Is it safe to spray paint a G&G CM16?

ozboz3000
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

i want to paint my G&G cm16 raider L and i will wrap it in painters tape and spray paint the bits that dont have tape on them but as im new to airsoft and dont know/trust myself to take the gearbox out is it safe to spray paint the main body with the gear box in

Honestly, I wouldn't start spraying paint where the vapours can settle in the gearbox - it'll wreak havoc with the lubrication and cycling. Either go slow and take it apart, or have someone do it for you.

Its MIGHT  BE safe, its likely best to take the box out (which isnt hard surprisingly).

But if your unsure its probably best to either, strip it and do it properly, or get someone else to do it.

• Supporters

If you seal the the barrel, magwell and trigger slot (and any holes at the bottom of the handgrip) I can't see how anything is going to get in there.  The stock Chinagrease isn't going to be that bothered by a bit of solvent fumes, it might even help to reflow it better.  I'd do it, but I'm a bit pikey that way.

That said, it's really not hard to strip down an M4 and not much to go wrong. There are plenty of guides out there, just take it slowly and don't lose any bits.  It's a very satisfying process once it's all back together.

• Supporters

Do the real steel method. Plug the barrel with something that you can take out later, close the dust cover, put on your boots, go outside and put the gun on the ground. Spray paint in the vague direction of the gun from 10-30cm. Then repeatedly kick the gun carefully until it lays on its other side so your hands won't get paint on them, repeat. Wait a little, shake the dirt off and remove the plug from the barrel. Done.

Then just use it. For some final extra detail, spray some black paint on the muzzle end, being careful not spraying inside the barrel.

This will give the bestest real seteel-est look and I'm not even kidding.

Well, it's about what look you are after.

This looks great RS (I know it's not paint)

Rusted-Ace-M16.jpg

These look like gun skins from a video game:

photo-1-1024x768.jpg

I'd recommend Krylon Super Matt from the camo range if you do spray it. The finish is amazing even if you've never sprayed before and drys very quickly. Just avoid runs and mask/block as others have mentioned - this brand of paint is quite forgiving on runs unlike others and the colours are really solid.

If you want a weathered look; another way that is effective is a "Salt Mask". Literally make a salt paste (water + salt) and brush it on where you want the effect before painting, let it dry 100%, spray, then once dry use a wet scourer on a sponge to remove the salt which in turn takes unfixed paint with it. I'd remove all the internals if doing this method...

When I paint rifles/pistols I prefer to block all openings with kitchen roll/masking tape then put it barrel down over a wood dowel rod fixed to a rotating base so you can rotate it as you paint. This gives access to every side of the piece at the same time with no physical contact. You can also do a continuous pattern if doing camo much quicker. No swaying and free spinning like with hanging from threads. It keeps the barrel clean too.

Regardless If you do strip the gun to paint just mask the interlocking areas as a coat of paint can make the difference of it all fitting back together easily or not. And if not cured properly it may glue the parts together. I prefer to keep them constructed if the piece allows.

Archived