Lasers in Airsoft. A safety hazard?

PopRocket123
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Just got myself a laser for my primary and its way brighter than I was expecting. I kinda don't want to run it just because I don't feel comfortable potentially pointing it in someone's eyes. What's people's opinions on this? Has anyone witnessed any horror stories of this going wrong?

As long as it's well under 5mW/class II (and it should be) then it's not powerful enough to do damage unless by prolonged exposure. And seeing as the reflex is to blink and look away from bright light then that shouldn't be an issue. If it's class III (up to 5mW) then it should still be OK, but that's getting quite bright.

Green are out,Red class 1's are ok but it's at any sites discretion.Everybody regards Hong Kong imports as unverified rubbish even if they carry a class 1 sticker..the scanners in Tesco are class 1.they can be found in many everyday applications and side affects amount to the same as stareing into a torch.

• Supporters

I've never heard of anybody having any damage to their eyes (semi or permanent) from being hit by a red laser in Airsoft. Green on the otherhand..

Dangers of Green Lasers

Most on the market are generally low quality from China under 5mW and won't do anything but make you want to duck back into cover however, there's a reason most sites no longer allow them. Having one shine through your scope for example? Nobody wants that.

edit: Honestly, if you're worried about harming somebody don't use it. I think lasers are pretty pointless anyway. An RDS does the same job and won't reveal your position and can be used indoors or out. If you're using NODs you'll be using an IR laser. Beyond that who doesn't ADS?

• Supporters
9 hours ago, PopRocket123 said:

I kinda don't want to run it just because I don't feel comfortable potentially pointing it in someone's eyes.

Shine it in your eye and see (or don't see) what happens.

If you're not willing to do that, don't shine it in anyone else's.

• Mostly Retired Moderators
1 hour ago, Rogerborg said:

Shine it in your eye and see (or don't see) what happens.

If you're not willing to do that, don't shine it in anyone else's.

Exactly this.

• Supporters

FAA---visible-laser-hazard-calcs-for-LSF

here's a useful chart, even at <1mw (very low power) a laser has a Nominal Ocular Hazard distance of 46ft, that's absolutely the kind of range that you'd be using it at.  

Given also that chinese manufactured airsoft lasers could be anywhere from 0.000001mw to 100mw and there's no real way to know... I would NOT shine one at someone else.  

Only way to be CERTAIN is to spend the big bucks and buy a collimated military laser with a datasheet that tells you the exact power and hazard distance of the laser. 

• Head Moderator
7 minutes ago, easymil said:

Laser.

A great way to give away your position to one and all.

True but it can also stop players from moving, effectively bottlenecking them.  They see the laser light in the dark hitting the wall in a corridor and know that there is at least one person waiting to shoot them as they move past that point or through a doorway.  So no-one wants to move forward.  I have seen it down in the basement at The Mall and at UCAP Bunker. 

I just take the option of seeing whether I can hit the laser owner before I get hit; really dislike waiting around in corridors bottlenecked in a mong of airsofters.

Thanks guys. This one won't be seeing any action then. bit of a waste of money but I'd rather that that really hurting someone. Besides lets be honest we've all spent loads on stuff that we've used once then left in a drawer.

• Supporters

Not really a fan of lasers as I've come across some real class acts deliberately shining them in players eyes. I've never heard of anyone suffering eye damage in airsoft from lasers, but I certainly had a sense of humour failure seeing players give it a damn good go. However, like most things it only takes a few people to ruin it for everyone, which is why I would imagine most sites don't allow full auto at close range.

It doesn't help that you can get stupidly cheap lasers online that are definitely not safe. I can certainly see why green lasers are categorically banned at sites I play at as a chap at work picked one up for around £15 and in a bright office briefly looking at the dot(not laser) on the floor left an after image when you blinked for a few minutes....

3 hours ago, PopRocket123 said:

Thanks guys. This one won't be seeing any action then. bit of a waste of money but I'd rather that that really hurting someone. Besides lets be honest we've all spent loads on stuff that we've used once then left in a drawer.

That's called airsoft....

11 hours ago, easymil said:

Laser.

A great way to give away your position to one and all.

But they look f*cking cool when you're running a pistol in the tunnels and there's a ton of smoke from flashbangs.

40 minutes ago, Seany.exe said:

But they look f*cking cool when you're running a pistol in the tunnels and there's a ton of smoke from flashbangs.

That's kinda what I was thinking. Plus glamour shots

22 hours ago, Jedi_Master said:

bottlenecked in a mong of airsofters.

I strongly object to the use of the phrase "mong of airsofters" I think we established on another thread a group of airsofters is a "cockwomble of airsofters". ;)

• Moderators

I’ve got an FMA peq10 and the lac upgrade , one red one green and another red one, always ask if they can be used at sites, and tbh I’ve only briefly flashed them on when in dark rooms to point something out or if there is smoke or smoke in a night game, other wise it’s just there for looks..... so maybe used once or twice a year!

no point using in a woodland game as you can’t see it!

used mind at Tuddenham night games when smoke is used and Urban assault in smoke filled rooms..... but makes you a target, like using a torch or tracers lol

I've only ever witnessed one person trying to use on during a woodland game. Young kid turned up with one, started showing it off to his mates, middle aged guy suddenly shouted in a very menacing tone "Dont shine that F*ckin thing at my face ya d*ck!" Marshals were on the kid in seconds and made him remove it. 

I don't think the lazer is an issue if it conforms to certain standards, I think its the reaction of other players that you may have to take into account. I know I would be less than chuffed if I got one pointed in my eyes & I'm a friendly kinda guy 

Archived