How much is enough?

stig
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Since starting the sport (thanks to my son taking an interest) I've told myself - several times - right, that's enough gun wise. I have more than I can practically use by a long stretch.

So why do I have no restraint when I see another RIF that seems to shout 'BUY ME - I'M A BARGAIN'!!

The vast majority have been used buys and there's no doubt that there are some great (and not so great) buys out there. I love to tinker, so that has helped with various guns having been stripped, upgraded etc which is a process I find almost as enjoyable as using them.

So am I the exception or the rule? Do most stick to one, or two or end up amassing a collection of a dozen or more as I seem to have done (in a relatively short time too)?

I just like RIFs I guess!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Supporters

No simple answer, this is how our "sport" takes a hold with many players (me included lol), yet another guy could own one primary, & sell it to buy something else, whether that's restraint or budgetary constraints, who knows.

A growing collection of weapons is quite common as can be seen in the gun picture thread ;)

I was happy with M4 primary and G18c AEP when I started a short time ago but the list has grown somehow :blink:

Being proficient in the mechanics means you can buy relatively cheap, fix em up and then sell the ones you're not so keen on.

Might even make some profit on sales...

A good situation since you enjoy the tech side and can try the various weapons to keep the ones you like.

...as long as you can let go of the others :D

• Head Moderator

I can see the attraction of having a collection of guns but I have deliberately stayed away from doing that.  Not having UKARA for years stopped me from impulse buying from abroad, i.e. the Gunfire site. Now that I have bothered to get registered the temptation is there.

However, I have one primary and one back-up rifle, a fun shotgun for CQB, and one pistol. My DL-44 pistol is just a desk ornament and not yet used in a skirmish, and there are some others that would buy for the same reason.

I'd be perfectly happy with 1 decent primary, and one cheap spare just in case something goes dodgy.

• Supporters

Simple answer is you can only pull one trigger at a time. 

A primary and a sidearm and good to go. I have bought loads but mainly for flipping. There are lots of people who like to collect them but for me it has no attraction as my only interest in airsoft is playing. 

They are all basically the same anyway.

Simple answer is: 'As many as you want and can afford'

Its also nice to have different style weapons so you can cater to various roles.

I use the M4/L85 with scope for longer ranges and the folding stock, open sights, AK74 for smaller games.  Just to vary...

I always take at least 2 primaries so I have a backup.

• Supporters

I'm quite happy with just a primary. You can spend a lot of money buying all sorts of kit but at the end of the day as long as you've got something that shoots you're all set. 

Having a variety of guns is always fun but certainly not needed. Buy what you want and tailor it to your budget. 

I suffer greatly from this affliction. I think the problem I have is that I like the idea of all of these new guns, but I’ve found that on a game day I’m always reaching for my best performing guns. For the past 10 or so games I’ve ran my MWS gbbr and a Tm 5-7. I must have 15 other guns to choose from, which I love the look of, but my competitiveness always has me reaching for the same setup. 

• Supporters

I think we have fallen into this trap. But, good news, you can grow out of it. My brother and I started in January, and since then, between the two of us we have owned 24 guns. However in the last few weeks we have cut down, he now owns 4, I own 4 and we share 1! (Primary, long gun, CQB weapon and pistol- sharer is support).

The main reason we have kept so many is we like bringing along newbies and letting them try some of the weapons they "could" own rather than the abused hire weapons.

I don't see owning this many is a problem, I have actually made money from buying all those guns fixing them up and selling them on. And we own 4 "hi-end" guns, so there is definitely money to be made!

I have been into airsoft for just short of 4 years & I still use the same primary as I did when I started. 

I own a few spring shotty's for messing about with at home but I have stayed with the same set up simply because it works. 

I own a few different options on behalf of my son, but I'm just not a collector, I don't really have that impulse. 

Everyone is different & everyone takes different things from the hobby. It's what floats ya boat. 

When I started, I happened upon a venerable TM G3 SG1A which was tidy and I was happy.

But then I was offered a great 'package' deal by an associate who no longer plays and that netted me an ICS SIG 552 Commando and a couple of sidearms SIG P226 and a Glock G23.

Then I bought an upgraded VSR... then my biggest 'mistake' ;) a chrono!

The good news from the chrono was that the VSR is almost bang on 500, the SIG almost smack on 350 and the TM G3.... 215! :-o

So that was where the modding started :)

Lots of other puchases since and the G3 is now DMR'd and firing 425fps. With .30s it's a laser!

I like each for different reasons, but definitely find myself becoming more of a collector of the more historic stuff (steel/wood Druganov, M14, M4, SR47 etc) - not that I any room to display due to other hobbies!

Over time I expect I'll find myself coming back to the same loadouts and may thin my collections as a result. Nothing worse than unreliabilityin the field! But until then, I expect it will grow a bit more.

Now, back to looking at CYMA AKs ;)

PS. COD WW2 isn't helping one bit! Now want a PPSH too :)

• Supporters

It took years for me to stop buying guns. It's less about attractive guns for me more about finding a bargain and not being able to resist. Job lots, broken guns. Now I still have too many guns for my not so many game days, but no two are for the same role.

I can't resist a bargain, and I see the potential in every run down, beat up, unloved toy gun and want to bring it back to glorious plastic spitting life. Plus with the cheap second hand guns you don't feel so bad about chopping them up into wierd customs.

I started 18 years ago as a youngster and ended up with a vast array of pistols and rifles. It got to the point where it was taking up a full bedroom in my house. Had to scale back, so just got the four now, but it's creeping up again.

• Supporters
8 hours ago, stig said:

right, that's enough gun wise.

laughing-puppets-o.gif (320×180)

Variety is the spice of life.  That and Flamin' Hot Monster Munch.

I don't need anything more than my M4 for either woodland or CQB. But it's a laugh to switch to a pistol or a shotgun, or frag myself, so why not?

Happy UKARA day tomorrow, at which point I might get an MP5K or MP7, and a cheap sniper to ruin.  Ooh, P90!

Sure, it's pointless to have more than you can use at once, but I've got three motorbikes in the garage.  If you've got the funds, it's not a problem.  People spend more on dafter things (must get the Enfield running).

I keep buying more, mostly busted, fixing them then moving them on.

Currently, our household has two WE G17’s, one TM G17, one TM Hi-Capa 

aaaaand............ a

TM MP5, ICS M4, ARES Vector, A&K Vector, TM AA-12, G&G SCAR

Well, there's these....

x7hSWZA.jpg

And then there's a couple on the bench...

AtkQt7Y.jpg

And a couple of pistols under the bench...

But it's fine, not a problem, completely under control!

Glad I'm not alone!

I think I have a dozen primaries and 3 sidearms thus far - but every day throwsnew temptation my way it seems. Tempted by the Springfield and M1 Garand in the classifieds....

Must resist!

If anyone has a boneyard Mp5 that really needs hacking up and turning into a DMR...?

Because too much is never enough!

Archived