Helmet mounted or Headband EarPro

BernieMac
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi folks,

I am looking at getting some ear pro and have my eyes set on the Opsmen Earmor M32's. The issue is that you can only get either the helmet mounted version or the headband version. Can anybody which is more comfortable/practical when it comes to the two? Obviously if I need to take off my lid for whatever reason, then I am without comms, but how comfortable is it to wear the headband version with a fast helmet? Does the convenience and comfort of the helmet mounted version out weight that of the comfort and convenience of the headband version allowing you to wear other headwear or even just take off the lid and still have access to your comms?

This is for any version of headsets, Sordins, Comtacs, etc....not just the M32's :)

Cheers

• Supporters

I'd say get the headband version and a set of FMA Peltor helmet adaptors, then you can do both. You might have to mod the headband cover to allow you to put the wire in and out easily but shouldn't be too hard.

I'd say headband, some helmets have voids in the padding to allow headbands to be used..

And you can always wear your ear pro without a helmet :)

• Supporters
8 hours ago, Skara said:

I'd say headband, some helmets have voids in the padding to allow headbands to be used..

And you can always wear your ear pro without a helmet :)

I would agree but the headband on the comms intended to be worn under a helmet are usually much more low profile than the one on the Earmor set.

6 hours ago, Lozart said:

I would agree but the headband on the comms intended to be worn under a helmet are usually much more low profile than the one on the Earmor set.

Have you already tried it then? I did like the idea of being able to flip the cups up when they got too hot or uncomfortable which is possible with the helmet mount. 

As for taking my helmet off in game it can and does happen. There might some quick hit and run missions that you might just want to grab a cap or boonie instead of a helmet...or even in the summer a helmet can get heavy and sweaty and fog up eye pro.

• Supporters
10 minutes ago, BernieMac said:

Have you already tried it then? I did like the idea of being able to flip the cups up when they got too hot or uncomfortable which is possible with the helmet mount. 

I've not tried it but looking at the product site the headband looks fairly thick. Not sure it would be comfortable under a helmet even if you did move the liner pads about to accomodate it. My work hardhat has peltors attached to it in a similar fashion as the helmet jobbers and it is really convenient!

• Supporters

Peltor actually make a neckband for these type of headsets. Basically a sprung wire band that goes behind your head (often with a little cloth strap over the top of your head). If you got a set of their cheap ear defenders set up like this you could swap it onto the Earmors and then you have the best of both worlds. Will fit comfortably under a helmet but stay on when you take the lid off! eg http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/ear-defenders/4496528/

End up with something along these lines: https://srstactical.com/peltor-comtac-iii-ach-tactical-headsets-neckband.html

38 minutes ago, Lozart said:

Peltor actually make a neckband for these type of headsets. Basically a sprung wire band that goes behind your head (often with a little cloth strap over the top of your head). If you got a set of their cheap ear defenders set up like this you could swap it onto the Earmors and then you have the best of both worlds. Will fit comfortably under a helmet but stay on when you take the lid off! eg http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/ear-defenders/4496528/

End up with something along these lines: https://srstactical.com/peltor-comtac-iii-ach-tactical-headsets-neckband.html

Interesting idea! I was shopping around to see if the FMA adapters fit the earmor headphones but nobody has tried it or willing to share if they did. The thing is that the earmor wire is stitched into the headband so you do have to tear it open to get the wire out, not ideal.

• Supporters

I spent several months trying different helmets looking for one that was comfy with peltors and sordins underneath.  Didn't find anything that didn't give me a headache after a couple of hours. 

I now have peltors mounted on the arc rails of my helmet, I would honestly prefer sordins on there but the hardware to mount them is extremely expensive for what it is. 

I've not really had any issues since I put them on the arc rails, a couple of times I've thought I could do with comms but no helmet, so I just got a fist mic for my radio. 

• Supporters
15 hours ago, BernieMac said:

Interesting idea! I was shopping around to see if the FMA adapters fit the earmor headphones but nobody has tried it or willing to share if they did. The thing is that the earmor wire is stitched into the headband so you do have to tear it open to get the wire out, not ideal.

Yeah, that is a bit of a sh*t design "feature".

They do a "modular cover" that velcros on as an add on but that just makes it even more bulky!

Archived