MOLLE Vest

AshOnSnow
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

1 hour ago, djben9 said:

Just curious, why do you use these and not remove them?, does it help keep the carrier keep shape?,

i had foam plates in my warrior CPC but took them straight out as got to hot and its only for carrying my mags.

They are only supplied with them for postage apparent!ly. My brother till keeps his in and wonders why he gets hot :)

That's pretty much it. It needs something just to give it shape, not support. But the ones that come with are super thick.

One of the things I wanted with a plate (and another reason to go with osprey) is some extra weight for me to start training in at the gym - head off to the RAF soon and from everything I've heard, it doesn't hurt to get a head start on the fitness and load carrying bits of basic training.

just seen a good option which was that someone made a rough skeleton mould out of plywood, then after securing a mat or carpet tile around it, coating it in epoxy resin to harden it in place.

1 hour ago, jcheeseright said:

Just focus on cardio, you won't be running with any kind of significant load. 

Actually I figured training WITH a heavier load will make it easier in the long run, especially as I'll have a more intense sere course than most. Nothing wrong with overpreparing - doing it with weight on me in the gym will make it easier doing it without weight in training, especially on bugger all sleep.

On 06/11/2017 at 2:04 PM, AshOnSnow said:

Actually I figured training WITH a heavier load will make it easier in the long run, especially as I'll have a more intense sere course than most. Nothing wrong with overpreparing - doing it with weight on me in the gym will make it easier doing it without weight in training, especially on bugger all sleep.

I was training   for navy mine clearance before my ltb band in my leg basically exploded.   Dont your hill sprints and circuit training aswell as  make  ypur body  make recovery  so much   easier.  Military  Pts love doing that sort of thing to  beast you. Hope you not just going running on treadmill as  it very different to actual running 

28 minutes ago, Shaun Haynes said:

I was training   for navy mine clearance before my ltb band in my leg basically exploded.   Dont your hill sprints and circuit training aswell as  make  ypur body  make recovery  so much   easier.  Military  Pts love doing that sort of thing to  beast you. Hope you not just going running on treadmill as  it very different to actual running 

Haven't done much on a treadmill. A lot on a cross trainer and running round Rowney Warren (sandy, lots of hills and tree roots, the north part is used for a lot of mountain biking). Need to get on top of the bleep tests though, apparently they're fond of those. Generally trying to get my cardio and cross terrain endurance up as much as possible.

On 06/11/2017 at 2:04 PM, AshOnSnow said:
29 minutes ago, AshOnSnow said:

Haven't done much on a treadmill. A lot on a cross trainer and running round Rowney Warren (sandy, lots of hills and tree roots, the north part is used for a lot of mountain biking). Need to get on top of the bleep tests though, apparently they're fond of those. Generally trying to get my cardio and cross terrain endurance up as much as possible.

Yeah.    Sounds like you have it sorted. I was doing as many different sorts of training as I could but all depends on the role That your doing in to aswell I know on mine it wasn't  that far short omarine  entry fitness levels 

12 minutes ago, Shaun Haynes said:

I'm going in as a pilot

• Supporters

Honestly, as someone that has a fair amount of military training experience (I am a phase 2 instructor, have done phase 1 & 3 also) I am strongly recommending you sort cardio out first. You will NOT be running any kind of distance with any kind of weight, especially not as a pilot.  

SERE B (the course aircrew do) isn't in any way as demanding as SERE C. Again, cardio is key as you won't be carrying weight. In addition, the SERE courses generally tend to come AFTER flying training as places at St Mawgan are limited and the wash out rate for aircrew is high.... 

All running with weight is going to do at this point is stress your joints and massively increase the chances of developing shin splints.  

The bleep test thing is accurate though, MSFT is an absolute favourite of PTIs across the services and you'll be doing them a lot. 

1 hour ago, jcheeseright said:

Honestly, as someone that has a fair amount of military training experience (I am a phase 2 instructor, have done phase 1 & 3 also) I am strongly recommending you sort cardio out first. You will NOT be running any kind of distance with any kind of weight, especially not as a pilot.  

SERE B (the course aircrew do) isn't in any way as demanding as SERE C. Again, cardio is key as you won't be carrying weight. In addition, the SERE courses generally tend to come AFTER flying training as places at St Mawgan are limited and the wash out rate for aircrew is high.... 

All running with weight is going to do at this point is stress your joints and massively increase the chances of developing shin splints.  

The bleep test thing is accurate though, MSFT is an absolute favourite of PTIs across the services and you'll be doing them a lot. 

Would be great to talk to you some more about your experiences - one major thing that I was hoping to be able to train for is that because I'm going in as an officer, and as you say there's a high wash out rate for aircrew, being the one person in the group who can stand out and support and pull the rest of the group along in the hard exercises in training is going to go down well on my reputation, which will hopefully make up for my lack of leadership opportunities and volunteering outside of the armed forces. I still have 6 months until I'm in on the full training regime, so I want to try and get myself as well prepared as possible.

Interesting that you talk about the SERE B course (the pilot I've spoken to for some extra info when I was first researching the role about 8 months ago didn't talk about the levels of SERE training - only info I've had about that is from AFCO contact. But they did say they had an additional water survival course (He was a retired Nimrod pilot, now working for BA. If things are similar I think I might be in for something similar since I'm trying to go for P8-A crew)).

• Supporters

Apologies for taking so long to get back to you on this one, the wash out rate for aircrew has very little to do with the militarisation phase of training and everything to do with flying training, lots of people think they can do it, not many people actually can do it!

The water survival course lasts about a week, mostly theory with a little bit of time in the pool and then an hour or so floating round in a dinghy before a helicopter comes and rescues you... not physically demanding at all!  Though the 'dunker' is a horrendous experience regardless of how fit you are!

Mind if I ask why you want to be a P8 pilot?  I can't think of a more boring job, flying round at high altitude, often in circles, never getting to see anything!  If you really want to play with the P8, go WSO rather than Pilot. 

On 12/11/2017 at 2:56 AM, jcheeseright said:

Apologies for taking so long to get back to you on this one, the wash out rate for aircrew has very little to do with the militarisation phase of training and everything to do with flying training, lots of people think they can do it, not many people actually can do it!

The water survival course lasts about a week, mostly theory with a little bit of time in the pool and then an hour or so floating round in a dinghy before a helicopter comes and rescues you... not physically demanding at all!  Though the 'dunker' is a horrendous experience regardless of how fit you are!

Mind if I ask why you want to be a P8 pilot?  I can't think of a more boring job, flying round at high altitude, often in circles, never getting to see anything!  If you really want to play with the P8, go WSO rather than Pilot. 

I already know the 737NG aircraft systems and procedures well, the hours I'll have logged up flying that type will be perfect in case I want to go on to do civil aviation 15-20 years down the line. Definitely not interested in WSO or anything like that - I want to fly, always have. Flying the P8 would be perfect for me and what I love about flying - breaking through the clouds, sitting on top of the world for hours. I used to live abroad and I'd spend so long flying back and forth, but the feeling never gets old. I still get the same rush every takeoff that I did when I was 5.

What's the dunker? Doesn't sound very fun...

My main concern is the medical - I was told I should have 20/15 or better, which I don't. But at the same time, I know Tornado pilots who wear corrective lenses, so I'm a little unsure as to what the actual requirements are. I can drive without any correction, and I scored maximum on my CBATs for pilot, but now it's outsourced to Capita, I don't know if it'll just be a pen pushing YES/NO jobsworth I'm up against.

Archived