes ago, rocketdogbert said:

Why would they be mis-matched? Two ICS uppers and ICS upper gearboxes, can’t see any reason why they wouldn’t fit 

In my experience, airsoft recievers aren't to the same tolerances as real steel so they are often hand fitted. This means that they don't always fit flush to each other if you mix and match. They will probably fit but I wanted to know if anyone had tried it and their experiences.

37 minutes ago, Hangtight said:

Does an ICS split gearbox fit and function in non ICS receivers?

Can a Gate Titan be fitted into the ICS lower?

And can you decide on a compromise motor /gearing combination that works for both a dedicated semi only and a full auto application.

22TPA, 11.1v and 16:1 gears (actual 17.28:1) gets you just over 20rps and should pull an M120 in semi auto without breaking a sweat...

Not going to bother replacing the reciever. ICS ones are alright so I'll stick with that. Plus I doubt they would since most other receivers have a small tab at the back of the upper to hold it in with one pin.

As for gearing and motor, I want to optimise it for the DMR role. Not too fussed about ROF since it's still going to use precocking and most CQB sites restrict you to semi anyway.

13 minutes ago, PopRocket123 said:

In my experience, airsoft recievers aren't to the same tolerances as real steel so they are often hand fitted. This means that they don't always fit flush to each other if you mix and match. They will probably fit but I wanted to know if anyone had tried it and their experiences.

We should try fitting our various G&P receivers in different combinations and see what works... Or doesn't. But now I know we can get individual ICS components it shouldn't be an issue.

21 minutes ago, Hangtight said:

We should try fitting our various G&P receivers in different combinations and see what works... Or doesn't. But now I know we can get individual ICS components it shouldn't be an issue.

That's not a bad idea. maybe that'll make your CA8 receiver actually fit something

Archived