choosing a budget aeg advice wanted

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Just now, commanderpegasus420 said:

450 quid lol 

Funnily enough theres a vid on youtube of a guy doing cqb in buildings with an airsoft rpg7 lol he looked very menacing 

Think I've seen that video! Last stand gamers I think. 

Joking aside, id say just get an M4!

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, commanderpegasus420 said:

What about this CM017 i think this is abit better than m4 im guessing its the same gearbox and stuff?

I've had no experience with budget guns really, your best taking advice the others have given you! 

• Supporters
55 minutes ago, commanderpegasus420 said:

What about this CM017 i think this is abit better than m4 im guessing its the same gearbox and stuff?

It's not. It's an M4 with a longer front, which makes it harder to manoeuvre with. Barrel lengths are irrelevant in airsoft regarding performance.

• Supporters

I don't get it. You made it clear you wanted a gun with a short length that wasn't an M4 so you could use it in CQB but then choose an M4 that's longer than a CM16 at an additional cost? 

• Supporters

The best gun for you to get is the JG067: https://gunfire.pl/product-eng-1152189530-JG067MG-submachine-gun-replica.html

Then add a top rail and a holographic sight.

This is because in about 6 to 12 months when you finally go to a skirmish and decide that you don't enjoy airsofting, you'll sell it off, and I can have it cheap.

The logic is irrefutable.

(A JG202 would be an acceptable substitute if you want to push the boat out a bit, kthnx. Please add a front grip before selling.)

• Mostly Retired Moderators

You should just count yourself lucky that you weren't into airsoft 18 years ago.

The choice of what gun was pretty much Tokyo Marui FAMAS F1 which was entirely plastic  and creaked and groaned with the slightest touch.

Or a Tokyo Marui M16A1 which (entirely plastic again) creaked and squeaked and weighed naff all. Oh and the barrel used to wobble (or was that the A2?)

Or if you wanted to be different the Tokyo Marui MP5A5, which (being entirely plastic) still squeaked, but not so much. Oh but the stock wobbled all over the place.

The Tokyo Marui (seeing a theme yet?)  G3A3 / A4 & SG1 Were all plastic and wobbley. You often saw the seasoned players with these... "Good mix of range and accuracy" they'd say. And they had large Batteries and big 500 round hicaps! A big selling point of those years!

The Tokyo Marui XM177 was the popular choice for newbies, albeit plastic and creaky. (Was actually my first gun all them years ago)

The Tokyo Marui AK47 was rock solid for the time though. But full stock version.. the skeletal stock version only took a stick battery (rubbish in them days!)

And that was it really... Thats all anyone ever had.

The M4A1 and P90 came out in quick succession after that, and then Classic Army and ICS came out with their fancy, laa-de-daa metal bodies... OooOoooOoooh

You young'uns are spoiled for choice these days.

Tut tut, I dunno.. moan moan, grumble grumble.

• Mostly Retired Moderators

Tell you what, I did have an idea last night.

The perfect gun for you is the G3 SAS, but you need another £50, unless you get it from Gunfire.pl

http://www.patrolbase.co.uk/airsoft/t3-sas-g3-cqb.htm#.WfwIY2mnxnE

Or £103 here:

https://gunfire.pl/product-eng-1152199192-JG094-carbine-replica.html

You hardly ever see these things in the wild.

Built like a Chinese tank and look cool as well - in an ugly kinda way.

I really like them.

eng_pl_JG094-carbine-replica-1152199192_

70b7ac7cf08b61d0d92dda0c4206706401c1edb6

I was looking at the cheaper version with the solid stock and short barrel but mags are expensive and cant find low caps mags for it.

The mp5 and ak mags are fairly cheap and i can get all kinds of mags for them.

I will have to buy a new mag pouch though to fit the banana mags

All in gor gun and mag pouch its just over 100 so  its within budget 

Either the Cm028 AK or the JG Mp5 are good, solid guns. With a few cheap tweaks they perform well and should keep going for ages. The JG is probably better out of the box.

If you shop around you might find somewhere that will do the two tone paint job for free, but most places charge, so bear that in mind when working out the cost.

Stripping the factory grease out of the gearbox, adjust the angle of engagement and getting the shimming and motor height correct will make the gearbox run smoother, better and for a lot longer. It also gives you a chance to spot any quality control issues that can be an issue on any lower priced product.

Also you could polish the cylinder bore and check the piston O ring seal, put a wrap of Teflon tape around  the cylinder head seal and use dental floss to secure and seal the hop rubber to the barrel.

The barrel will need cleaning and polishing.

After that just use decent 0.25g BBS and you'll have a gun that shootsome better than a lot of stock ones at your field.

2 minutes ago, Hangtight said:

Stripping the factory grease out of the gearbox, adjust the angle of engagement and getting the shimming and motor height correct will make the gearbox run smoother, better and for a lot longer. It also gives you a chance to spot any quality control issues that can be an issue on any lower priced product.

Also you could polish the cylinder bore and check the piston O ring seal, put a wrap of Teflon tape around  the cylinder head seal and use dental floss to secure and seal the hop rubber to the barrel.

The barrel will need cleaning and polishing.

After that just use decent 0.25g BBS and you'll have a gun that shootsome better than a lot of stock ones at your field.

Is there a youtube video you can link me to? 

I undersrand most of it just not the engagement and what faults to look for

This may have been said earlier in the thread (sorry for not wading through 6 pages of replies) :) - but if budget is tight, why not buy used?

I have about 12 RIFs in my 'collection' and all but 2 are used (and those 2 are G&G ;) ).

Used will net you a more expensive gun at a lower price and likely to have mags, batteries, upgrades and goodness knows what else with it.

Some may argue 'yeah, but it's orobably had, like a 10000000 bbs through it' but in my experience that's not usually the case. We tend to be quite precious about our shiny pewpews and so 'most' at least get reasonably looked after. Look for something boxed or cased and hasn't been painted (that causes more hassle than its worth IMHO). My local site has a trading table which has some decent stuff and you at least have some recourse to the seller or the weapon in question is known to the regulars. It's also a bit like a car that's out of warranty, because you're less worried about taking it to bits to fiddle/upgrade - if you're that way inclined of course (I certainly am). I only started playing earlier this year, but can confidently strip, shim, upgrade, R-Hop etc. YouTube is your friend in this respect (well, that and patience and steady hands).

I can completely understand the appeal of that shiny box-fresh appeal, but within a game or two you'll be sporting sratches, dings anyway, so you'll also have something with some patina :)

• Supporters
2 hours ago, commanderpegasus420 said:

Jg mp5

Cyma ak

The AK is more reliable, the Mp5 is more ergonomic. The AK will develop the loose fire selector issue with time.

Unless you go with the tactical AK, both need additional rail to mount red dot.

Compared to the long AK, the mp5 is more versatile, but if you are going for the short AK, then these are really quite equal in every aspect.

3 hours ago, commanderpegasus420 said:

Ok so ive narrowed it down to 2 guns out of everything thats been mentioned.

Jg mp5

Cyma ak

Which one would you rate higher?

Really dont want that m4

this is the thing, we wasnt (mostly) saying get an M4 is just for your budget, and the fact you seem desperate to buy a cheapo gun to get started than people (myself included) were talking about M4s, as they are often the easiest and in a combat machine case the most reliable option to start with. 

You have found some alternatives which are great, another m4 out there would be boring. Its just to get something you would be happy with you may need to look a bot harder or spend a little more.

the car anology has been done to death, but it works. Airsoft guns are like cars, theres thousands of shapes styles colours and options. Ultimately they all do the same, just in a different way and we dont want you turning up to a drag race in a robin reliant :P 

As to your choice above I cannot help you, but I know both have been discussed on here, and FFS have a read of the post @Jedi_Master stuck up a little while ago. 

I was like you, had a million questions, asked the same questions to different people but actually learnt more in one evening reading all the guides and sticky's on here as everyone have their own opinions and occasionally you get conflicting answers and the odd sarcastic one your not sure about!.

Personally I would either bite the bullet and just buy something you like the look of and can afford and stop with the constant questions and research nd get out there and play, your only going to confuse yourself or end up in your 80s still looking for that perfect £80 gun or just wait till after xmas and try to get another £50-£100 quid to actually get something better or more of what you want!

I know it may have sragged on last night but you never know if someoene knows of something better and more to my taste.

I have been looking through the used se tion here and made offers on the ones i am interested in but 100 will only get me so far with something im interested in.

Yh i probly fanboyd abit over that army r85 ive done a fair bit of digging on it and im not willing to drop another 100 in ot just to make it work when the ics l85 is good out of box. Ill save for one next year when i have some moneys freed up.

For now im still unsure which of the 2 guns to get they both have gd n bad points.

Ive seen snapped hopups on the mp5s and broken selctors and the odd gearbox malfunction of both on the internet.

Just to point something out though and you can see how unsure i was during this post but im unsure therefore need to converse with others to solve 

And theres also now quite a lost of guns sub 100 if any other noobs who end up needing the answers to questions ive pondered.

I should be good to go in a fortnight. Gotta get some eye pro n few other bits of surplus n one of them aegs n im ready to rock n roll 

Peg

24 minutes ago, commanderpegasus420 said:

For now im still unsure which of the 2 guns to get they both have gd n bad points.

Ive seen snapped hopups on the mp5s and broken selctors and the odd gearbox malfunction of both on the internet.

Everything breaks.... I dont mean to be funny or rude but you have only seen what has been put online, you have no real world experience on either of those guns. Dont get caught up too much in what people write online.

Im sure there are people who will never by a BMW as they had an uncle who got run over by one!!

Just choose the one YOU like the look of and can use. Remeber they are both different types of guns. You will need different batteries and mags for either and then pouches for them too. 

For every good point there will be a bad one and for every good post you read someone will rubbish it based on their experience. As you have little experience just grab one and go and then form your own opinion, no doubt there are a tonne of vids of broken krytacs, doesnt mean they should never be bought!

All guns whether abused, not cleaned or just due to unlucky accidents will snap/blow/shear or break at some point. Nothing lasts forever!

Im going with the cyma ak with the faux wood if i buy it from gun fire.pl they do free two tone and donwgrades and its cheaper too.

Im going to get a drum mag and bipod for it and use as a light support weapon. My lil bro does wood work so when i eventually get my ukara ill get him to make some furniture like the rpk or rpd uses.

I think the mp5 is good but wv the ak i could adapt it to different game sites and not be outgunned too badly outdoors.

Thx everyone for the info and the help finding a decent aeg.

I will be able to attend my local in a couple weeks just got eye pro and aeg to go now 

Pegasus

8 minutes ago, commanderpegasus420 said:

Im going to get a drum mag and bipod for it and use as a light support weapon.

Standard AK high cap magazines hold 600 rounds, plus the motor, wiring and trigger contacts aren't really up to sustained fire. The gearbox and piston etc are up to the job though, once things like angle of engagement, shimming and lubrication are sorted out.

14 minutes ago, commanderpegasus420 said:

My lil bro does wood work so when i eventually get my ukara ill get him to make some furniture like the rpk or rpd uses.

He'd better be good! I'm a joiner with a decent workshop and I'd rather buy a set than try and make it.

But you can make some cool customs with AKs if you get bored...

d4GscDf.jpg

Have fun. ;)

• Supporters
30 minutes ago, commanderpegasus420 said:

Im going to get a drum mag and bipod for it and use as a light support weapon.

Less plan, more play.

8M0WHzG.png

30 minutes ago, commanderpegasus420 said:

I think the mp5 is good but wv the ak i could adapt it to different game sites and not be outgunned too badly outdoors.

How and why do you imagine they'd perform any differently?

Archived