Electric Rifle Weights - options

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Team,

I’m after some advice on finding a very light rifle.

My dad is 81, only target shoots, and loves his TM Hi-Capa. Recently, he’s been thinking about a rifle. He shot my partners TM MP5, really liked it.

He tried my scruffy SCAR, similar weight to the MP5, and found he couldn’t really hold it up for very long.

So, I’d like to find him a super light rifle, what options can you suggest?

Thanks in advance

rdb

There's only so light you can go, but maybe it's about where the weight is? A bullpup is going to carry its weight a lot closer to the shooters centre of mass and will always be easier to shoulder and shoot for extended periods. Perhaps an AUG?

Just now, Hangtight said:

There's only so light you can go, but maybe it's about where the weight is? A bullpup is going to carry its weight a lot closer to the shooters centre of mass and will always be easier to shoulder and shoot for extended periods. Perhaps an AUG?

Cheers bud. His main problem, apart from being old, is neuropathy in his feet, so he can’t stand for long. What does and AUG weigh, any idea?

I think it's about 3.5 kilos. Quoted weights are one of those things that vary hugely depending where you look!

1 minute ago, Hangtight said:

I think it's about 3.5 kilos. Quoted weights are one of those things that vary hugely depending where you look!

I know, they vary wildly, I’ve been looking lol. I think 3.5 is too much though

3 minutes ago, EDcase said:

Could he shoot sitting at a table resting on elbows?

Lightest I can think of is a CYMA polymer M4

Cheers Ed. He could, he often shoots his Hi-Capa this way, but feels it’s “cheating” somehow lol

Any idea how heavy the CYMA is?

2 minutes ago, EDcase said:

Quoted as 1.8Kg

Tell him its taking tactical advantage of the available resources ;)

A soldier will always take advantage of a rest point if available...

Thats awesome mate, and a good weight too!

The aug might be heavier but all the weight is at the rear If you get a basic non ris short variant. The gearbox and battery both sit behind the pistol grip and this allows you to let the gun pivot into the shoulder as you use it.

It makes them very easy to carry and shoot. The mags are also all plastic, and there is a good selection of sizes available. The 110-170 round mid caps are superb as they don't rattle and give enough shots that you do not need to constantly swap mags.

Internally the aug uses a V3 gearbox with some slight modification to the trigger setup. So pretty much all parts are easy to get. The only thing you have to watch is the length of the airseal nozzle as there is some deviance in manufacturer lengths.

Out of the box most augs need very little doing, but most do benefit from steel bushings, re-shimming and a metal spring guide if it's a gun you plan to use all the time.

The biggest disadvantages of the AUG are,

It's a noisy gun for the shooter, Your ear sits over the gearbox most of the time. POM piston and cylinder heads go a long way to helping with this, but arn't a necessary upgrade.
They can have some trigger contact issues with the single shot contacts, but parts can be home made for them.
The inner wall/gearbox plate is screws into plastic, and you can very easily strip the threads and have to go up a screw size.
The battery space is limited, but a well selected 7.4v 2200mAh lipo will fit.
The dual stage trigger takes a little getting used to, it can be modified so you get single shot only, and single/full auto. All you have to do is file some plastic from the selector pin. Some of the newer models already have this mod done out of the box.

The best thing you can do is go down to a shop and just pick up and handle as many guns as possible. Then take the model numbers of the variants you like and go searching online for reviews.

• Supporters

The CYMA M4s are pretty light, but if he likes MP5s, why not get one?

http://www.taiwangun.com/en/electric-3/jg070-m5-a4-works-j-g

Is apparently[*] a bit lighter than the CYMA, takes the battery up the bum, and shoots at least as well based on the brief play I had with one.

[*] Although a note of caution, PB shows different weights for the Jing Gongs.

16 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

The CYMA M4s are pretty light, but if he likes MP5s, why not get one?

http://www.taiwangun.com/en/electric-3/jg070-m5-a4-works-j-g

Is apparently[*] a bit lighter than the CYMA, takes the battery up the bum, and shoots at least as well based on the brief play I had with one.

[*] Although a note of caution, PB shows different weights for the Jing Gongs.

I thinks it’s highley likely he will. He got his UKARA last week so no issues there either

Cheers

rdb

Definitely not the CYMA MP5 SD6. That thing weighs a ton. Bought it for my son and was amazed how heavy it is.

If he is just target shooting and I assume wants to improve his aim and get the reward from shooting good groups I would say get a TM VSR basr, you will get the best repeatability from this rifle.

They are also suprisingly lightweight.

Otherwise a decent .177 pellet gun.

36 minutes ago, Davegolf said:

If he is just target shooting and I assume wants to improve his aim and get the reward from shooting good groups I would say get a TM VSR basr, you will get the best repeatability from this rifle.

They are also suprisingly lightweight.

Otherwise a decent .177 pellet gun.

Our range is an Airsoft range, so anything else is out, and he difinitely doesn’t want a single action sniper style rifle at the moment, though who knows for the future lol

39 minutes ago, proffrink said:

Remember in airsoft barrel length doesn't matter much (hehe) so you'd be find with something even smaller like an MP7 or MP5 - there are some very nice ones out there.

Contentious! ;)

Archived