face and eye protection advice needed

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Im looking to find advice on eye and face protection.

So far im looking at ebay goggles and possibly a neoprene mask to keep my gob ears and nose covered. 

What do other players advise goggles wise?

What face protection have you found works best?

And lastly how much did you pay?

Thx again 

Pegasus

• Head Moderator

Have a read of this previous topic, search term "protection"

its a very personal choice to be honest, no amount of advice, searching or youtube watching is as good as buying a eye/face combo and trying it out.

I have used ballistic glasses both tinted and yellowed, mesh goggles, full zombie face mask, helmet with attached eye/face mask, el cheapo strapped mesh face mask and even modified a mesh mash to a little bigger than my mouth to slip under a scarf and STILL want to try out some expensive fanned goggle type eye pro or a paintball style dye4 or similar.

Just buy what you can afford and try it out, you WILL end up with multiple versions before your happy with the fit and how it all works due to sweat, straps, mesh vs plastic, helmets vs hats, scarves vs masks, goggles vs glasses.

Stuff that looks great or someone else loves, may not be for you or for where/how you play.

A lot of kit/gun but more importantly protection and clothing choices comes from experience, until you buy something and use it you cannot discount it as an option and you wont know if it works for YOU!

Avoid the neoprene masks, they're just way too hot for Airsoft. My current favourite is the One Tigris folding mask. The mesh makes it feel nice and open to breathe through, while the softer material sides  are comfortable, cool enough and allow a good cheek weld to the gun.

These are the best value gloves I've come across yet. Very well made and comfortable for half the price of Mechanix...

https://www.bearvalleycompany.co.uk/product-page/exo-ironclad-tactical-black

I use them for work and so far they are holding up far better than some more expensive gloves, and they're tactile enough that I can tie my shoe laces without taking them off.

Yeah they have, but just buy sensibly. 

Make sure the eye pro is from a proper Airsoft retailer or matches up to the standard, there is a proper mark/number and rating its all supposed to have a quick search will grab that for you, just dont rock up with a pair of pound shop safety goggles or buy something off ebay dirt cheap and expect it to do the job. Think of the best style you feel will suit you and buy the best pair you can afford.

I will always recommend a mask of some sort. The strapped £10 mesh masks work just fine as a minimum. I saw a guy get a tooth chipped yesterday from quite a distance and all he had on was a pair of ballistic style glasses. He was super pissed off he took some face shots but I feel he should have had a mask on!!!

But then you have various full face ensembles that people swear by! again just make sure its quality rated gear and you should be fine!

Gloves are a good shout, knuckle or fingernail shots hurt like hell and an extra layer when indoors or out is a good shout to stop scrapes and minor boo boos to your hands.

I was gna go with some basic leather motorcycle gloves cz there thick leather (not armoured type)

And im not too worried about sweating its more for a full head protection but still allows full movement of the face and neck. I also think neoprene balaclava would be good shout for airsoft sniping as it wont hinder scoping.

The neoprene mask im interested in is full head and neck type with a single eye hole.  I honestly want to avoid the meshmask type setup as it looks cumbersome and ive heard fo peopels cheeks getting irritated from rubbing and what not. 

Eye pro yh i want whats good and actually gna work so reccommend away

Don't forget that your eye pro MUST stay on at all times outside the safe zone. With a mesh mask you can remove it between games without touching the eye pro. You won't be able to do that with the neoprene.

Thick leather gloves won't work with fiddly magazine catches and trying to retrieve magazines from wherever you stash them. ;)

9 minutes ago, commanderpegasus420 said:

I was gna go with some basic leather motorcycle gloves cz there thick leather (not armoured type)

And im not too worried about sweating its more for a full head protection but still allows full movement of the face and neck. I also think neoprene balaclava would be good shout for airsoft sniping as it wont hinder scoping.

The neoprene mask im interested in is full head and neck type with a single eye hole.  I honestly want to avoid the meshmask type setup as it looks cumbersome and ive heard fo peopels cheeks getting irritated from rubbing and what not. 

Eye pro yh i want whats good and actually gna work so reccommend away

iirc the onetigris mesh mask is not full mesh and has material for the cheek part for the exact reason you mentioned.

Ive had a gander at the onetigris. Even if i had that im gna need ear protection and a scarf for the neck etc. 

So hearing will be muffled and nevk still unprotected plus any gaps in between mesh and goggles.

I dno. The neoprene looks pretty good to me and im seriously considering it over the other options ive seen or read about so far

10 minutes ago, commanderpegasus420 said:

Ive had a gander at the onetigris. Even if i had that im gna need ear protection and a scarf for the neck etc. 

So hearing will be muffled and nevk still unprotected plus any gaps in between mesh and goggles.

I dno. The neoprene looks pretty good to me and im seriously considering it over the other options ive seen or read about so far

Ear protection = straps of something over your ears. Maybe even wear a beanie that'll keep you warm, protect your head a lil bit and you can put it over your ears. And for neck protection just get something with a collar for example my ubacs covers 90% of my neck. Even when you do get hit in the neck it's not that bad at all.

Scrim scarf sorts the neck coverage and is useful for breaking up the outline of your head, plus it's as warm or cool as you want it to be.

The combination of the One Tigris and a bush hat pretty much protects the ears while leaving your hearing unimpeded. Getting hit on the ear stings, and might raise a bit of a welt but that's it.

I will second the one tigris mask( or the cheap clone one bought) I also started useing advancer v12's. What a revelation that was compared to my old set up. The straps of the mask cover most of my ears there is a little exposed but not a lot. And used with those goggles I found I had good head movement, I also had pretty good cheek weld With my gun. And as for iritation to your face? Have a shave you hippy. Lol joking aside i found it not to bad at all on the cheeks

I swear by mesh goggles from Heroshark and a helmet. ears covered, I can scope my gun and it keeps me cool. I've taken a shotgun in the face from 2 feet away and didn't take any actual damage, (apart from damage to the under gusset region). 

I've tried pretty much every type of face and head combo but the above is what worked for me. As Albiscuit said its a very personal thing. 

Look at it this way, if you get it wrong you know about it after about 10 mins into your skirmish, you will be soaked in sweat and you will feel uncomfortable.

I recommend you put your set up on and wear it around the house, try to do some basic stuff while wearing it, if there is the slightest niggle like something rubbing on your skin, you instantly overheat or similar  this will be 10 times worse during a game when your struggling with straps, awkwardly pulling on stuff or trying to clear fogged lenses etc while people are shooting at you.  

I've found this out the hard way loads of times

Archived