What weight BB should I buy?

commanderpegasus420
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi pegasus here. I have 0.7 joule electric pistol and in couple days will own an airsoft sniper said to be rated at 385fps with the downgrade spring.

Should i buy 2 different weight bbs or should i go for a common ground that both guns can use??

Really unsure as to what weights i should be getting.

Internet says 0.40+ for 400fps and 0.20s for leccy guns. 

Im not sure if there is a middle ground weight i can use or i have to buy 2 types.

Also which brand to go for? 

Ive seen multiple bb reviews on yt and so far have a choice of....

.geoffs precision bb

.novritsch bb

.g&g competition bb

Any help is much apreciated and will help me in my endeavours

Thx

Pegasus

• Supporters
41 minutes ago, commanderpegasus420 said:

I have 0.7 joule electric pistol

Not unless you've modified it.  Your CYMA will be lucky to hit 0.4J (210fps x 0.2g) as standard.  Mine is up at a mighty ~0.45J / 220 fps after spring upgrading, which is as high as I want to push it on the stock bushings, motor and battery.

I'm currently running 0.2g in mine, but only because I bought a bottle before I knew better.  It easily over-hops the 0.25g that I'm using in my AEG so I'll be going up to that on the pistol as well when I'm done with the 0.2s.  And I'm only running 0.25g because that's my indoor CQB site limit.

I can't help with the sniper, but I can't see any reason why you wouldn't use the heaviest bb that it will hop.  I'd hope it would do at least 0.4g, but you'll have to suck it and see.

6 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Not unless you've modified it.  Your CYMA will be lucky to hit 0.4J (210fps x 0.2g) as standard.  Mine is up at a mighty ~0.45J / 220 fps after spring upgrading, which is as high as I want to push it on the stock bushings, motor and battery.

Hey rogerborg so i should use the 0.20g bb for the pistol?

Or can i step it up to 0.30g and use the ammo in the sniper too?

You have the same gun as me so im relying on your advice pistol wise here

Tah

Pegasus

5 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

I'm currently running 0.2g in mine, but only because I bought a bottle before I knew better.  It easily over-hops the 0.25g that I'm using in my AEG so I'll be going up to that on the pistol as well when I'm done with the 0.2s.  And I'm only running 0.25g because that's my indoor CQB site limit.

I can't help with the sniper, but I can't see any reason why you wouldn't use the heaviest bb that it will hop.  I'd hope it would do at least 0.4g, but you'll have to suck it and see.

Personally, I'd advise that taking a really heavy BB on a sniper doesn't always help. Yes, it's more accurate, but also, I've had times where I've been trying to snipe someone and they've seen the BB coming, just ducked their head out the way, then popped back again, and that's even more frustrating than anything else. Go as heavy as you can lift, but don't go under 350fps for long shots also. If you have a brilliant hop system and a fantastically set up gun, might find that you could send a .43bb travelling for ages and super accurate, but at a snails pace and people will see it coming a mile off, sit down, make a cup of tea, dip a biscuit or two, wait for the BB to crawl over their heads, then get back up and start shooting back at you.

For this reason, even on a UK fully upgraded sniper, I wouldn't suggest going up to .43s, and only running .40s on a top end fps rifle. Here's a handy little table:

.20g FPS   Max BB Weight at 350fps

390-415    .25g

415-430    .28g

430-470    .30g

470-495    .36g

495-500    .40g

If you want to avoid this, you could try using black BBs - on the plus side, they can't see your BBs and essentially allow you to use heavier BBs with better accuracy. On the downside, you can't see your BBs either, so you won't really know for sure that they're not taking hits, or you're fractionally missing them.

If your sniper is pushing towards 400fps then go with 0.33- 0.36g BBs. That'll still give you enough velocity, but as long as the stock hop up and hop rubber can lift them properly it'll give you good range. White ones mean you can track them to the target, but your target can spot them incoming and that gives away you position. Black BBs are a good move if you're sure you'll hit what you're aiming at.

For the pistol try 0.25g. Any heavier and you'd be able to run faster, but the extra weight over 0.2g will give a really useful boost to range and accuracy.

ASG BBs are good value, and more importantly good consistent quality. Until your sniper is quite heavily upgraded then the Geoffs are going to be a bit of a waste. The Novritch BBs are a triumph of marketing guff and IMO overpriced for what they actually are. I've no experience with the G&G branded ones, but people seem to like them.

My choices of bb is coming from youtube reviews of them so i cant personally vouch for each brand. But from what i have seen the ones i have noted look well made and good quality when tested.

I will check out asg bb reviews later to see how they stack up to the g&g

Also i will probly be buying 2 weights and probly wont be going higher than .40g on the sniper more looking at the 30 mark from the info you guys have said so far

I use ASG Blaster 0.32g and Blaster Devil 0.36g in my 400fps DMR, and I can't see any difference against Geoffs 0.36g. Cost a load less though!

ASG 0.4g work fine in my 500fps sniper, but the 0.43g Geoffs are fractionally better.

• Supporters

For my AEG, I use ASG .25g. For a sniper firing above 450fps I wouldn't use anything lower than .36g.

• Supporters

Either 0.2g or 0.25g will work in the pistol.  As Ash notes, with 0.25g you'll be under 200fps and at some risk of people just stepping aside. 

I'd suggest buying some of each and trying them out, you'll get through them eventually.  Oh, if you intend to make heavy use of the pistol, then this extended mag might fit it.  It fits my CM.123 1911, but it'll come down to how the magazine release works on your 125.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/322718139352

7 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

Either 0.2g or 0.25g will work in the pistol.  As Ash notes, with 0.25g you'll be under 200fps and at some risk of people just stepping aside. 

I'd suggest buying some of each and trying them out, you'll get through them eventually.  Oh, if you intend to make heavy use of the pistol, then this extended mag might fit it.  It fits my CM.123 1911, but it'll come down to how the magazine release works on your 125.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/322718139352

Hey roger i was looking at those. Do other mags fit the cm125? Im not looking for extended clips just  basic ones as they wont fit in my gear. 

The glock  clips look like they have a rounded top end whereas mine has diagonal straight edges.

Pic invluded of mag

20171023_164908.jpg

On 22/10/2017 at 5:50 PM, Hangtight said:

If your sniper is pushing towards 400fps then go with 0.33- 0.36g BBs. That'll still give you enough velocity, but as long as the stock hop up and hop rubber can lift them properly it'll give you good range. White ones mean you can track them to the target, but your target can spot them incoming and that gives away you position. Black BBs are a good move if you're sure you'll hit what you're aiming at.

For the pistol try 0.25g. Any heavier and you'd be able to run faster, but the extra weight over 0.2g will give a really useful boost to range and accuracy.

ASG BBs are good value, and more importantly good consistent quality. Until your sniper is quite heavily upgraded then the Geoffs are going to be a bit of a waste. The Novritch BBs are a triumph of marketing guff and IMO overpriced for what they actually are. I've no experience with the G&G branded ones, but people seem to like them.

Best all rounders I've used are ASG Devils.

2 minutes ago, AshOnSnow said:

Best all rounders I've used are ASG Devils.

Ive seen reviews on youtube of quite a few bbs now 

Im going to use asg blasters for my aep and either g&g or geoffs for a sniper.

Anyone used novritsch bbs??

They look good quality but interested to know how they perform for the price

Just now, commanderpegasus420 said:

Ive seen reviews on youtube of quite a few bbs now 

Im going to use asg blasters for my aep and either g&g or geoffs for a sniper.

Anyone used novritsch bbs??

They look good quality but interested to know how they perform for the price

I've heard mixed reviews about novritsch stuff, not used them myself.

Used Geoffs on the sniper and they were good.

I started out with ASG Blaster, but the ASG Blaster Devils were definitely a cut above in consistency.

Ive only heard good reviews from youtube but im certain they got paid to do so lol. 

Asg have bubbles in but not a problem for a low power aep. 

Im really warming to the geoffs seen many reviews now and everyone praises them.

Those g&gs still look best quality to me though ill find a link to the vid i saw

I use the Devil 0.28g in my AEGs, and the Geoffs 0.43g in my sniper, but the ASG 0.4g are very nearly as good and less than 2/3 the price. For a stock sniper the ASG will be absolutely fine, but get yourself a 1000 of each and try them back to back. My money would be on no measurable difference until the gun is capable of exploiting the slightly higher quality of the Geoffs.

5 minutes ago, Hangtight said:

I use the Devil 0.28g in my AEGs, and the Geoffs 0.43g in my sniper, but the ASG 0.4g are very nearly as good and less than 2/3 the price. For a stock sniper the ASG will be absolutely fine, but get yourself a 1000 of each and try them back to back. My money would be on no measurable difference until the gun is capable of exploiting the slightly higher quality of the Geoffs.

How would i achieve such an exploit?

Im guessing the hopup?

What do i need to do in order to have that longer shot?

Ive seen a few hopup mods on youtube but still feel dumb to the actual process lol

Accuracy comes from consistency. So there are mods that ensure exactly the same amount of air is delivered in exactly the same way every time. Then there are mods to ensure that none of that air is lost and it all ends up pushing the BB out of the barrel. Hop mods and ammunition choice are to make sure exactly the same amount of backspin is applied to the BB every shot. The length of the barrel is matched to the cylinder volume and the weight of the BB to get the best efficiency. And finally you fit a barrel with the best internal finish so there are no variations there. Then you spit a little plastic ball out the end and the wind takes it wherever it fancies....

If you want to a bit about the physics behind Airsoft then...

http://mackila.com/airsoft/atp/

I use standard Blaster 0.2g for electric pistol (G18c).

Its only for close encounters and has full auto so good to keep costs down.

Currently using 0.28g 6ammo for AEG which seems good.  Anyone have any experience with them?

• Supporters

Nov BBs are not worth the money. £26 for 555. They'd have to be self correcting BBs to be worth it. Stick to Geoffs high precision or longbows.

• Supporters
17 hours ago, commanderpegasus420 said:

The glock  clips look like they have a rounded top end whereas mine has diagonal straight edges.

Pic invluded of mag

Ah, right, that looks different from my Glock-compatible mags.  I imagine they wouldn't fit your pistol.  I just lucked out with the CM.123, I had no idea that it would take the Glock mags.

Archived