Buying outside uk worth it?

GothicGhost
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi all.

I have my ukara now so looking for a TM Mp7 GBB in tan.

Uk prices not including delivery cost are about £320 I have seen so far.

I don't know if it's worth getting from say this site here http://echigoya-guns.com/en/gas-rifle-and-smg/139-mp7a1-tan-gbb.html?search_query=mp7&results=8

And pay the import charges.

I'm not 100% how much the charges are but I think i'm look at £80?

Thanks for any advice :)

+20% vat

+12?% duty

+shipping

+ the ridiculous fee fedex or whoever it is want for paying the duty for you. I bought a hop up chamber. Duty was £6.. fedex wanted £13 just for paying it when I didn’t ask them to. They can whistle for that. 

So your £200 is now £280ish plus shipping. Personally I’d stump up the extra and buy from the UK. That being said, if you do buy it, let us know how you got on. 

• Supporters

Cost of the gun + shipping is 35000 Japanese Yen which equals to about £234.24.

Rounding this to £235 before duty, tax and Parcel Force fees.

£235 + £7.52 in duty fees = £242.52

242.52 + 48.50 in VAT = 291.02

£291.02 + 13.5 Parcel Force Fees = £304.52 in total cost give or take some depending on what the market value of the Yen is to the Pound the day it arrives.

You might be looking anywhere between £70 to £80 in duty, tax and Parcel Force fees.

The Gun will ship via EMS from Japan which means it will land in Parcel Forces hands.

On items I’ve imported (from the US, Hong Kong & China) I have not had to pay customs duty, but have paid import VAT at 20% and handling fees 

Check HMRC information online for whether duty will apply and at what rate.

Note that some senders automatically give dodgy customs declarations claiming items are gifts or commercial samples but everyone knows about this and it attracts attention - it’s also not clever to mark something as a gift then include the real invoice in the paperwork

The valuation for tax purposes will generally be as per the invoice, but customs can make their own valuation assessment, eg based on a UK sale price which then makes importing something you could get here unviable 

99% of the time you may think that it’s HMRC dealing with you about import fees, but it tends to be the bonded courier, which is part of the reason for their handling fee.  Take into account that the carrier fee could be as much as £20

https://www.gov.uk/goods-sent-from-abroad

• Supporters
28 minutes ago, Tommikka said:

99% of the time you may think that it’s HMRC dealing with you about import fees, but it tends to be the bonded courier, which is part of the reason for their handling fee.  Take into account that the carrier fee could be as much as £20

Taken from another forum, veracity unverified:

The real bunfight is if you get something imported through one of the big ports like harwich. There are a load of customs agents who circle like vultures round each consignment and grab packages. You are then at their mercy as to the fees they decide to charge. The way round it is to pre-arrange the import handling with a specific company and (and this is the tricky bit) get the exporter to clearly and boldly mark the outside of the package stating that it is to be handled by that company.

It'll invariably be grabbed by someone else but when they contact you to demand payment, you then tell them to do-one, my company is handling the import, it's clearly marked as such and they'll be over to your depot directly to retrieve it. Humptiness ensues.

Thank you all for your comments.

I think I will get it in the uk then by the sounds of it lol.

Cost me a bit more but seems simple thing to do and not worry about extra charges.

Thanks again.

1 hour ago, dazzer306 said:

Have you tried some of the EU countries no VAT, no import fees and possible free shipping just an idea 

Strictly speaking it’s VAT paid - at the EU countries rate

The EU free trade agreement covers local taxes paid and no additional taxes across EU borders 

Archived