UKARA registration form needed

Steptoe
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

Yeah, it looks offline for me too. I'm pretty sure I have a blank form on my computer somewhere. I'll see if I can find it for you.

• Supporters

Good work.

Does it bother anyone else that UKARA appears to be run out of a bedroom in a faux-wood clad semi in Cowdenbeath?

Just me?

Who runs it[*]?  To whom would I file a subject access request?  Who owns the database?  Is it backed up?  Is it secure? What happens if the maintainer goes out of business, or rage-quits, or gets data-hijacked, or hit by a bus?

Little bit bothered.

[*] OK, the owner of Airsoft World.  But it's hardly obvious.

• Supporters

41 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Does it bother anyone else that UKARA appears to be run out of a bedroom in a faux-wood clad semi in Cowdenbeath?

Yes, it bothers me a lot too. Last time it was down for several months supposedly because the site had been hacked and they wanted to prevent the data from being stolen. The official response was that they were updating their server but it shouldn't have taken that long so I don't know if that holds any merit. Now it's offline again with no explanation that I can find and so soon after the "update".

Honestly at this point I think it's easier to get a site membership than go through the UKARA system, especially for new players. 

1 hour ago, Rogerborg said:

Good work.

Just me?

Who runs it[*]?  To whom would I file a subject access request?  Who owns the database?  Is it backed up?  Is it secure? What happens if the maintainer goes out of business, or rage-quits, or gets data-hijacked, or hit by a bus?

Little bit bothered.

[*] OK, the owner of Airsoft World.  But it's hardly obvious.

Zero in gave them their old server..it'll be ok:blink:

• Head Moderator
14 minutes ago, Gepard said:

Honestly at this point I think it's easier to get a site membership than go through the UKARA system, especially for new players. 

It is easier to get site membership, and you need to have that membership before getting onto the UKARA database.   Unless I am missing something?

• Supporters
5 minutes ago, Jedi_Master said:

It is easier to get site membership, and you need to have that membership before getting onto the UKARA database.   Unless I am missing something?

No, you're absolutely right. It seems like I need to read up about the system again.

Just seems to me like they are suppose to be setting a regulation, however they are very informative and also seem to be unreliable. 

Is is there any other way to prove to a shop when buy weapons a defence? Would they accept a site membership over a ukara number?

53 minutes ago, Steptoe said:

Just seems to me like they are suppose to be setting a regulation, however they are very informative and also seem to be unreliable. 

Is is there any other way to prove to a shop when buy weapons a defence? Would they accept a site membership over a ukara number?

It would depend on the shop - site membership would comply with VCRA legislation 

Contact the shop you are considering buying from 

• Supporters

Not sure if this will help but the UKARA site may be run by Landwarrior as rogerborg said, but I know of at least 2 other site owners who are admins to the database so can add/edit what needs to be done.

Dont forget UKARA isn't a profit making organisation, they don't charge for checking members or anything else, so I'd cut them some slack.

This being said, since it's been "updated" it's been working like its powered by an asthmatic hamster in a wheel. Hopefully we will get a reason as to its poor performance before long.

• Moderators

I thought Firesupport had something to do with it, or is it head if the East cartel ??!! :lol:

Anyway I renewed mine at weekend so let’s see what happens.....

They don't charge players because it's a Retailer system funded by Retailers, for the benefit of Retailers.

There is no slack needed. If it were to benefit players properly it would be funded by sites and operated independently of retailers and would be called something sensible like the British Arisoft Club... oh wait :D 

A better solution would be to offer sites a player management system where players could book in and pay and automatically register their games regardless of site they play at. Then sites just have an incentive to feed data into a central register because it also provides them with a booking system that means one time data entry.

After all a defence is demonstration that you're a skirmisher, not that you're registered with UKARA.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Prisce said:

Dont forget UKARA isn't a profit making organisation,

United Kingdom airsoft retailers are though.  It's their scheme, run for their benefit - they're the ones who are committing the offences, and they need the defence, not us.

Granted we have an interest too, but at the end of the day, retailers want to sell to us and if UKARA ever does go titsup.com I imagine that retailers will be happy enough to accept any credible defence that we're prepared to offer them, knowing that if they don't, someone else will.

Oh, wow.  I've just realised.  UKARA appears to be run by Airsoft World (same address).

Airsoft World seem to accept a purchaser having https://www.just-cos.co.uk/ cosplayer insurance as their defence. Er, because theatrical? Well, that's really up to them.

So if you want to bypass UKARA, you can pay £20 and then buy from the chap who runs UKARA. :lol:

Mine was supposedly renewed recently but I have defence at a few sites so TBH as said above as long as you have defence your ok.

UKARA is a superb idea mind especially the self-check which produced a reply e-mail confirming defence which I have used on here.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, snuff said:

UKARA is a superb idea mind

Sure, it's a pragmatic solution to a daft problem.  I just don't want anything happening to it.

1 hour ago, snuff said:

especially the self-check which produced a reply e-mail confirming defence which I have used on here.

The what now?

2 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Sure, it's a pragmatic solution to a daft problem.  I just don't want anything happening to it.

The what now?

What?:wacko:

I've been playing a while now tbh and already own RIF's just thought it was about time i actually sorted a UKARA number, but then when i go to try, the site was down and i couldn't obtain the form :) 

appreciate all the advice and comments,

Thank you 

Archived