Noob here!

adengtg
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hey, i'm new to airsoft (Playing since sept)and i'm just looking for any general advice for the future.

Ive already got a fairly simple load-out of: Viper Spec OP Chest rig, a set of camo(MTP/BTP) clothing, A NBB pistol and a spring sniper with variable scope as well as gloves,helmet, knee-pads and various other small items. 

My guns are cheap and as Christmas is coming up. I'm thinking of buying a Good starter gun and secondary or buying an assault pack, Proper gun bag as i ride a scooter and other accessories for the guns i already have. Im just not sure which option i should pick.

Any General Advice Appreciated

A little more info. I was thinking of buying either a stubby M4 or an smg as i could still use my sniper but be fine during CQB. I wa also thinking of just using a stubby M4 with an extended barrel which i could remove for CQB.

Hello mate welcome to the forum and this awesome hobby/sport.. 

As Christmas and the winter is coming I recommend getting a TM hi-capa, they are one of the few gas blowback pistols that function ok in the cold, but not only that they are reliable, great performers and you can upgrade them as much or as little as you like.. (lol I would recommend a TM hi-capa all year round I must admit) I personally think the best TM hi-capa on the market for all round use and performance is the gold match, it's by far my best performing pistol and I have a good few :)

Happy shooting and once again welcome to the forum. 

ATB Marc 

• Supporters

Welcome. You may want to look at some of the stickied posts on the forum. They contain a lot of information dedicated to helping new players ease into the sport. 

• Head Moderator

Welcome :).

8 hours ago, Marc.RG1 said:

Hello mate welcome to the forum and this awesome hobby/sport.. 

As Christmas and the winter is coming I recommend getting a TM hi-capa, they are one of the few gas blowback pistols that function ok in the cold, but not only that they are reliable, great performers and you can upgrade them as much or as little as you like.. (lol I would recommend a TM hi-capa all year round I must admit) I personally think the best TM hi-capa on the market for all round use and performance is the gold match, it's by far my best performing pistol and I have a good few :)

Happy shooting and once again welcome to the forum. 

ATB Marc 

Thats what i was thinking, i'm thinking of the Hi-capa 5.2K

I was looking at the 5.2k myself but I think the size would make it impractical.

I got the CYMA M4 CQB as my first weapon and even though its not metal it does have good weight and power.  A very good starter for the price.  

2 hours ago, EDcase said:

I was looking at the 5.2k myself but I think the size would make it impractical.

I got the CYMA M4 CQB as my first weapon and even though its not metal it does have good weight and power.  A very good starter for the price.  

I bought a Cyma m4 with extended keymod barrel for a dmr role, came with broken hop-up, broken selector lever and shot 420FPS of full auto, making it illegal. im not sure im going to buy cyma anymore.

1 hour ago, adengtg said:

I bought a Cyma m4 with extended keymod barrel for a dmr role, came with broken hop-up, broken selector lever and shot 420FPS of full auto, making it illegal. im not sure im going to buy cyma anymore.

Where did you get it from?

2 minutes ago, EDcase said:

Where did you get it from?

BBguns4less, needless to say, im never buying from them again. actually, i haven't had my refund yet...

15 hours ago, adengtg said:

Thats what i was thinking, i'm thinking of the Hi-capa 5.2K

The WE Hi-capa 5.2k is OK, but will not perform as well as a TM hi-capa in all areas mate, but get a pistol you prefer the look of, as looks do also count for a lot too in my opinion :)

ATB Marc 

• Supporters
11 hours ago, EDcase said:

I don't think you can judge CYMA if you're buying from there...

They do appear to have a reputation for selling used, broken and incomplete guns as "new" stock.

The energy issue is on BBguns4less.  It seems that CYMAs do come hot and need clipping or spring replacing for UK legality and site use. Places like gunfire.pl will list them as 400fps+ and offer spring replacements.  Mine came from PatrolBase with what looks like a clipped spring, and shooting 328fps.

Which I found when I was shimming the gearbox (not that it needed it), which flags up the issue that the hop up and selector shouldn't break, but was there any sign that someone had been in there and fiddling with it?

19 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

They do appear to have a reputation for selling used, broken and incomplete guns as "new" stock.

The energy issue is on BBguns4less.  It seems that CYMAs do come hot and need clipping or spring replacing for UK legality and site use. Places like gunfire.pl will list them as 400fps+ and offer spring replacements.  Mine came from PatrolBase with what looks like a clipped spring, and shooting 328fps.

Which I found when I was shimming the gearbox (not that it needed it), which flags up the issue that the hop up and selector shouldn't break, but was there any sign that someone had been in there and fiddling with it?

Im a noob so i dont really know how it all works but they techie at my local site had a llook at it all and said that part of the inner Hop-up had been chipped/cracked making the bb's either roll out the end or fly off to the right. that was the first time having been disassembled as far as i know. i sent it back of course

23 hours ago, Marc.RG1 said:

The WE Hi-capa 5.2k is OK, but will not perform as well as a TM hi-capa in all areas mate, but get a pistol you prefer the look of, as looks do also count for a lot too in my opinion :)

ATB Marc 

Wait, what exactly is a Hi-Capa? ,all i kjnow is that they have different names and come in all different types. is it just a name so they have different manufacturers or something?

1 hour ago, adengtg said:

Wait, what exactly is a Hi-Capa? ,all i kjnow is that they have different names and come in all different types. is it just a name so they have different manufacturers or something?

Hello, yes mate hi-capa is the name, basically a high capacity 1911 style race gun, they are many different types and style with a few different manufacturers, I'll not go into aftermarket manufacturers and custom guns etc it could just confuse you. So the most well known and mainly chosen airsoft manufacturers of the Hi-capa are Tokyo Marui (TM), Kj Works (KJW), WE (WE-tec) and Amorer Works (AW). 

Like I say there are many types/styles, but manufacturers wise right out of the box, I personally think TM make the best Hi-capas, due to performance, tolerance, accuracy and reliability and upgradeability, but they are made more from plastic then metal, which can put some people off and I'm not going to lie, years ago I was one of them people, I shoot many other types of guns including RS so years ago I thought I would never want a half plastic half metal guns, then I got a few and never looked back, I have a lot of guns airsoft wise most are TM based,  they out perform most others, without making this post too big lol, I'll just give you a quick run down, and I will stick with the standard form of hi-capa the 5.1 just to make it easier and faster. 

TM 5.1 hi-capas for example right out the box, have a plastic slide and plastic barrel, and grip, the upper frame is metal as are the controls so is the magazine, but like I say in my opinion are the best due to performance, tolerance, accuracy, reliability and upgradeability. Also out the box they perform good all year round, even in cooler weather, due to having a lot if plastic they cool down a lot less then full metal gas blowback pistols, so perform better in the cold.. (my TM hi-capa hold match for example out performs any other airsoft pistol I've owned or own, this includes standard TM hi-capas and custom built guns)  

Also another thing to bare in mind hi-capa aftermarket parts and manufacturers work they parts around TM. 

KJW, are very good pistols too, they are full metal apart from the grips, they are co2 or green gas compatible, quality is pretty good as is reliability, as is fit and finish, and they are compatible with a good few TM based aftermarket parts and upgrades but not all.. But your starting to see less and less KJW hi-capas, due to TM I believe. (original spares are harder to get then TM ones too) 

WE hi-capa, again mostly full metal apart from the grips and grip frame, and they are OK, quality can be a bit of a hit or miss to be honest same goes with reliability and performance, they will not perform as good as a TM hi-capa, I have a good  few Hi-capas but a WE is hi-capa is not one of them (lol I'm not a WE hater though, I have had and have a good few WE guns) quite a lot of parts are TM aftermarket and upgrade compatible, but not all and some parts will need modification and depending on the version on WE hi-capa you get will also effect compatibility. (original spares are also harder to get then TM one too) 

Armorer Works, I must admit are doing some good things with Hi-capas, (armorer works are still basically WE just posher and better quality more expensive versions) but like I say AW do have some good versions of the Hi-capa, they are full metal once again apart from the grips and grip frame/trigger guard etc, BUT unfortunately they do have some of the standard  WE hi-capa downsides, and are less TM aftermarket and upgrades compatible too,  next year I will probably be buying myself a AW hi-capa, the AW black ace as I like the style. 

But I still prefer TM then the rest, and when it comes to me wanting a full metal Hi-capas I go for TM based and then just build my own, it works out more expensive but you can do as much or as little as you like and spread the costs out over time and end up with an all round better full metal hi-capa at the end of it.. 

LOL this was a mission typing out on my phone, hopefully there's not to many typos lol,  but I hope it has been of help to you, check out my YouTube channel if you want I have many many hi-capa related videos that you will find interesting and helpful. 

ATB Marc 

10 hours ago, Marc.RG1 said:

Hello, yes mate hi-capa is the name, basically a high capacity 1911 style race gun, they are many different types and style with a few different manufacturers, I'll not go into aftermarket manufacturers and custom guns etc it could just confuse you. So the most well known and mainly chosen airsoft manufacturers of the Hi-capa are Tokyo Marui (TM), Kj Works (KJW), WE (WE-tec) and Amorer Works (AW). ETC,ETC

f*ck me, kudos to you mate for typing that on a phone!

Well, i was going to get the WE Hi-capa 5.2K as i love the style and the fact that they are pretty cheap (£90 all in). Bearing in mind that Patrol base test everything before shipping, Would it be worth buying a TM pistol or just conserving my cash to buy a better primary? Also, how much does FPS matter in a pistol? I would expect they a high quality brand such as TM would put the pistols on the 350+/-FPS limit but some of them shoot as low as 270Fps. Thanks for the help man, 

I’ve owned both a WE and TM Hi-Capa, and frankly the WE was rubbish. The TM brand new was £120, and you can upgrade it to Gold Match if you want later.

I rebuilt mine with black parts and a non-drop barrel, performed identical to a Gold Match.

Than I gave to my dad :)

4 hours ago, adengtg said:

f*ck me, kudos to you mate for typing that on a phone!

Well, i was going to get the WE Hi-capa 5.2K as i love the style and the fact that they are pretty cheap (£90 all in). Bearing in mind that Patrol base test everything before shipping, Would it be worth buying a TM pistol or just conserving my cash to buy a better primary? Also, how much does FPS matter in a pistol? I would expect they a high quality brand such as TM would put the pistols on the 350+/-FPS limit but some of them shoot as low as 270Fps. Thanks for the help man, 

No problem at all mate..

If you love the style of the WE 5.2k hi-capa i would say still get it, if you really like the look of it, for £89 plus postage costs its not too badly priced, as i say when buying a gun you need to like how it looks, you could have the best performing pistol on the market but if you dont like the look of it, then whats the point right :)

High FPS on a pistol i would not concern yourself with, It does not need to be extremely high, My standard TM 5.1 HI-capas with 0.20g BB chrono on average 300fps - 320fps, my TM Gold match a tiny bit higher, as are my custom build guns too, none reach close to 350fps though but they really do not need to, even at 300-320fps they have outstanding range even with heavy weigh bbs, which is what i use when shooting (0.30g bbs) and accuracy is great and even put some rifles to shame on range and accuracy.. (TM hi-capas have a much better Hop-up design then WE and AW hi-capas)

Like i say mate hi-capa wise, all round quality and performance and reliability and upgradeability you can not beat TM, but that said you should 100% go for the gun you prefer the look of, and as you dont have one i know whatever gas blowback pistol you go for your going to really like it anyway. :)

ATB, Marc..

If you have a decent primary you'll only use a pistol at relatively close ranges for clearing barricades, buildings etc.

I wouldn't want to use anything above 300fps in such close quarters.

My G18c AEP is much lower than that and works great for those situations. (full auto is nice too ;) )

The other thing you have to consider is a holster for a 5.2K

Can you even get one that fits?

If so its going to be heavy, bouncy when running and harder to draw fast.

But as Marc said above, if you really like it then get it and have fun...

Archived