Clarify the Classifieds

Tiercel
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hello, 

Could we have more sub-sections to clarify the guns classifieds sections please? The current "Electric/Gas/Spring" options seems just far too broad, for instance if I'm looking for a new GBB rifle, I dont want to trawl through pages of GBB pistols. Similarly if I want a springer sniper rifle, I dont want to see pages of shotguns. My suggestion would be a layout something like this:

Guns for sale:

Electric Powered:

-AEG

-AEP 

-Other

Gas Powered:

-GBBRs

-Pistols

-Shotguns

-Sniper Rifles

-Other

Spring Powered:

-Sniper Rifles

-Shotguns

-Pistols

-Other

• Head Moderator

In principle, having a few more categories would help and I favour separating gas pistols from GBBR.  I remember last year when I tried polling for HPA guns to have their own sub category.  

However, Devastator is not into “dilution” of sub forums, hence the broad categories used for the Classifieds.  

Searching is not that difficult.  Luckily there are no more than two pages for spring guns. .What would be really useful is having all forum members posting when they have sold an item and marked the title as Sold to cut down on number of dead results.  

• Supporters

Y U NO HAVE ELECTROSHOTGUNS?

It'd be nice, but given the fairly low volume of sales here I agree that it wouldn't be hugely beneficial.  I kind of assume that anything that's not on the front page of each section has probably already sold or the seller wasn't that serious.

What might be nice is to prevent anyone but the OP from posting in for sale threads, as "stil 4 sail m8???" doesn't add much.

And if sellers shouldn't be BUMPing their own threads more than once a week, why can they do it at all?  The followup warning about it is hardly a deterrent since they've already benefited from the BUMP.

• Head Moderator
4 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Y U NO HAVE ELECTROSHOTGUNS?

Probably because they are AEGs, niche, and very few are put up for sale ;).

Locking down the sales topic to only the seller has been an ongoing request to Devastator from the Moderators since at least June.  Having a once weekly bump shows that the item is still available and the seller wants to sell.  That is why all topics with 3 months inactivity are closed. The problem is those sellers who do not read the rules or just ignore them, as well as bumping their topic at the top of the list.  It is not difficult to edit the OP to add details or make changes.  The Moderator post for Early Bumping is a useful because it flags the issue to keep an eye on the seller.  Unnecessary posts get removed, i.e. buyers posting instead of sending a PM.

On 10/30/2017 at 2:45 PM, Jedi_Master said:

In principle, having a few more categories would help and I favour separating gas pistols from GBBR.  I remember last year when I tried polling for HPA guns to have their own sub category.  

However, Devastator is not into “dilution” of sub forums, hence the broad categories used for the Classifieds.  

Searching is not that difficult.  Luckily there are no more than two pages for spring guns. .What would be really useful is having all forum members posting when they have sold an item and marked the title as Sold to cut down on number of dead results.  

Could that be subject to change if the likes of Z1 doesn't come back? If more traffic starts coming this way and more start selling guns via this site would that not warrant a change to having subsections?

• Head Moderator
13 minutes ago, clumpyedge said:

Could that be subject to change if the likes of Z1 doesn't come back? If more traffic starts coming this way and more start selling guns via this site would that not warrant a change to having subsections?

Based on member feedback / suggestions then a proposal (request for change) can be put forward to Devastator.  If, and how long that will take to achieve is another matter.

• Supporters

I think that expanding the classified section would be a good idea if the volume of traffic does increase. 

• Supporters
On 10/30/2017 at 4:09 PM, Jedi_Master said:

Locking down the sales topic to only the seller has been an ongoing request to Devastator from the Moderators since at least June.  Having a once weekly bump shows that the item is still available and the seller wants to sell.  That is why all topics with 3 months inactivity are closed. The problem is those sellers who do not read the rules or just ignore them, as well as bumping their topic at the top of the list.  It is not difficult to edit the OP to add details or make changes.  The Moderator post for Early Bumping is a useful because it flags the issue to keep an eye on the seller.  Unnecessary posts get removed, i.e. buyers posting instead of sending a PM.

I suggested this a few years ago and got told it was a sh*t idea lol.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Supporters
On 30/10/2017 at 4:09 PM, Jedi_Master said:

Locking down the sales topic to only the seller has been an ongoing request to Devastator from the Moderators since at least June.

At a quick glance, the majority of For Sale threads bumps are "stil 4 sail?" necros by posters who have contributed nothing else and most likely never will.

On 30/10/2017 at 4:09 PM, Jedi_Master said:

Unnecessary posts get removed, i.e. buyers posting instead of sending a PM.

This can be seen to not be the case (facts be triggering, yo), and even if it were, it wouldn't unbump the thread so the damage is already done.

Trusting random intardnets users is a nice concept, but it's like giving a toddler a boot full of urine with "Do not invert" written on the heel.

• Head Moderator
2 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

This can be seen to not be the case (facts be triggering, yo), and even if it were, it wouldn't unbump the thread so the damage is already done.

Fact - unnecessary posts do get removed as soon as seen.  The ‘still for sale’ ones are left unless they are negotiating sales.

Fact - once the unnecessary post has been removed, the Classifieds topic is then effectively un-bumped.

Many bumps are caused by the sellers not following the rules.  Majority of Moderator time is spent dealing with the Classifieds.  

Archived