Am I misunderstanding the laws regarding privately selling RIF’s

Matjb2512
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hello all,

I’ve been out of the sport for a number of years now, and it’s reached the point where it just doesn’t make sense to keep my kit stored any longer. As such over the past fortnight I have been making efforts to shift the two RIF’s I still own. I have had lots of people express interest, but on every occasion those people completely shut down any communications the second that I ask for some form of Defence. So far I have been requesting either UKARA or site membership. People seem very surprised when I have asked them for this, one responded that a Defence isn’t required for private sales (which I’m quite certain is an incorrect assertion).

Has anyone got any advice for me? I’ve used a couple of seemingly popular second-hand airsoft trade sites but am consistently running into this wall. At this point I’m considering just asking my local site whether they would take them off me as a donation to use as rentals, but these are pretty decent bits of kit and I’d feel pretty gutted to just give them away. 

Yep, you need to confirm the buyers defence, no matter whether it’s a private sale or not.

Stick ‘em up on the classifieds here, our team are better at it. 

If its any solace, I’ve had exactly the same issues on “those” sites

rdb

• Supporters

I always confirm that a buyer has a UKARA before selling to them. It's an offense to sell an RIF to anyone without a defense. That way my arse is covered if anything happens in the future. 

Pop them up here, I'd be interested in seeing what you have for sale.

• Supporters

Basically you need to feel satisfied that the potential buyer is a genuine airsofter, & yep ukara or a site membership is prob the easiest way.

but you could also look at a persons "history" within the airsoft community, which could include long term forum membership, which in turn shows post count, feedback etc, & even general attitude as a person, same goes for FB , look at age & attitude, as well as associated airsoft page related input.

all these can tell you whether the person is a sensible knowledgeable player with a genuine commitment to our pastime, or alternatively a mouthy know nothing chav kid who may bring nothing positive to the game.

I'm an example of this, currently no ukara (but have had it previously), no site membership, but I have substantial feedback & post count going back years o a number of forums, plus FB page that has  pics of me playing, as well as confirming I'm nearly 50 & a family man with a sensible attitude to life.........simples :)

• Head Moderator

The two key points are proving that they are over 18 years old and have a valid defence to buy a realistic gun. No exceptions to the law even for private sales.

I would love to be able to buy the SIG 226 clone but as I don't have a defense, it's as simple and plane cut as look but don't touch.

If you have ANY doubt about if the person offering to buy the RIF holds a defense then no sale. You will NEVER find someone in the forum who will think poorly of you for declining to sell your items, and if you ever did, they won't be around for too long.

First rule: Protect yourself and protect your family. The law doesn't care if you sold it in good faith. They will hold you accountable for the sale and will punish you accordingly which will also effect your family.

(^o^) I wish you huge luck with the sales.

Tom.

• 1 month later...

A bit overkill but would you sell a real gun to a person without a license? Nope. (I hope).

Similar thing with RIFs. I wouldn't sell to anyone without a UKARA because if God forbid they do something stupid, you'll get it in the neck.

Archived