Game shenanigans---->moan

snuff
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I played Sunday(X-site..High Wycombe) and all in all my m8's and myself had a great day.We played a few warm up games then were split into teams(2 x 40),our team being more aggressive won the early games with ease,seeing ths the marshalls re-balanced the sides,we still won but more sedately.During the day the marshalls called a group talk to discuss the poor hit-tking which I personaly hadn't witnessed,I discount "newbies" as first game nerves.

On 2 ocassions I had to tell a seasoned player "dead players don't talk" and when we finally went onto the other side I had to tell a newbie the same,TBH the newbie took it better,no I'm not a marshall but it is US that can improve the game and teach new players how to adhere to the rules.

1 player in particular I found rather annoying though (on the opposing side),my friend and I would shot him,he would return to the exact same spot(??) and although he ducked down his helmet was easilty visible,we would shoot him then stop,he would return a volley of shots then walk off(??),funny but annoying if he hits you.And Sniping;::---- when you hit someone and they "neck" around trying to spot you before they walk off...hats off to you snipers..

Finally my m8's and I went onto the other side...and then I discovered it was our original team that had a "clutch" of cheats,how embarrassing,I hope we weren't winning due to them.

The good thing is that there were a few new players,we made them welcome and they are looking at continuing in the future.

It's not about winning for me and many others,it's about the quality of the day,the marshalls did a sterling job BTW.

Moan done..as I said a great day for the most part..

• Supporters

In my experience if you have an issue with a player it's best to talk to them after rather than in the game. Alternatively notify an admin if it's bad sportsmanship. 

Glad to hear you had a fun day regardless. :)

• Supporters

It's disappointing, but it's more puzzling.  I mean, if you're not there to play airsoft by the same rules as everyone else, why are you there at all?  Where's the pleasure in "victory" with God Mode toggled on?

I've not seen it much, but there was one fat fu-... rotund gentleman... who was obviously getting lit up like a Christmas tree by multiple people in a dark room where he probably imagined that he couldn't be seen bouncing BBs off his bonce. Then when we'd all honestly taken our hits, he was sperging some gibberish about "Is that your first death?  I've been dead five times already..." <_<

The laugh was, he had been hit multiple times in the bare forehead and blood was streaming down his face.  I genuinely think he was a bit soft in the head, no pun intended.

• Supporters
9 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

It's disappointing, but it's more puzzling.  I mean, if you're not there to play airsoft by the same rules as everyone else, why are you there at all?  

Sadly some people take the game too seriously and will do anything to win. Then there's those that think they can get away with it. 

That's the problem with an honor based hit system. :|

14 minutes ago, Gepard said:

In my experience if you have an issue with a player it's best to talk to them after rather than in the game. Alternatively notify an admin if it's bad sportsmanship. 

Glad to hear you had a fun day regardless. :)

Tried that.."not me mate" reply..anyway approaching people after the game has an aggressive edge IMHO..

• Supporters

I'm not sure what you could do about it though, other than to declare "Team Blue would have won, but that chap, and that one and that one were caught not taking hits, so yay Team Yellow".  Seems like that would leave everyone grumpy, like all good compromises.

The marshals at my local site are pretty good, but not everyone would agree on a standard for that. One player on my team came out of a game effing and blinding that "Some <radio edit> of a marshal had shot him in the back, what's that all about, what a <radio editing> <radio edit> of a <radio editor>, I should have <radio edited> him right in his <radio edit>."

I tried explaining that it would have been a test shot because someone had reported that he, or someone dressed like him, wasn't taking hits (he was wearing a leather jacket), and that he could just go and ask, but no, he preferred to be in aggrieved high dudgeon about it.  You can't please everyone.

• Supporters

I like sites that do this. If an admin hits you and you call it they just tell you to play on. If you don't call it you have to sit out a round. Multiple offenses gets you booted off the site. Good system, works well. 

They do that there also.I've seen this site eject people and if you are one of the people "sinned" against it is pleasing to see....

At the end as long as everyone went home eventualy having a good day we achieved what we need to,,,and had fun...

• Supporters

Eh, it's clearly announced at our briefings, but either this chap wasn't listening or believed that it only applied to other people.  I got test-shot early on my first day, went from confused to aggrieved to comprehending in a few seconds and that was that - it's not a difficult concept.

I'd actually like to see more of it, if anything.  It can only really have a deterrent effect if every player knows there's a real chance of any given hit being a test shot that potentially carries some time on the naughty step even if they're a site regular.

Had something similar the other night. Marshall was told a couple of times about a couple of players, did some test shots and they didn’t call them. Result? Our side was given the round wins by default. 

Definitely not not a great way to win, there were some good players on the opposing team but who can tell how much the cheaters were assisting if we were calling our hits from players who had legitimately been hit but not called it and then took out a number of ours whilst ‘dead’. 

• Supporters

I'd probably prefer just naughty stepping the bulletproof players and let the result fall where it may.  Group punishment only works if the group then brings peer pressure to bear on the transgressors.  But as you note, their "contributions" up to then were unknown, they might already have tipped it.

I guess nobody can really win cleanly while there are players in God Mode. :(

I should note, I've not actually seen much of it at all - must stop watching those Septic "WORSTS AIRSOFT CHEETARS EVAR!!!!" clickbaits on YouTube. ;)

• Supporters
6 hours ago, snuff said:

Tried that.."not me mate" reply..anyway approaching people after the game has an aggressive edge IMHO..

Agree, in fact in at least 95% of cases I fail to see how some people don't allegedly feel the hit, failing that don't they hear the hit ?, I've called myself out just because I've heard the distinctive "THWACK" that a bb makes on kit or bdu's & there's nobody else close enough to be the targeted player.

but unless your staff, pointing out people's transgressions between games rarely goes well.

when I used to player-marshall for cage/invicta, I'd often do the "test" shot if someone had been brought to my attention, always pistol shot to the butt, if they rubbed it & played on they'd get 20 mins sin bin in the safe zone, guarantee they never ignored the test shot again.

Trouble is if they are going to cheat they are unlikely to admit it but will be aware that it has been noticed if they are approached..by a marshall.

I am not afraid to tell team mates that they are hit and I'm willing to accept the same advice,I would shoot a cheat on my own team if it was blatant and have done...

As a footnote I love the positive vibes that newbies give off after a good game/day..:D

• Supporters

Can't argue with that, & always take their hits, a cheating noob is rarer than rockin horse poop.

when it comes to cheats it's more likely to be a crye clad player with a tacticool beard & a systema, who believes he's a bona fide "Operator"......& is back at work at Game on Monday ;)

12 hours ago, Tackle said:

Can't argue with that, & always take their hits, a cheating noob is rarer than rockin horse poop.

when it comes to cheats it's more likely to be a crye clad player with a tacticool beard & a systema, who believes he's a bona fide "Operator"......& is back at work at Game on Monday ;)

Ignoring your statement about people who wear crye, have a beard and run a systemas (i really don't understand where this stereotype comes from or started ;)).... you know who 95% of the time I find are cheaters, middle aged men that have the Mr Motivator factor about them. They also tend to be the demographic that moan the most about game types, game lengths, other cheaters and who also talk the most during briefings.

On the hearing a hit rather than feeling it subject I find it hard to believe (unless in a particularly loud place) that people cant hear a hit over feeling it if it has hit somewhere on their plate carrier or BDU. I run swimmers plates in my PC so it has an even more distinct sound when hit than the normal thwack! The noise a BB makes when it hits loose material as well is pretty distinguishable!!

As a marshal of a site I actually find it quite refreshing when a player comes up to me laughing at themselves saying something along the lines of "I'm pretty sure a twig fell on me but I took the hit anyway" (hey it happens!) or "not sure if it was a ricochet or not but hey I'll just respawn and get back in!" I know and understand everyone wants to "win" the day but its not like once your hit you're out for the rest of the day for Christ's sake :D

38 minutes ago, clumpyedge said:

Ignoring your statement about people who wear crye, have a beard and run a systemas (i really don't understand where this stereotype comes from or started ;)).... you know who 95% of the time I find are cheaters, middle aged men that have the Mr Motivator factor about them. They also tend to be the demographic that moan the most about game types, game lengths, other cheaters and who also talk the most during briefings.

On the hearing a hit rather than feeling it subject I find it hard to believe (unless in a particularly loud place) that people cant hear a hit over feeling it if it has hit somewhere on their plate carrier or BDU. I run swimmers plates in my PC so it has an even more distinct sound when hit than the normal thwack! The noise a BB makes when it hits loose material as well is pretty distinguishable!!

As a marshal of a site I actually find it quite refreshing when a player comes up to me laughing at themselves saying something along the lines of "I'm pretty sure a twig fell on me but I took the hit anyway" (hey it happens!) or "not sure if it was a ricochet or not but hey I'll just respawn and get back in!" I know and understand everyone wants to "win" the day but its not like once your hit you're out for the rest of the day for Christ's sake :D

Damn that's me....<_<

In the few sites iv'e been to, iv'e only ever had "test shots" at AWA. I think they work, although I cannot say they do 100% as one player told me - "If you get hit, regardless of what it is, take it there is a marshall over there who is test shooting players" so to me that kind of defeats the object of it? Not saying I dont take hits, but it was odd that he said that and I believe he was a regular there :/

In the other places i go to, when you inform a marshall they come and stand near you and see what happens - sometimes, they will tell you, you have been hit - maybe its because you didnt hear it or saw a BB hit a wall but a different one hits you for example.

I actually heard a marshall on comms be told that where we were (basement) there was accusations of blind fire, and the marshall simply said, iv'e been here for 20 minutes and the fights are good and there is NO blind fire at all. <- this firefight was probably the best one iv'e had at the mall. Although that same day someone really was not taking their hits, and when I looked back at him to get a description i got a "What fam" back at me.... I "did not" light him up the next round or two.... :rolleyes:

• Supporters

Lol, I'm a middle aged man (50 soon), but not that motivated any more, but was when I started playing 16+years ago, & before that I was a "falling plate" & professional sportsman, so I have enough experience to understand the varying psyche of males playing adrenaline furled sports, my comment about crye clad stereotypes is real, but not solely owned by users of crye etc, that would be naive to believe.

cheats come in all shapes & sizes, & sometimes not just individuals, whole dedicated teams that believe their own hype when it comes to their abilities.

by the same degree, some players shouldn't be so quick to call "non hit taking", as the seasoned players here will testify, a well aimed shot doesn't guarantee a hit, the tiniest twig, breeze or hop limits can all ensure the bb doesn't reach it's intended target.

i feel that when playing, a lot of people need to chill, enjoy it for what I is, a game.

mark

Just now, Tackle said:

Lol, I'm a middle aged man (50 soon), but not that motivated any more, but was when I started playing 16+years ago, & before that I was a "falling plate" & professional sportsman, so I have enough experience to understand the varying psyche of males playing adrenaline furled sports, my comment about crye clad stereotypes is real, but not solely owned by users of crye etc, that would be naive to believe.

cheats come in all shapes & sizes, & sometimes not just individuals, whole dedicated teams that believe their own hype when it comes to their abilities.

by the same degree, some players shouldn't be so quick to call "non hit taking", as the seasoned players here will testify, a well aimed shot doesn't guarantee a hit, the tiniest twig, breeze or hop limits can all ensure the bb doesn't reach it's intended target.

i feel that when playing, a lot of people need to chill, enjoy it for what I is, a game.

mark

Totally agree with your points there Mark.

The amount of times when working I've had players screaming to high heaven they are hitting someone only for another marshal to go and stand near said player and the the BB's are falling 4ft short. 

Agreed on the team comment, I've met a few teams who I thought very highly of when I first started out, played against them and learnt other wise. 

I think again its like any "sport" people get wrapped up in the moment (understandably sometimes) and loose themselves in the moment.

• Supporters

I can see how the rot could set in very quickly on a team.  I can't say I have seen it yet, but the pressure to not be the first person to let the team down might very easily lead to not taking just one hit.  I mean, it's not really cheating, you'll definitely take the next one, probably, just as soon as someone else does.

It's not like top level professional sportsmen set the best of examples these days.

8hwbd0E.gif

• Supporters

I was in a great team, the Sea Devils (now disbanded, but our sister team, Wraith Alpha in Bristol are still going), & we had a really easygoing mindset, win or lose it was all about the craic, BUT we had one player who over time became a bit "Teflon", which became an issue for the rest of us as it started to embarres us as a team.

funny thing was, he also was quick to say the other side weren't taking their hits......definition of irony lol

While I'd love to come to UK and play airsoft with you guys, there's one thing that really gets on my nerves..

Your constant "call your hits" yelling, come on, no need to yell like a teenager at her favorite band concert.

You spot someone that's not calling his hits? Just shoot him again.

He may have not felt the first bb, there's nothing wrong in hitting him again.. If he still doesn't feel (or doesn't want to feel them) switch to full auto and close the distance..

Imo if you want to yell at someone you should do it when the game ends..

• Supporters

Mmm, my local site declares that cheat calling is as bad as cheating.  I don't know how well that's enforced since they're both so rare, but I do agree with the sentiment.

• Supporters
44 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Mmm, my local site declares that cheat calling is as bad as cheating.  I don't know how well that's enforced since they're both so rare, but I do agree with the sentiment.

I think the issue is it usually comes out like:

"take your hits you Cnut"

which then escalates as apparently Gobshites are offended by a smack in the mouth lol.

Not that I encourage physical contact in a game, but I can see how it very occasionally happens.

Archived