Starting airsoft under 18

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I am looking to get into airsoft. I’m under 18 and have been to the same field 3 times in the last year and I’m going again in a few weeks. I’ll be 15 at Christmas which is when I want to start. Because I’m under 18, can a parent buy a fully black airsoft gun for me or does it have to be 51% non military colours for me to use it?

Thanks

Luke

• Supporters

Your parent would need a defence (UKARA, reenacting, film producer) to buy a non two tone RIF.

They could gift it to you.

You could use sniper concealment tape on game day and remove it before leaving the site.

Under 18 you cannot be sold an Airsoft gun whether it’s a RIF (fully black) or IF (two tone)

But you can be gifted one without the exchange of money (so your parents an purchase one and give it to you)

But unless they have their own Defence under the VCRA they cannot purchase a RIF

If you play regularly you still cannot gain your own Defence under the act until you are 18

27 minutes ago, Prisce said:

Your parent would need a defence (UKARA, reenacting, film producer) to buy a non two tone RIF.

They could gift it to you.

You could use sniper concealment tape on game day and remove it before leaving the site.

So if i buy a two tone could I spray paint it or tape it to make it black?

3 minutes ago, LukeD763 said:

So if i buy a two tone could I spray paint it or tape it to make it black?

You can’t legally buy two tone or realistic imitation firearm until you’re 18.

If you’re gifted a two tone, you can’t do anything permanent to make it a realistic colour

• Head Moderator

No.  An Imitation Firearm (IF) must be 51% bright colour paint.   The use of green weapon/sniper tape over a two-tone gun at a skirmish is permissible due to being a temporary modification purely for the game.  After the skirmish the tape is removed.

3 minutes ago, Jedi_Master said:

No.  An Imitation Firearm (IF) must be 51% bright colour paint.   The use of green weapon/sniper tape over a two-tone gun at a skirmish is permissible due to being a temporary modification purely for the game.  After the skirmish the tape is removed.

I’ve just been researching the BAC as another way instead of UKARA. If I get this and do all of the verification could someone buy a RIF using my membership and gift it to me?

Screenshot 2017-10-20 at 21.52.23

• Head Moderator
22 minutes ago, LukeD763 said:

I’ve just been researching the BAC as another way instead of UKARA. If I get this and do all of the verification could someone buy a RIF using my membership and gift it to me?

Screenshot 2017-10-20 at 21.52.23

No. They would not have a valid defence to purchase a RIF. 

You MUST be at least 18 years of age to join the BAC. http://britishairsoftclub.com/airsoft-players/

Do not try and circumvent the law, it is illegal to buy an IF or RIF if under 18.

Hello. :)

Just get your parent to buy you a nice two-tone gun for christmas, some of them dont look bad at all. And take it from someone who shoots RS i have seen plenty of two-tone RS guns so just because its two-tone dont necessarily mean its going to look like a toy, and colour will not effect function which should be your first priority when skirmishing, lol your not even notice the colour mate when your running around shooting. :ph34r:

ATB, Marc..

1 hour ago, Marc.RG1 said:

Hello. :)

Just get your parent to buy you a nice two-tone gun for christmas, some of them dont look bad at all. And take it from someone who shoots RS i have seen plenty of two-tone RS guns so just because its two-tone dont necessarily mean its going to look like a toy, and colour will not effect function which should be your first priority when skirmishing, lol your not even notice the colour mate when your running around shooting. :ph34r:

ATB, Marc..

The number of times I was at a shooting range and a woman came in with a pink pistol :lol:

Although I saw an episode of American Guns and they built up a white AR10 that just looked epic

27 minutes ago, AshOnSnow said:

The number of times I was at a shooting range and a woman came in with a pink pistol :lol:

Although I saw an episode of American Guns and they built up a white AR10 that just looked epic

Yeah same here lol.. Pink or blue.. 

Also the AR custom market is huge right now isn't it, I think I've seen on the net more coloured versions then black. 

In general with gun colour customisation it kind of make two tone gun rule a bit silly but it is what it is, and it could be worse.. 

Haha I am very tempted to make a two tone tan and white xdm compact, I've wanted a white gun for ages but not sure it will suit a xdm. Lol I'll probably find out.. 

Happy Shooting 

ATB Marc 

3 hours ago, Marc.RG1 said:

Also the AR custom market is huge right now isn't it, I think I've seen on the net more coloured versions then black. 

In general with gun colour customisation it kind of make two tone gun rule a bit silly but it is what it is, and it could be worse.. 

Haha I am very tempted to make a two tone tan and white xdm compact, I've wanted a white gun for ages but not sure it will suit a xdm. Lol I'll probably find out.. 

Happy Shooting 

ATB Marc 

Under the VCRA the bright colours for the >50% of the two tone are:

- Bright red

- Bright orange

- Bright blue

- Bright yellow

- Bright green

- Bright pink

- Bright purple

They make the difference between a Realistic Imitation Firearm and an Imitation Firearm

A bright pink real firearm is a firearm no matter what colour it is, and here would still fall into firearms legislation.

Note that America is a different country and it’s irrelevalnt about what you can do there.

They have orange tips on Airsoft guns, back in the old days in the USA, UK and the rest of the world an orange tip meant ‘this is a toy that does not shoot anything’, so if there was a pellet or dart then there was no orange tip.

Now the American orange tip means ‘this is a toy’ even when it can shoot something, the problem with that and Airsoft in America is an Airsoft gun has an orange tip saying ‘this is a toy’ complete with writing on the side saying ‘this is not a toy’

2 hours ago, Tommikka said:

Under the VCRA the bright colours for the >50% of the two tone are:

- Bright red

- Bright orange

- Bright blue

- Bright yellow

- Bright green

- Bright pink

- Bright purple

They make the difference between a Realistic Imitation Firearm and an Imitation Firearm

A bright pink real firearm is a firearm no matter what colour it is, and here would still fall into firearms legislation.

Note that America is a different country and it’s irrelevalnt about what you can do there.

They have orange tips on Airsoft guns, back in the old days in the USA, UK and the rest of the world an orange tip meant ‘this is a toy that does not shoot anything’, so if there was a pellet or dart then there was no orange tip.

Now the American orange tip means ‘this is a toy’ even when it can shoot something, the problem with that and Airsoft in America is an Airsoft gun has an orange tip saying ‘this is a toy’ complete with writing on the side saying ‘this is not a toy’

Yep your right, helpful bit of info that for people who don't know. :)

• Supporters

Indeed, white isn't one of the non-realistic colours, for reasons that escape me, and neither is gold.  I mention those because bbguns4less (for example) are selling guns in those colours without requiring a defence.  The risk of doing so is entirely on them, but it highlights that even people who do this for a living either don't know, or don't care about, the law.

• Head Moderator
On 21/10/2017 at 10:06 AM, Rogerborg said:

Indeed, white isn't one of the non-realistic colours, for reasons that escape me, and neither is gold. 

Because white is snow camouflage, and gold plating of real guns is done by drugs cartels and bling dicks.

34 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Indeed, white isn't one of the non-realistic colours, for reasons that escape me, and neither is gold.  I mention those because bbguns4less (for example) are selling guns in those colours without requiring a defence.  The risk of doing so is entirely on them, but it highlights that even people who do this for a living either don't know, or don't care about, the law.

lol I'm surprised bbguns4less and justbbguns don't just put the guns in a coloured box and say, 'there you go that's two-tone now' no defence is needed.. 

• Supporters

Swaps?  Daughter, I mean, my 14 year old son is professing disinterest in airsoft.  I think he's defective, I need to make a warranty claim on him. :(

Out of interest, why two tone?

Hi mate. As a fellow under 18 player I would suggest bringing one of your parents along to a game day if you really can’t stand having a two tone. Just make sure you keep the receipts and maybe get a photo or two of them and 80% of people would take that as a valid defence.

2 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

Swaps?  Daughter, I mean, my 14 year old son is professing disinterest in airsoft.  I think he's defective, I need to make a warranty claim on him. :(

Out of interest, why two tone?

Her favourite colour, not because it’s two tone, she just likes Tiffany blue ha ha

10 hours ago, rocketdogbert said:

My daughters guns, she’s 13 :)

IWNve7V.jpg

It's good that you can share Shooting with your little girl, her glock looks cool I like the colours, my little girl is also 13 I have offered to take her Shooting loads of times but she's not interested in guns unfortunately, she's a typical gamer child, lol but she gets that from her parents too.. 

ATB Marc 

2 hours ago, Marc.RG1 said:

It's good that you can share Shooting with your little girl, her glock looks cool I like the colours, my little girl is also 13 I have offered to take her Shooting loads of times but she's not interested in guns unfortunately, she's a typical gamer child, lol but she gets that from her parents too.. 

ATB Marc 

It is, she only comes to the range, but my partner and my dad come along (he’s 81, has a modded TM Hi-Capa) so it’s a family affair and loads of fun.

She does like hosing, hence the Battleax mag. I’m in the process of fixing an AA-12 (new FET coming from Japan) and I strongly suspect that will become her new favourite. I may need to find a source of cheaper bio BB’s lol

On 21/10/2017 at 0:18 AM, Marc.RG1 said:

Happy Shooting 

ATB Marc 

I think white and tan only really works in camo patterns as snow colour schemes. Flat, they tend to resemble a custard cream more than anything else.

• Head Moderator

@LukeD763

On 20/10/2017 at 9:55 PM, Jedi_Master said:

Do not try and circumvent the law, it is illegal to buy an IF or RIF if under 18.

To clarify the law.  It is illegal for a minor (under 18 years old) to purchase an airsoft gun, and for someone to sell to a gun to a minor. 

An adult can buy a two-tone gun (Imitation Firearm - IF).  An adult needs a valid defence to buy a Realistic Imitation Firearm - RIF.  Their defence is normally membership of an airsoft site, and use UKARA registration (a scheme set up by retailers to help them when selling a RIF).

Archived