Advice needed my son is new to the sport

barrycamfield
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for advice as my son is new to this hobby/sport, looking to get him set up for Christmas presents, aged 14 what would be the best equipment to get him started ie: protective clothing and armor also guns ie pistol and riffle. He likes outdoor games.... Budget £700

Thank you in advance.....  

• Supporters

This gets asked a lot so I'll be brief.

Play a few games with him if you haven't already using rental kit before you start spending hundreds on something he may not even like. 

Under 18s are required to wear full face protection such as paintball masks. 

CYMA, JG and G&G make decent starter guns at low prices. I'd avoid a sidearm for now. They're typically not needed and rarely get used. 

One high cap magazine can last an entire round if you're not too trigger happy. If you're doing a lot of reloading a battlebelt or chest rig would suit his frame best I'd think. 

The pinned posts have all the information you require. I suggest reading them if you need further help. 

• Head Moderator

As suggested, read all the pinned (sticky) topics, start here:

A good pair of boots, a good quality full face mask, i.e. Dye i4 as he is under 18, and a pair of gloves.

No armour, he needs to feel the BBs hitting him and if he cannot take the pain then maybe should not be playing airsoft. However, a helmet will protect his head and you can hear BBs bouncing off it.

Would recommend an AEG and not a gas gun, two batteries and an iMax B6 balance charger.  Better to just buy a better quality rifle and not a pistol as well.  You can always get him a pistol in the future.

I've only been playing 7-8 months and things I'd recommend to get started:

Bolle Tracker II glasses < £10

One Tigris foldable face mask £6 ebay clone or £15 from Amazon,

Gun mounted torch with pressure pad <£20 Amazon

Bear Tactical Exo gloves £16

Magpul MS2 type sling £7

Viper knee pads £12

Bates tactical sport boots £30-90

Those would be my day one first game wish list. It's all very cheap. But start from the top as you can afford move down. First two are essential. Then you can move on to vests, ubacs, trousers. But don't rush into a gun until you've played a few sites. Pick one that meets your style of play. Long gun or short gun, basically. Leave the pistol until you're really into it.

• Supporters

+1 to all of the above.  I have a pistol, but the only time I ever draw it is when I run out of rifle ammo (but mags are cheaper) or am holding a grenade in CQB.  Outdoors, he'll really only ever need a rifle.

Depending on the site, they may require adult supervision, either on site or in game.  In practice, at least until he's got his face known.

The MOST common injury in Airsoft is ankle twist.

So get a proper boots with ankle support, even if he gives up from sport and never plays again, he might still use it in future so a decent buy would never be a waste.

As you are not sure if he is going to like or not, i wouldnt say get Dye facepro for now, I think full face mesh mask would do the job for couple of games but even before that, you should take him to games and let him try couple different type of guns (rentals include face protection so you dont have to get expensive gear until you make sure he IS going to play the game).

Maybe he is a Mp5 or AK lover, rather than M4 platform that most beginners get, you dont know yet...

Also, getting a camo trouse and a tshirt can get him excited, it's all looks anyways.

• Supporters

Everybody is recommending good quality protective kit, which is great obviously, regarding guns, your budget is good, I'd recommend you both play the appropriate number of games at your local site as rentals, allowing you to get your ukara, then you can purchase rifs & "gift" them to your son, which is perfectly legal, negating the need to buy fugly two-tones.

This qualifying period will also ensure that you both feel the game is for you.

good luck & enjoy.

mark

• Moderators

as all mentioned above BUT more above ref UKARA as well. He wont like rocking up with a bright blue gun and multicam clothes!!....and you both get to experience it, id take my son but he is only 8

you dont really need a torch in woodland games and most outdoor games unless its a night game, then he'll be a target anyway ;). They are useful in some CQB games etc, i dont use mine at Tuddenham anymore and only occasionally at Urban Assault in the tunnel

For face pro, due to age, try one of these...

https://www.fire-support.co.uk/product/black-bear-rampage-tan-full-mesh-mask

or

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/182612450809?chn=ps&dispctrl=1&adgroupid=46781198765&rlsatarget=pla-378868102987&abcId=1129946&adtype=pla&merchantid=110858130&poi=&googleloc=9045888&device=c&campaignid=974199509&crdt=0

best to check with sites he may go to as i think some allow the google / half mask option as well?. Its all to so with insurance.....

other than stuff mentioned by others, baggy clothing is ideal, not skinny jeans! and honesty and sense of humour and fun to enjoy it ;) 

I missed the bit about outdoor. Playing indoor with no torch is no fun at all.

As many have said it is best to get some games in before dropping a lot of money on gear and guns 

If you play as well you would be able to buy RIFs instead of two tones guns, they look better and hold their value better if you choose to sell them at any point. 

Gun wise though 

ASG EVO is compact and light and is a popular choice of gun.

Ares amoeba range , again light and compact and is popular 

Comfy boots that will protect.

Warm clothes, I would look at surplus real steel kit.

Protective kit. Comfy protective kit.

Marui AEG as it will last, hold value and be reliable if looked after.

• Supporters

My lad started when he was 12 (now 20), but still uses full face most of the time, initially I got him a cactus army of two mask, expensive at the time but there are a lot of cheaper knock-offs about now, the rampage masks are also very good, bit like an old skool fencing mask.

both are worth a try, & both are mesh so no misting issues.

• Supporters

Great point. I can get through 2 litres during a game day.  If you're on a large site with long games, you might even consider getting hydration backpacks.

• Supporters
15 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

Great point. I can get through 2 litres during a game day.  If you're on a large site with long games, you might even consider getting hydration backpacks.

Would highly recommend a hydration backpack as an added bit of kit in the summer. I haven't ran it in the winter so much, but it's nice to have for when you want a quick drink without heading back to the safe zone.

You'll be able to piece together what you need based on this thread and the sticky threads on the forum... Also check out the classifieds on here for a bargain AEG (electric gun, not a gas one).

As a few people have mentioned, and I'll reinforce it.... BOOTS!

If he's playing outdoor especially..... It's easy to lose your footing normally on most of the outdoor sites in the UK, never mind when you're getting pelted by BBs and running a top speed! 

Nothing says "Merry Christmas" like a broken ankle... Oh wait... 

Archived