transporting on a motorcycle

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

What's the bike ?

ive used my xt600e many times to get to games BUT I have made my own pannier racks, which i use with hard cases so weight isn't an issue.

i guess what bike you have plus what kinda gats etc you want to carry, eg you wouldn't want to try to strap a Barrett '50 to a cg125.

• Supporters

Armstrong / HD MT-350 with an actual gun carrier case? ;)

I haven't transported airsoft guns, but I have taken bows and camping chairs and other such long things in bags.

My preferred method is to cable tie a plastic flower pot (stay with me here) onto one of the pillion pegs to form a base.  For bonus points, drill some holes in the side, and tie it to the hangar as well.

Then drop the bottom of the bag into that, and bind it tightly to the footrest hangar with a bungie, ROK strap, paracord, or a couple of re-usable cable ties chained together. Then secure it again at the top of the pillion seat using whatever strapping seems most appropriate for the bike, e.g. run a bungie or ROK strap over the pillion seat to a luggage hook on the other side.

That said, I have a 0.7m gun bag with shoulder straps which takes an M4 and which I could just sling on my back.  I'm not sure you'd get a sniper on your back, although it appears that some of the common ones can be split from the stock just by removing a couple of bolts, so you may be able to do so.

2 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Armstrong / HD MT-350 with an actual gun carrier case? ;)

I haven't transported airsoft guns, but I have taken bows and camping chairs and other such long things in bags.

My preferred method is to cable tie a plastic flower pot (stay with me here) onto one of the pillion pegs to form a base.  Then drop the bottom of the bag into that, and bind it tightly to the footrest hangar with a bungie, ROK strap, paracord, or a couple of re-usable cable ties chained together. Then secure it again at the top of the pillion seat using whatever strapping seems most appropriate for the bike, e.g. run a bungie or ROK strap over the pillion seat to a luggage hook on the other side.

That said, I have a 0.7m gun bag with shoulder straps which takes an M4 and which I could just sling on my back.  I'm not sure you'd get a sniper on your back, although it appears that some of the common ones can be split from the stock just by removing a couple of bolts, so you may be able to do so.

Beat me to it

I’ve not ridden a bike for a long time (the last time involved a transit van, me sliding up the road with my chin in the tarmac and my passenger bouncing back on the road riding along beside me)

But I wouldn’t be keen about anything on my back, unless I was confident it was sat centrally and stable

I once rode with oars horizontally strapped to the crash bars (Is that what they were called?) 

That was an interesting ride

I like the flower pot system

5406B666-C252-4D22-BB23-38F72E7910C2.jpeg

Midst of the 'common' ones have bolts that are threaded into cheese,so you don't want to do this too often.

An L96 needs a LONG hard case, but these can be had for around 35 quid with good enough seals to keep a bit of weather out at motorway speed. With a bit of bodgery it shouldn't be too hard to rig a mount that picks up a pillion peg and the grab rail, and still leaves enough room for throw overs.

You should try getting a driver (me), a twelve year old, two strapping lads and all their gear including sniper rifle, spare guns, ammo, batteries, carriers, boots, pads, helmets, etc in a bloody Fiat Panda!

Edcase a guy toured the world on a r1. It is possible lol

Some gr8 comments guys loving it.

Yes its a 125 garden special.

I like the idea with the pot rogerborg i think im gna use something along the lines of what you put but wasnt sure if soemeone had found a better way.

In the future im planning to get a sidecar and mount a airsoft machine gun to it lol

Until then i need some way to attach my guns and ill get a pair of 58 pattern day sacks to store equipment.

But it is a long gun and i am worried a pidgeon or car will damage it

Pegasus

16 minutes ago, EDcase said:

I've considered it a few times but I don't think I can make it work.

My bike just isn't the useful kind :(

vlow.jpg.70018c5b7e905ae65aeaca853c2fef37.jpg

I keep looking at RC8s in the classifieds, and although I think my bank account could take the strain, I'm not sure my middle aged knees could! Still want one very badly though...

• Head Moderator
3 hours ago, commanderpegasus420 said:

Couldnt find anything in search.

Erm, search "transport"

1 hour ago, Hangtight said:

I keep looking at RC8s in the classifieds, and although I think my bank account could take the strain, I'm not sure my middle aged knees could! Still want one very badly though...

I ain't no spring chicken :D When I was born the Vietnam war still had a couple of years to go...

Its actually the most comfy sports bike I've ridden, compared to CBR's and GSX-R's.

(PM me if you want to chat)

Commanderpegasus420: The option I'd try first is to have gunbag on your back straight up and resting on the seat.  Then the day sacks bungied on the pillion.

There was nothing titled transporting on a motorcycle

I think i got it sorted now guys im gna invest in getting a crude sidecar made.

For the future if anyone else is looking into this subject...

You can buy rifle scabbards. You could also make one if you can stitch leather of course.

Basicly just a piece of leather the length of the gun you can fold over to make a sheath and then stitch it up and add some loops to buckle to the frame or forks.

The design could be made to fit any gun shape and a leather jacket from the charity shop isnt much. Probly have all buckles and straps on the jacket already to retrofit the bike

Heres a pic for rough idea

b66a3eb814ad855859fda5118a86a47f--motorcycle-travel-classic-motorcycle.jpg

• Head Moderator
29 minutes ago, commanderpegasus420 said:

There was nothing titled transporting on a motorcycle

You can buy rifle scabbards. You could also make one if you can stitch leather of course.

Which is why you have to use different search terms and do some reading.

Just make sure that the scabbard does fully enclose (hide) the gun, so as not to alarm members of the public when they see Ghost Rider going past.

• Supporters

Like Jedi, I nearly choked when I read the post above his, it's ok to adapt foot pegs etc to use as mounting or tie down points, but that's assuming your gun cases or bags are also up to the job.

But scabbards or other quick draw cobbled together kit isn't acceptable, irrespective of budgetary restrictions, the whole point is that no member of the public see's you & thinks "is that a gun ?", or worse you have an rta & they end up exposed in the road.

both scenarios end with aru's in attendance & a shitstorm of bad publicity for airsoft, or worse.

I’ve gone short distances to the mill in Wigan on my GSXR. Had a folded up g36c, mp9 and a belt in a bag. But I’d rather fold the seats down in the car and just bring EVERYTHING now lol

Ohhh, a topic I can get involved in!

So I don't own a car yet I love to play so how do I make the 10 mile trip to my site? On my beloved, trusty daily-ridden Kawasaki ER-6N.

(I'm 6'1" so that helps with the scale of me on the bike)

59f22a94ba81e_DayoutontheKwak.jpg.cf0fb074404547a265366fd88fb091a6.jpg

(My dads old Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport, that was a big sports tourer while mine is a mid-sized naked so the size difference is quite stark)

59f22a952d3cd_ER6andTiger2.jpg.b62c8c79ec926c01ca4cbffa8a03aafb.jpg

I currently use a trio of bags to get all my kit to game.

The gun bag is an ASG Strike Systems Rifle Slip Bag.

The big hiking backpack is a Mountain Warehouse 65L Backpack

The smaller bag is a Motorbike Tank Bag, brand unknown but I'd guesstimate it to be 15-20L space.

Bags_for_Airsoft.thumb.jpg.9ecfc2cccba193b19b022efe03783861.jpg

The gun bag is the obvious one, my rifle of the day (Currently a PTS Magpul ER4 Scout)

The tank bag currently carries my Pistol case (Pistol + 3 mags + speed loader), head wear (Eye pro, lower face, hat), gloves and two batteries (One in each side pocket in their boxes. I've not sorted a separate box for them)

The hiking bag is the major player in here, the amount of sh*t I throw in there is unreal and 65L of space is fantastic, juuuuust right for what I throw in there.

• Leather boots with ankle support
  • Vest with pouches on it
  • Gas bottles
  • Box with my Torch, TRMR Primers, Battery controller, spare AAA Batteries, sight protector
  • Red dot sight in box
  • Drop-leg pistol holster (Usually has a gas bottle stuffed into it)
  • BB Bottles
  • Odins Speed Loader
  • 9 M4 Mags (5 Midcaps, 4 Hi-caps depending on how I want to play for the day)

Each side pocket takes a 500ml water bottle (on top of what else I buy and drink on the day) with the top pocket (zip is hidden in the photo) taking a spare t-shirt, deodorant can and vaseline lip balm.

All in, I'd guesstimate total weight at about 20 kilo's of kit which I take with me. Most of that weight is in the backpack but it's helped by the fact that it sits on the rear seat of my bike  when I'm riding. I have to put the rifle bag on and then the backpack over it. I lucked out with the rifle bag, first time lucky as the strap is long enough while providing enough padding so I can't feel the rifle against my back, just the bag. I'm also lucky in that I feel confident in my setup to reach motorway speeds and above as the vast majority of my trip is on the motorway, that's even with the rifle bag sticking over my head and off to my left side.

I've considered panniers but I can't justify the cost of the brackets + cases for a once a fortnight use and I filter way too much on the way home from work, panniers would stop me doing that and piss me off to no end.

For you, commanderpegasus420, with the bike you've got. You could easily recreate my setup, while lack luster on power as it's a 125, you could easily ride back and forth with that much kit. You MIGHT have to adjust rear tyre pressures and/or suspension settings to cope with the extra weight. Depends on how close you are to it right now, I say that as on my '07 Yamaha YBR 125 when I was on L Plates, manufacturer specs were 32 PSI for riders under 85KG and then up to 40PSI for over that iirc.

59 minutes ago, Paltala said:

I've considered panniers but I can't justify the cost of the brackets + cases for a once a fortnight use and I filter way too much on the way home from work, panniers would stop me doing that and piss me off to no end.

I used to use saddle bags when riding and carrying

I had a set with quite a good size, probably in the region of 25-30cm deep,  maybe 40cm high & wide

Anything small enough goes in the topbox for me. The RPK though is a million miles long so it has it's own rifle bag that I strap to my back. Despite riding though London repeatedly I haven't been shot dead by SO19 yet.

Sound advice paltala

Tyre pressure wont be an issue cz i weigh less than a packet of crisps lol but im deffo gna invest in a tankbag (forgot they exist)

I mentioned the rifle scabbard because it is not effecting riders movement and can mount on most bikes.

OBVIOUSLY you would want to wrap it up in a bag or something not just for concealment but also for weatherprotection.

Thing is regardless of what bag you use if you have an off its going to get spread up the road anyway sadly. And the police could argue both whichways regardless of bag. 

Im gna try modify a cheap rifle bag to do a scabbards job. Eventuallly with a sodecar i can just remount it to that 

Again though its all down to personal preference but our grandparents proved the scabbard works well on all terrains

Pegasus

• Supporters
7 hours ago, commanderpegasus420 said:

I mentioned the rifle scabbard because it is not effecting riders movement and can mount on most bikes.

OBVIOUSLY you would want to wrap it up in a bag or something not just for concealment but also for weatherprotection.

It's not totally obvious in the context of this:

On 25/10/2017 at 9:36 PM, commanderpegasus420 said:

In the future im planning to get a sidecar and mount a airsoft machine gun to it lol

Yes, I know what "lol" means, I'm just checking that you are joking.  Beat and response policing is stretched thin, but openly displaying something that looks like a firearm might not end that well.

Archived