MOLLE Vest

AshOnSnow
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

On the lookout for a new molle carrier, the one I had before was okay as an entry-level piece of kit, but it was on the small side in terms of coverage, and I didn't like not having side panels. Can't remember exactly which model it was but it was along the lines of this: 

airsoft-condor-sentry-pc-mc-b.jpg

Now on the hunt for something with a little more MOLLE space, and something that wraps around better - a big problem I had before was that all the weight was on the front panel, so as a result it kept slipping and the rear panel would crawl halfway up my back.

Not looking to spend an obscene amount of money - the Flyye Spartan and this Condor Carrier were more in the realms of my ideal kit:

condor_quick_release_plate_carrier_multi

But £400 and £180 respectively is a pretty hefty dent to my wallet that I can't afford to drop for 1 bit of kit. The side panels do really come into use for me since I often wear my sidearm across my chest, so the extra room at the side is pretty handy.

Any suggestions or ideas?

• Supporters

It looks like you had a JPC. I really like this style of plate carrier and it's been my go-to for about a year now. There are variants which have a skeletal cumberbund which offer extra molle space on the sides.

Odd that it slides up your body. Dumb question but are you sure you fit it correctly? The front should be about level with your collarbone, same with the rear to protect your vital organs. Having it nice and tight prevents it from sliding about.

If you're set on buying some new kit, I've heard some very good things about the Warrior DCS and Recon plate carriers. Both retail around the £140 mark, so perhaps a little out of your price range right now, however you may find some used online for less. 

On the cheaper side, consider the Osprey MK IV. Genuine army issue, tons of molle space and a favourite at my local site. Many of the regulars wear this and I own one too. You can get this on eBay for about £20. 

Yeah, it fits fine if there's equal weight on both sides, but on skirmishes I don't have anything on the rear, so the weight of my mags and pistol drag the front down (which in turn pulls the back up). All in all probably not a very well designed carrier. If I'd have had a hydration pack it probably would have been fine.

The Osprey looks really good for the price, and £20 sounds like a steal - I was hoping to find some suggestions in the £50-80 range, but this is even better.

Will need to try and wrap my head around the sizings though.

• Supporters

That's for the plate carrier. Its a modular design so you'll probably spend a bit extra on addition parts. I have the carrier (£25) with the front flap (£5), admin pouch (£5) & 3xSA80 Mag pouches (£10). There's all sorts of other bits and pieces designed for the MK IV (although will work with any MOLLE platform)  Single and double Mag pouches, grenade pouches, cumberbund, side panel, medic pouch, etc. 

All is a tough bit of kit in genuine MTP.

I used to have a plate carrier like yours and I hated it, the side straps weren't tight enough so it used to move up and down as I ran. 

Best to get one with a cumberbund. 

I use a Warrior Assault systems RICAS, you can often pick these up for about £60-£70 second hand, they have side panels & a cummerbund. 

I've had mine for about 3 years and I still love it, although in summer its not great for body heat, but its a trade off against molle space and body protection. 

• Supporters

I wouldn't say it's garbage, but it does have some design flaws. The shoulder straps for instance can chafe your neck if you're just wearing a shirt and there's little to no adjustment so you either get one that fits or you're out of luck. 

Buuuut.... I'd go for a RICAS too if given the chance. Anything by Warrior, really. 

53 minutes ago, Gepard said:

I wouldn't say it's garbage, but it does have some design flaws. The shoulder straps for instance can chafe your neck if you're just wearing a shirt and there's little to no adjustment so you either get one that fits or you're out of luck. 

Buuuut.... I'd go for a RICAS too if given the chance. Anything by Warrior, really. 

agree with the above. Nothing wrong with the OSPREY if you get one that fits and adjusted to your needs. Only thing i find with mine is that i can't have any pooches on the side as i feel limited to just the front (Can't look down with face mask on and not very flexible!)

I run a hydration pack on the back of mine as well and have the filler inside (Which i'm considering taking out as it does make it weighty) I was running a battle belt with it as well but find it's too much so leave it out now until the later stages of game day to swap over. The new STV that will eventually be rolled out is lovely thoughB)

Looking at the Onetigris carrier for christmas now though as the OSPREY was free so will be used as a spare or sold on.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06XP6HGG2/ref=s9u_simh_gw_i2?ie=UTF8&fpl=fresh&pd_rd_i=B06XP6HGG2&pd_rd_r=a7be02f4-bfb6-11e7-8c5a-83f4c7b61017&pd_rd_w=CJ9l7&pd_rd_wg=aGwY2&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=&pf_rd_r=ND7KZ22F97DMZ4VZAHKR&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=187bec3b-0822-4044-bbe9-441718232b3f&pf_rd_i=desktop

11 hours ago, slaney said:

agree with the above. Nothing wrong with the OSPREY if you get one that fits and adjusted to your needs. Only thing i find with mine is that i can't have any pooches on the side as i feel limited to just the front (Can't look down with face mask on and not very flexible!)

I run a hydration pack on the back of mine as well and have the filler inside (Which i'm considering taking out as it does make it weighty) I was running a battle belt with it as well but find it's too much so leave it out now until the later stages of game day to swap over. The new STV that will eventually be rolled out is lovely thoughB)

Looking at the Onetigris carrier for christmas now though as the OSPREY was free so will be used as a spare or sold on.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06XP6HGG2/ref=s9u_simh_gw_i2?ie=UTF8&fpl=fresh&pd_rd_i=B06XP6HGG2&pd_rd_r=a7be02f4-bfb6-11e7-8c5a-83f4c7b61017&pd_rd_w=CJ9l7&pd_rd_wg=aGwY2&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=&pf_rd_r=ND7KZ22F97DMZ4VZAHKR&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=187bec3b-0822-4044-bbe9-441718232b3f&pf_rd_i=desktop

That's overpriced IMO, you can find something similar quality for cheaper on Taiwan gun.

11 hours ago, slaney said:

I own two of thes One Tigris plate carriers. One MTP the other black. Very pleased with the build quality. I just swapped out the super thick foam plates for some thinner foam tiles.

19 minutes ago, warlord said:

I own two of thes One Tigris plate carriers. One MTP the other black. Very pleased with the build quality. I just swapped out the super thick foam plates for some thinner foam tiles.

Do you not reckon £80 is overpriced?

Just gonna put this out there, the Flyye Spartan vests are absolutely brilliant. I had the multicam one and I loved how it fit; very supportive and quite comfortable. Being 1000D Cordura, it is a bit weighty  (I think about 3kg IIRC) but that shouldn't be a problem for anyone really. That being said, there isn't much neck room. However, I got rid of it in a trade a little while ago.

Funnily enough, I've gone for the Flyye version of the vest you initially have pictured. It's called a Flyye FAPC  (Fast Attack Plate Carrier or something). I had a JPC too but didn't like that so returned it after a day of having it.

As above, the Warrior DCS might be worth looking into.

Alternatively, you can purchase the Flyye FAPC Generation 2 which has what you were asking for which the Gen 1 lacked. I've attached an image of the Gen 2 below. Obviously, the multicam variant is going to cost considerably more than a solid colour variant.

1O74MxB.jpg

On 02/11/2017 at 10:03 PM, Georgeturner2001 said:

Do you not reckon £80 is overpriced?

I think it's about fair. I could have gone for a second hand brand name vest for more money, but knowing how much I sweat into mine, I'm thinking it'd come with a pint of someone elses man juice :D

It's pretty much a mid range vest. Way above the cheap end of the scale and has some nice features and drawbacks. The sides are full molle. Some vests I looked at only had side straps, so molle side panels are extra. Under the side molle it has straps and clips that for my D shape are at their limit, but are pretty redundant as the side molle velcros under the front panel and is going nowhere.

The shoulders are very comfortable and can be used to route comms and/or water.

It has 3 x 5.56 mag pouches, kangaroo style that are fine and dandy. I just preferred to add some warrior snaps on my MTP and I'm trying some fast mags on the black one tonight/tomorrow.

I'd always advise to have a look about to see if there's something better value. There's a huge choice out there. Problem is finding someone who's used one of the 1,000's out there.

Personally I have a jpc  not sure of the brand. But I love it. I used  to run  it with  battle belt but I got rid of the battle belt as it just wasn't stiff enough so yes to twist. So amended the  pouches from that on to the Cumberland. And it's a happy medium of  carrying space and  portability. I do have  normal  belt mpint kydex  holsters for  my pistol and mags. And a dump pouch on my trouser belt 

I have a Flyye 6094 in CB that is redundant after a CP JPC 2.0 purchase, would let it go for £70 plus p&p. Has a plastic triple mag insert for the front, and is a great piece of kit.

4 hours ago, Dentonboy said:

I have a Flyye 6094 in CB that is redundant after a CP JPC 2.0 purchase, would let it go for £70 plus p&p. Has a plastic triple mag insert for the front, and is a great piece of kit.

I had a look at that model earlier I think but it was lacking the MOLLE space I want on the front - I have a radio and a P226 on my chest, which can be packed in tightly to 6 across, but it squeezes my radio pouch against the holster, and really I need 8 across like Osprey. The Flyye 6094 has 4 across the top.

• Supporters

Do you have any surplus stores nearby? Chances are they have an Osprey you could try on and see if you like it or not. 

10 minutes ago, Gepard said:

Do you have any surplus stores nearby? Chances are they have an Osprey you could try on and see if you like it or not. 

Had a falling out with the local one after they screwed up one too many times. Other one within a reasonable distance I know if is limited stock and isn't so much of actual surplus these days but cheap 8Fields, KombatUK and Viper stuff.

• Supporters

That's a shame. It's always handy having a surplus store nearby so you can go and see what you're buying.. 

I did a quick search on eBay. I found this. It may be worth keeping an eye on, even if just for the pouches.

13 minutes ago, Gepard said:

That's a shame. It's always handy having a surplus store nearby so you can go and see what you're buying.. 

I did a quick search on eBay. I found this. It may be worth keeping an eye on, even if just for the pouches.

That's a good spot.

Ideally want to find a 180/104 though. Think Osprey is definitely way to go in terms of Bang For Buck. Maybe when I'm rich and famous I'll grab a Flyye Spartan :P 

Seems to be a fair amount of choice around. I'm guessing for airsoft definitely easier to go with the ops panel rather than the cummerbunds.

• Moderators
On 11/2/2017 at 9:43 PM, warlord said:

Just curious, why do you use these and not remove them?, does it help keep the carrier keep shape?,

i had foam plates in my warrior CPC but took them straight out as got to hot and its only for carrying my mags.

They are only supplied with them for postage apparent!ly. My brother till keeps his in and wonders why he gets hot :)

44 minutes ago, djben9 said:

Just curious, why do you use these and not remove them?, does it help keep the carrier keep shape?,

i had foam plates in my warrior CPC but took them straight out as got to hot and its only for carrying my mags.

They are only supplied with them for postage apparent!ly. My brother till keeps his in and wonders why he gets hot :)

I know the JPC I had didn't have any inserts and any heavy weight towards the top would make it start to bend outward and crease and deform. I never did work out how to make some inserts - the shape is easy enough to do with carpet tiles, but it's the curve that always stumped me.

• Supporters
On 11/6/2017 at 10:55 AM, AshOnSnow said:

I never did work out how to make some inserts - the shape is easy enough to do with carpet tiles, but it's the curve that always stumped me.

It's just hard foam. The dummy plates which came with mine were completely flat and shape to your body as you wear them. 

edit: @djben9 just to add, I use dummy plates to give the JPC some rigidity. I don't like the feeling of it being completely flat against my body and it helps keep it from moving about. 

Archived