choosing a budget aeg advice wanted

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Im looking at a bunch of aeg type guns atm. I could do with advice with choosing the right one thats gna last and do the job in cqb environment.

The weapons im considering in price order....

.dragon ak 

.umarex arx160

.cyma cm027

.umarex iwi x95

.army armament r85a1

Any advice is helpful the cheaper ones in considering most as i can get out and play quicker.

Need general advice and if possible owners opinions if you hav or had any of the above.

Ive watched a fair few reviews but you guys know more about these things than i do or can watch on youtube.

Thx 

Pegasus

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cannot stand m4/m16 style rifles its a poor design compared to bullpups and aks.

Id like to invest in smg or bullpup type weapons and i dont have much to play with.

And the longer i take getting a gun the longer its gna take to get airsofting as i cant afford 50 quid a pop for rental stuff.

I was looking at the above guns as they are cheap and feature several metal parts. 

Even if it breaks it wont break the bank or stop playing for long to replace it. 

Id like to avoid going over the 100 mark but if i do im most likely going for the army armament r85 just because its familiar to me

Pegasus

Problem with budget airoft is the quality shelf, thers a cut off point where guns get real crappy real fast, and it is unfortunately at that 100 mark or there abouts, and I dunno about you but I like being able to hit targets more than 10m away. 

Thts my dilemma.

If im honest my heart lies with the sa80.

But the fancy ones are so expensive. 

The army armamnet l85 has some good reviews online. Im seriously considering it over everything else ive seen on the net so far aeg wise. Its made of metal and has a good level of realism seen them shoot on youtube and they do quite well. They accept diffrent magazines and i am used to the ergonomics of the gun from cadets as a youth.

My only gripe about it is the bolt lock is released by the locking side and the release side doesnt work from what ive seen in vids.

The ar setups may be the better option but i just dont like the ergonomics or the looks. May work well but just wont bring me any enjoyment.

Can anyone give me more info on the army armamnet r85???

Tah 

Pegasus

• Supporters
4 hours ago, commanderpegasus420 said:

Im looking at a bunch of aeg type guns atm. I could do with advice with choosing the right one thats gna last and do the job in cqb environment.

The weapons im considering in price order....

.dragon ak 

.umarex arx160

.cyma cm027

.umarex iwi x95

.army armament r85a1

Some of those may not be very suitable for tight CQB imho

I mean some might bring a Dragunov for poops & giggles but personally most would not

Dragon AK = JG AK just rebranded - think Cyma have the AK edge

Umarex ARX160 - cheap one has plastic gearbox, £160 is metal gearbox & £200+ has blowback

(still a pile of crap coz some bits are a bit bespoke - avoid)

Cyma CM027 - yup good budget AK but think for cqb you might want the CM037

Umarex IWI x95 - don't know & probably don't care some Umarex budget/mid end guns can be qwirky/bespoke

(really not what you want to be going for, some of their G36's have unique selector plates etc... (spares/repair tricky))

Army Armament R85 - really or do you think you want one coz Army/Cadets etc.....

(It is one of them guns imho you "think" you want but often people may not keep once they got it out of system)

If you are into cqb then alas short raider or noisy firehawk - yes I know they G&G M4 everybody has got them

(might be coz they are pretty good "safe or wise" choice for first gun)

do not buy cheapy crap from JBBG etc.....

if you hate M4's then a short AK CM037 or JG G36c perhaps

(could get a MP5k but tbh I'd still go for a short Raider for a safe hassle free out of box purchase)

Or buy what you like, it is your money in the end

On the cheap end of the spectrum I got my buddy a JG G36c and he is incredibly happy with it however I know thier quality control can be hit and miss so although he got a good one I wont promise that to you.

I have a CYMA AK the CM.028 which is OK nothing wow but shoots reliably.

I also have a CYMA mp5 that can be got from Taiwangun.com with a UKARA membership for circa £140. I like it a lot for what it is.

Hope my experience is useful but all my purchases were made based on a thread on here called womething like "Ian's guide to noobism on a budget".

• Mostly Retired Moderators

I'm going to be blunt here.. do you really need to make a dozen threads every day?

You made a thread asking about the army armament r85 just ten hours ago, and it's had no replies so you made this thread three hours later. You could've just edited the original thread..

Folks round here are very helpful (you'd be silly to disregard sitting ducks advice for example) but eventually they are going to get fatigued answering the same stuff over and over again.

If you want a good gun on a budget, the answer is none of the above.

Don't trust reviews on shop websites as it's nearly always kids reviewing their first ever gun ("best gun on the market, can hit a gnats pubes from 100mtrs, like a laser" etc)

And most YouTube reviews of cheap guns are the same. No one with a trustworthy reputation ever recommended a cheap AEG.

Just trying to prepare for this airsoft stuff. I may be asking alot of questions but if you dont ask you wont find out as they say.

End of day i am a noob and trying to prep for as much airsofting as i can afford a month.

I also do not own an aeg and the internet and reviews only say so much compared to someoen who may own the guns im looking into.

While it may be frustrating for some to see a noob trying to learn im afraid thats what i have to do until i am ready to rock n roll. Im new to the sport and slowly building up a bigger picture of what to do and what i will need etc.

I apreciate you all taking the time to answer my questions. And your advice is noted evn if i question it. 

I am after an aeg for a cqb based site i have a sniper for a woodland site.

I have been looking at the cyma and jg mp5's and seriously considering one over an l85 I like that its small and portable would be gr8 in corridors and such. Im not sure how it would handle in open ground between buildings though

I did think they would most likely be plastic gearboxes the exceptions so far are the cyma mp5 and the army r85 not sure about jg gearboxes though.

I dont dislike the ar/ak platforms cz of popularity its going to be used for cqb stuff and i dont want to be hauling a long barrel and stock around doorways and corridors. With a smg its gr8 for close range stuff but i keep looking at the sa80 thing and seeing a good middle ground between a full assault rifle and an smg. 

While i could find some fancy cqb m4 by a big name brand a smg or bullpup at a lower price could work just aswell and i could potentially save some cahs in the process. But its finding the ones that are going to be worth investing in im struggling with.

Pegasus

37 minutes ago, L3wisD said:

No one with a trustworthy reputation ever recommended a cheap AEG.

Oi! I am am upstanding member of the community thank you very much! ;)

• Supporters

I'd bet that if you searched for your question you could probably find a couple threads already up about it. The reason people recommend the CM16 is because it's a great starter gun. If a long barrel is an issue for you get the CQB variant and collapse the stock. It has rails for adding all your accessories and shoots accurately up to about 50m with .25. If you're on a budget you're not going to find many other options that offer the same quality for the price. 

Build quality. G&G have a while load of reviews that commend its quality. CYMA reviews start more with "it didnt suck like I expected it to". To be honest the CYMA M4s are relatively new and there are OK reviews but general consensus is why get something that might be as good as a basic G&G.

• Supporters

I've dropped and banged up my CM16 a dozen times and the polymer has never cracked. Just take into consideration that a full metal rifle is going to be considerably heavier than a polymer frame.

Metal isnt just metal aswell, as ridiculous as it sounds but you dont make an aeroplane from lead and a skyscraper from copper. Just because it is metal doesnt mean it wont be 'pot' metal and bend and break anyway. The internals of a gun are what really matter performance wise and a full metal CYMA with stripped gears is just a wall hanger. 

You seem fairly hell bent on that r85 but I am afraid I dont know enough about it to advise.

And know you have ke researching r85s! Doess your local site do single shot only rounds if so I would be careful of the l85 model even the seller has a no backsies clause if the selector switch dies.

https://www.airsoftworld.net/two-tone-army-armament-r85a1-l85a1.html

And it may be an issue they have resolved now but it looks like a few years back they were k own to strip pistons

Which if your not familiar with the workings of an AEG it is a problem

And a more recent article that suggests the piston problem isnt solved

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://frenchie35.wordpress.com/2013/02/21/the-army-r85-a-tale-of-upgrades/amp/&ved=0ahUKEwj__56KiJ3XAhWPaVAKHQl_AEMQFgibATAY&usg=AOvVaw2kdCsqP-KltKMGOC6Bs8GK&ampcf=1

And another older article that suggests despite first imppressions the update says it broke.

http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/reviewpost/showproduct.php/product/788/title/army-armament-r85-a1/cat/16

I havent watched the youtubers as I have done this on a train to work. But I would be wary who the tuber is backed by and are they indeed unbiased?

• Supporters

The difference between a G&G M4 and the Cyma equivalent is like the difference between a 20 year old Vauxhall nova and a 2 year old VW Polo.  While they're both made of metal and have wheels the experience is very different. 

Dont fall for the 'full metal' shite, full metal usually just means they've die cast some sh*t leftovers from the scrap yard instead of spending money on a plastic moulding process.  Especially at the budget you're talking about. 

Please by all means ignore us all and buy a piece of cheap sh*t, but you'll only end up making a load of threads in a few weeks asking how to improve the range/accuracy or how to replace a stripped piston etc. 

• Supporters
1 hour ago, commanderpegasus420 said:

Whats the difference between the g&g raider and the cyma version of it? 

Looks almost identical and seems to have the exact same features ie metal gearbox polymer body metal parts

I don't have a problem with the Cyma's but you do get what you pay for

not an issue if you are going to gut the gun or know what you are buying

BUT they are never in same league as the G&G starters like the Raider

Receiver - G&G wins

(polymer receiver is a little more resilient than hard cyma plastic receiver)

Motor - G&G just wins but both are lame stock motors. G&G is a bit more quality 18k rpm (Blue G&G is better)

(cyma is 28tpa very cheap but has D pinion - G&G 27tpa o pinion but can is better to re-use (similar can to SHS (no tabs)))

Hop/Barrel - G&G wins due to bucking but cyma barrel is quite decent-ish

Externally - G&G wins by a mile, from the ccw flash hider where cyma is just pushed on

metal buffer tube Vs Cyma plastic one, better quality sights on G&G though cheap cyma crane has a little more room

Raider has pull down dust cover, cyma drops down but cheapo and may need a little attention/grease to work perfectly

(but just in general the cyma does feel cheaper in every way)

Gearbox - G&G easily but cyma is perhaps a bit more robust but qwirky & not so smooth running imho

plus upgrades in a cyma box need a little more work like 13:1 gears, trimmed tappet plate etc.....

Battery - ergh cyma coz you don't get a freebie with G&G

but if you was to buy one most likely you should go lipo and be done with it

Summing up Raider Vs CM517.....

if you can get cyma for £70 and looking to tweak it yourself with the money saved - maybe the cyma

Raider for £120 is still the wiser go to option if I had to choose & recommend one

Ahhhh, but if you was thinking of getting one to upgrade then cyma is the best ???

Not quite - If I can get a s/hand Raider in need of a service then I'd choose that I think as a base to upgrade

By all means buy what you want, just explaining the differences between the two

THAT is why many suggest the G&G M4's

The L85 or R85 is perhaps a gun you might perhaps buy as a third gun one day if you still desire one

If £100 is your budget and experienced players are saying that buying a gun under/within that budget is likely to only lead you to having to

• fix it
  • buy a new one after it dies

Why not save a little longer and get something that has a bit more of a reputable review and still within your choice of being a bullpup etc. I can understand the excitement of wanting to get a new gun and being new to the hobby wanting to jump in and get going but like many others will attest to buying cheap means you will more than likely end up buying twice.

I'm loosing count of the amount of new players to the sport (and I'm not saying this you by any means just stating a fact) that come on forums, ask for advice, don't listen to said advice and then come back a few weeks later asking why their gun is now in bits on the floor because its inevitably died.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, James1989 said:

CYMA reviews start more with "it didnt suck like I expected it to".

Ooh, ooh, that's me, that's me.

£75 for the cheapest M4 from Patrol Base got me a surprisingly usable-out-of-the-box gun for CQB, is all I'll say.  I may regret it in a few months, I may not, but I reckon I'll probably break it by making pointless improvements before it has a chance to wreck itself.

Correct me if I'm wrong, commanderpegasus, but you haven't actually skirmished yet, let alone got a UKARA, so are you prepared to wait, go with a two-tone from gunfire.pl / PatrolBase, try and buy a used RIF, or what?

I ask because where you're buying from will effect the price and availability and value proposition of your candidate guns.

• Supporters
41 minutes ago, commanderpegasus420 said:

I am keen on the r85. The owners ive seen on youtube rate it highly and for half

I also used one in the cadets so it feels abit homey to me i guess. 

I am considering other options but so far this one really calls out to me just on the specs alone.

6 hours ago, Sitting Duck said:

Army Armament R85 - really or do you think you want one coz Army/Cadets etc.....

(It is one of them guns imho you "think" you want but often people may not keep once they got it out of system)

Yup - I guessed so

Wait until the clickety clackety blow back breaks

it keeps getting stuck precocked on low juice

or you use higher juice batteries on a low spring

or you get fed up fumbling with battery

They are unique guns, but need a caring owner who really loves them - hence maybe not a first/second choice of gun

Spoon has one he has done a lot of work on his AA R85

Airsoft Ed had an ICS one that was in a league of its own but there was no expense spared to obtain this

So the possible choice of L85 as first gun & simply straight out of box may not be the most wisest choice perhaps

Archived