Hard bb's

Dredd
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hey guys I am picking up a vfc Ashbury tomorrow and I have read online that you should use hard bb's with it because due to the feeding mechanism they can split, can anyone give me a link as to which ones to buy because I'm slightly confused because it says the heavier the bb's doesn't necessarily mean there harder.

thanks

• Supporters
41 minutes ago, Dredd said:

I have read online that you should use hard bb's with it

Shouldn't you be asking whomever made that assertion what they mean by hardness, and how it relates to brittleness?  I'd be minded to think that a more elastic plastic would be less likely to split.

Geoff’s BB’s are good. Lots of people use them in GBBR’s because they seem to take the beating well. I use those or the little tubs of heavy ASG BB’s. They’re both nice and consistent with no air bubbles inside 

Are you sure they didn't mean heavy bbs ? As long as you buy decent quality you shouldn't have a issue with breakages. However some guns do feed/shoot better with a slightly heavier weight bb

Geoffs or the draft club bbs are my go to, and both are extremely hard.. 

Some heavy weight bbs such as mad bull can use metal shavings and this does make the bbs soft.. 

Geoffs and the draft club bbs only use solid condensed plastic no matter what what, best bbs on the market in my opinion. :)

ATB Marc 

4 hours ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

Isn't this just another safezone myth?

No mate as some are magnetic, I have tested them I might have a picture somewhere or maybe even some bbs left I'll check later.. 

ATB Marc 

Here you go guys, i could not find my old pictures so just took some new ones. Here are the madbull 0.43 magnetic bbs with the metal shavings..

xzocNwkh.jpg

rfb6QmVh.jpg

ATB, Marc..

5 hours ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

Isn't this just another safezone myth?

5 hours ago, jcheeseright said:

100% 

see my last post guys.. :)

ATB, Marc,,

8 minutes ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

Well bloody hell! 

Dont know how they got them passed as safe to use.

i must admit, when i did my shooting tests with them (only a few hundred shots) i did not have any break inside my gbb guns, had one or two break on impact, but i was soon put off my the metal shaving and how soft they are compared to geoffs and others, and they accuracy was not as good as geoffs either. I guess they needed to add the extra weight some how, but if geoffs manage to do 0.36g with just solid plastic im pretty sure madbull could do so with 0.43g too..

ATB, Marc..

14 minutes ago, Samurai said:

In the safe zone casually slip magnets into players' pouches to get homing BBs.

That's it I'm going to stock up haha

• 2 weeks later...
  • Supporters

I don't see why there's a problem with that, has anyone done a scientific test to prove that adding metal powder into the plastic mix makes them less resilient? 

Obviously it increases their density, but that doesn't necessarily translate into less hardness or shatter resistance. 

Sounds a lot like the old myth that 'bio BBs aren't safe because they can shatter into your eyepro'. 

• Root Admin

I remember reading some time back that they were forced into using some hygroscopic plastics with the metal powder. Whether this was because or in spite of the metal powder I don't know, so that could all be nonsense. The reason I don't like some of the older metal-powder heavier stuff it because it's usually dyed like the Guarder ones, so it's impossible to see where you're shooting.

I don't think any of us use BBs to their breaking point anyway. It's true that some GBBs benefit from a harder BB but typically only the nordic people have muzzle energy limited high enough to really test the difference between some of the top-tier BBs.

• Supporters
6 hours ago, jcheeseright said:

I don't see why there's a problem with that

How much metal are you personally prepared to accept in there before you don't consider it an airsoft BB any more?  I'd the line to be drawn at zero, to avoid slipping down any slopes.

• Head Moderator
14 minutes ago, proffrink said:

I'd have no problem with any amount of metal but plastic

What about 100% steel BB ?  Airsoft Extreme or as I call it Air-X (plastic is for pussies :lol:)

• Supporters
52 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

How much metal are you personally prepared to accept in there before you don't consider it an airsoft BB any more?  I'd the line to be drawn at zero, to avoid slipping down any slopes.

Basically every BB above .25g has something in it that's not plastic, there's no way to make them heavier without. 

• Root Admin
25 minutes ago, Jedi_Master said:

What about 100% steel BB ?  Airsoft Extreme or as I call it Air-X (plastic is for pussies :lol:)

I mean so long as it's within site limits for weight and muzzle energy then I'm not fussed. By all means fire some steel BBs :D

• Supporters

Don't we keep making the point that airsoft guns can't be converted to shoot steel projectiles?

Fortunately SCA 2017 doesn't actually require that, just that they be designed to shoot plastic, but it's not a box we'd want to open.

Archived