asg 308. is it worth it?

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Im looking at the asg aw 308 l96 airsoft thingy.

It is in the right fps and features many metal parts.

Any owners who can give me the lowdown?

Im aware most snipers need a few upgrades and im willing to do so over time but as a base for me to get going with airsoft sniping will it do the job ok?

The site i will be going to is cqb based so range isnt too important for now.

Im interested in its overall accuracy and build quality mostly

Ive looked at several airsoft snipers and im stuck between the asg aw and the cyma cm.702

Any help on the subject is helpful 

But please. No aeg comments lol

Tah

Pegasus

I have a Well MB 01 (well , it was one upon a time...) which is basically identical. I terms of build there's probably not much between them, but the L96 types are larger rifles and a fair bit heavier courtesy of a couple of bloody great lumps of ballast glued into the stock.

On the plus side, the Well could be made to shoot pretty nicely with just a few free mods and a bit of work. It also has the advantages of a 90° trigger against the 45° item in the VSR clone, although this can be changed (at a cost). But if you're sticking with a lower power spring then the 45°trigger is fine. It just starts to suffer with heavier springs.

On balance, the VSR can probably ultimately be upgraded to a slightly better gun than the L96, but the L96 has a little more potential with free /cheap mods. The VSR is also shorter and lighter.

If you can get yourself to a shop, try them for size and see which one feels best to you, but on out of the box performance and quality there's not much to choose between them, unless you're going to shell out for TM VSR.

Also check if there are parts/upgrades available!

Some clones have their own proprietary parts which are a pain in the ass to find, given they're sold.

But an aluminium hop arm ( https://www.fire-support.co.uk/product/airsoft-pro-reinforced-well-mb-01-hop-up-lever ). £11

Drop of medium Loctite on the hop adjustment screw to stop it adjusting itself. Free

Flat hop the stock hop rubber and make a flat nub from a piece of pencil eraser. Polish the bore of the stock barrel and use dental floss to seal the rubber to the barrel. Free

Make barrel spacers from masking tape. £1

Fix any wobble between the outer barrel and the receiver with Teflon tape. Free

Strip the factory grease and put some decent PTFE grease in appropriate quantities in the right places. Free.

Clean up any moulding flash on the piston and adjust the piston head to locate the O ring correctly. Free.

Polish the cylinder bore. Free.

Carefully flatten and polish the trigger sear faces. Free.

Take the stock apart and dig out the ballast. Free

Shorten the inner barrel to around 420mm. Free if you know what you're doing with a hacksaw, cordless drill and a couple of needle files.

Feed it 0.36g BBs and it'll upset people who spent money on 'upgrade' parts.

52 minutes ago, Hangtight said:

But an aluminium hop arm ( https://www.fire-support.co.uk/product/airsoft-pro-reinforced-well-mb-01-hop-up-lever ). £11

Drop of medium Loctite on the hop adjustment screw to stop it adjusting itself. Free

Flat hop the stock hop rubber and make a flat nub from a piece of pencil eraser. Polish the bore of the stock barrel and use dental floss to seal the rubber to the barrel. Free

Make barrel spacers from masking tape. £1

Fix any wobble between the outer barrel and the receiver with Teflon tape. Free

Strip the factory grease and put some decent PTFE grease in appropriate quantities in the right places. Free.

Clean up any moulding flash on the piston and adjust the piston head to locate the O ring correctly. Free.

Polish the cylinder bore. Free.

Carefully flatten and polish the trigger sear faces. Free.

Take the stock apart and dig out the ballast. Free

Shorten the inner barrel to around 420mm. Free if you know what you're doing with a hacksaw, cordless drill and a couple of needle files.

Feed it 0.36g BBs and it'll upset people who spent money on 'upgrade' parts.

Hang tight 

Can i use electric tape instead of dental floss? 

Could you possibly pm me a more detailed explanation? And if possible step me through it in a few days when i have the gun??

Tah 

Pegasus

Dental floss is stronger than tape and provides a better seal.

Some of it is here...

http://www.airsoftsniperforum.com/54-l96-rifles/25905-cheapskate-l96-tuning.html

I'll try and find the pictures of the piston mods. I may even still have the modified bits somewhere. If I can find them they're yours for the postage.

Archived