Prescription glasses and airsoft

Fat-jd
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

On 10/30/2017 at 8:30 AM, milly said:

I've been wearing glasses for many years now, so having the issue of finding proper eye protection for airsoft was expected. I tried a couple of full face bits but I couldn't aim at all with them on. 

I bought some goggles from Amazon (type in "Interchangeable Multi Lens Kit Air Flow Tactical Vented Safety Airsoft Goggles with 3 Lens" and they will come up). I have only once had an issue with fogging but I was running so much that it's understandable. I wear them for woodland and CQB games and they certainly do the job very well! I have quite big glasses too and they fit over with absolutely no issue. 

Make sure you let the lenses warm up on cold days. When I first put them on it can seem like they are fogging but it's just a difference in temperature and sorts itself within a couple of minutes. 

As they are quite bulky, I have also got a half face mesh mask and a helmet to make it look a little better, and obviously add protection. 15093520313031811559109.thumb.jpg.6609338a03f2dab1ed3b72d9b9aa798a.jpg15093521237271339580671.thumb.jpg.5a8631dc3c12a54535c19559f28487d2.jpg

Having looked on amazon at these I highly doubt they reach the standard rating needed to be used on 99% of fields. Had some guy at the site I work at the other day that was adamant that the pilot visor style flip down lens on his helmet was ballistics rated because it said so on the advert on eBay.... I wouldn't let him play unless he had approved glasses on underneath so he agreed and used a pair of Bolle we have on site.... visor shattered the first game...

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/15/2017 at 10:32 AM, jcheeseright said:

Chinese knock off eyepro = blindness waiting to happen! 

Speaking of blindness some site insurance companies are now mandating that eyepro is worn in the safezone (has to be on at all times) due to that kid that shot his mate in the eye with his mates sniper rifle (apparently he is trying to sue! not sure what planet hes living on trying to sue for his own stupidity) two sites I've been to now that use the same insurance company have this rule in place.

On 07/11/2017 at 1:57 PM, djben9 said:

have you got any safety ratings for the lenses....paranoid you see!!!

also, assuming thats just a reflection of something on the lens in the first pic??!!

was reading reviews on amazon, i dont yet need glasses, but a guy we play with does, i think he wears some kind of Bolle goggle?? so i'll pass this on to him. Do they fit ok or do you have to have slim glasses etc.....

How are they if you run around a bit, do they start to fog or do you coat them with something?

I've had no issue with taking many hits to them. I don't know specifics though. In the first picture, he mark in the middle is part of the helmet behind it. Lenses don't have a scratch on them despite lots of use. 

I have quite large glasses and they fit perfectly over the top. Don't cause any pressure. Very comfortable to wear over the top of my glasses. 

I don't have an issue with fogging as long as let the lenses warm up. So I make sure I wear them when I'm setting everything up. I may look silly but if the lenses are warm then I find them much less likely to fog. 

I play full days of airsoft in woodland and in CQB and have taken many hits to the goggles from various distances including very close up, and don't have a scratch or any issues with fogging. I have used anti fog spray once but had almost the same result when I just warmed up the lenses so I gave up with it. 

12 minutes ago, milly said:

I don't know specifics though. In the first picture, he mark in the middle is part of the helmet behind it. Lenses don't have a scratch on them despite lots of use. 

I play full days of airsoft in woodland and in CQB and have taken many hits to the goggles from various distances including very close up, and don't have a scratch

Just because it hasn't happened yet doesn't mean it wont happen. I can't see the rating listed on the lenses which each pair of my glasses has (and most I have seen also have - some are listed elsewhere like the frames for example) some copies or cheap eyepro stamp this in just because they want to sell the product (which again happens with a lot of tat off eBay and Amazon.

• Supporters
8 hours ago, clumpyedge said:

that kid that shot himself in the eye with his mates sniper rifle (apparently he is trying to sue! not sure what planet hes living on trying to sue for his own stupidity)

What, where, when?

I need a new eye test in any case so I also looked at variofocal eye pro. 

I assume industrial type eye pro is acceptable on airsoft sites? Come to that, would my present M88 knock off helmet with visor be? I've never actually played with it.

Initially I really liked the look of Bollé Safety IRIS-S RX but it occurs to me that having the prescription lenses inside the main glasses makes it more likely to mist up. Anyone had any experience? 

1 hour ago, Defender90 said:

I need a new eye test in any case so I also looked at variofocal eye pro. 

I assume industrial type eye pro is acceptable on airsoft sites? Come to that, would my present M88 knock off helmet with visor be? I've never actually played with it.

Initially I really liked the look of Bollé Safety IRIS-S RX but it occurs to me that having the prescription lenses inside the main glasses makes it more likely to mist up. Anyone had any experience? 

Take note of the safety documentation for the Bolle iris s rx:

F. Low energy impact, resists a 6 mm, 0.86 g ball at 45 m/s

4metres per second  is 147 feet per second

Thats not going to give you much protection

2 hours ago, Tommikka said:

Take note of the safety documentation for the Bolle iris s rx:

F. Low energy impact, resists a 6 mm, 0.86 g ball at 45 m/s

4metres per second  is 147 feet per second

Thats not going to give you much protection

Yes it "resists a 6 mm, 0.86 g ball at 45 m/s" which seems a hell of a lot hotter than anything I'm likely to encounter on a UK field surely? 

That's with a .86! So surely it'd double with a .43? So with .20s it would chrono, what? 600 fps? 

On 11/15/2017 at 7:50 PM, Rogerborg said:

What, where, when?

This was a while ago now (sometime at the start of the year, I believe there was a thread on it) basically kid-1 bought his sniper rifle in from the gaming area with a BB still in the chamber, Kid-2 grabs kid-1's sniper rifle to have a look at it and I presume play about with it in the safe zone...

From the version of events I have been told by numerous site owners who it had been passed on to from the originating site, Kid-2 lined the rifle up at kid-3's face (why you would do this anyway is beyond me) then fired the gun (remembering its chambered) and kid-3 got shot... good bye vision (not sure on FPS of the gun before you ask). The same insurance company that is used on the site I regularly play has now said that until the legal action has been completed against the (from what I'm gathering) original site and kid-2 everyone has to wear their safety glasses/masks upon entering the safezone (from cars etc)

• Moderators
13 minutes ago, clumpyedge said:

This was a while ago now (sometime at the start of the year, I believe there was a thread on it) basically kid-1 bought his sniper rifle in from the gaming area with a BB still in the chamber, Kid-2 grabs kid-1's sniper rifle to have a look at it and I presume play about with it in the safe zone...

From the version of events I have been told by numerous site owners who it had been passed on to from the originating site, Kid-2 lined the rifle up at kid-3's face (why you would do this anyway is beyond me) then fired the gun (remembering its chambered) and kid-3 got shot... good bye vision (not sure on FPS of the gun before you ask). The same insurance company that is used on the site I regularly play has now said that until the legal action has been completed against the (from what I'm gathering) original site and kid-2 everyone has to wear their safety glasses/masks upon entering the safezone (from cars etc)

tbh its not a bad thing to do this if it keeps sites open and their insurance valid........even though we all take precautions there are still a few lets are say reckless people out there....the sites i play at there is no dry firing in the car park, testing batteries etc. BUT people still do it.....it only takes one moment of madness

1 hour ago, djben9 said:

tbh its not a bad thing to do this if it keeps sites open and their insurance valid........even though we all take precautions there are still a few lets are say reckless people out there....the sites i play at there is no dry firing in the car park, testing batteries etc. BUT people still do it.....it only takes one moment of madness

Agreed, the sites I play ask you to clear guns and show mags are out way before entering the safezone but it only takes one person to not clear their weapon when things like this can happen. I tend to wear my glasses as soon as I start to unpack my gear - not saying I don't trust other people but I wouldn't put it past someone to have tested their gun at home and not cleared it and then dry fire it (although all sites I play say no dry firing as well)

4 hours ago, clumpyedge said:

The problem there is truly crap weapons handling skills, comes from people having zero real steel experience. There should be a focus on basic safety knowledge* not faffing around with eye pro in the "safe zone", that is a distraction from the actual problem. Typical insurance companies.

Treat every gun as if it's loaded, even when it's not.

Never point the gun at something you don't intend to shoot.

Keep the gun pointed in a safe direction.

Keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot.
Keep the gun unloaded until ready to use.

8 minutes ago, Defender90 said:

The problem there is truly crap weapons handling skills, comes from people having zero real steel experience. There should be a focus on basic safety knowledge* not faffing around with eye pro in the "safe zone", that is a distraction from the actual problem. Typical insurance companies.

Treat every gun as if it's loaded even when it's not.

Unfortunately and I hate to say it but i see it more and more with not only younger people but also older people who should know better.

11 hours ago, Defender90 said:

Yes it "resists a 6 mm, 0.86 g ball at 45 m/s" which seems a hell of a lot hotter than anything I'm likely to encounter on a UK field surely? 

That's with a .86! So surely it'd double with a .43? So with .20s it would chrono, what? 600 fps? 

The beginners guide here just gives the overall safety standard, but not specifics

Below however they recommend the highest level A for 2.5 joules (the actual size then loses relevance as it’s the energy in the B.B., albeit that a lighter B.B. at a given velocity has less energy then a heavier BB)

As level F is a heavier B.B. at a lower velocity it’s aguable but not necessarily right that the tested level is sufficient (someone could do the physics calculations of the heavier  B.B. at the lower velocity to work out what energy that is, and then work back to whether that covers / exceeds the energy of a recreational airsoft BB

https://airsoftnation.co.uk/eye-pro/

As I come from paintball I have a bias against airsoft glasses and would prefer goggle based eye protection (even if not full face mask) and I have also seen a Marshall take a B.B. into his glasses without them being dislodged, luckily in pushing between skin and glasses the energy was absorbed.

For safety purposes I would always expect maximum tolerances must exceed the actual velocities in use

Bolle have glasses available to higher standards so I would always recommend avoiding the entry level standard

47 minutes ago, clumpyedge said:

Unfortunately and I hate to say it but i see it more and more with not only younger people but also older people who should know better.

Sadly true, modern Brits are usually complete muppets when it comes to guns. Personally I would have the afore mentioned basic safety rules bullet pointed up on a large board in the safe area.

1 hour ago, Defender90 said:

Treat every gun as if it's loaded, even when it's not.

Sadly the incident as described shows that no matter the policy and common sense, accidents and stupidity do happen

It seems a valid measure by the insurers to require a second level of protection with eye protection in the safe zone

Not ideal for someone like me who could be wearing a full face set of paintball goggles, but resonable for eye protection glasses 

Checking for magazine removal on game exit, ideally accompanied by a witnessed ‘last shot’ to discharge should be sufficient to keep the safe area safe (though we don’t know the status of guns in bags as people arrive in the morning)

In paintball we have the secondary options of disconnecting / switching off air (which is inconclusive as there can still be one shots worth of air in the solenoid - even with self purge systems) and the more reliable barrel blocking of a plug or condom.  These are not absolute guarantees still, and I’ve seen a number of barrel condoms shot off by the unwitting 

19 minutes ago, Tommikka said:

In paintball we have the secondary options of disconnecting / switching off air (which is inconclusive as there can still be one shots worth of air in the solenoid - even with self purge systems) and the more reliable barrel blocking of a plug or condom.  These are not absolute guarantees still, and I’ve seen a number of barrel condoms shot off by the unwitting 

Funny you mention this... I keep the barrel caps off all my guns and store all my guns with them on and they stay on unless testing said guns or just before playing. Yes, maybe this is a little over the top but i know myself how important gun safety is (shooting real steel) so it just kind of comes over into airsoft for me as well.

The site I play at most (for skirmishing) is also looking into the barrel cap/condom (as you call it) also as a way of mitigating the need for eye pro in the safezone. luckily its one of the only places I've played I've ever seen the no dry firing rule heavily enforced.

This is worthy of a thread of it's own, airsoft could be a very useful training tool for teaching basic gun handling. After all, if you don't know gun safety you literally don't know the first thing about guns!

Back on topic: Trying to find out if those Bolle would be suitable for Urban Assault, they're being cautious and are like "Bring them in and we'll tell you." I'm not risking splashing out on prescription lensed safety goggles on the off chance. This is a chicken and egg situation.

2 hours ago, Defender90 said:

This is worthy of a thread of it's own, airsoft could be a very useful training tool for teaching basic gun handling. After all, if you don't know gun safety you literally don't know the first thing about guns!

Back on topic: Trying to find out if those Bolle would be suitable for Urban Assault, they're being cautious and are like "Bring them in and we'll tell you." I'm not risking splashing out on prescription lensed safety goggles on the off chance. This is a chicken and egg situation.

I’ve just created a seperate topic for the safe zone safety & gun discipline discussion 

https://airsoft-forums.uk/index.php?/topic/38733-safe-zone-safety/

9 hours ago, clumpyedge said:

We get this story at every safety briefing. Apparently the scream was "bloodcurdling".

3 hours ago, clumpyedge said:

Funny you mention this... I keep the barrel caps off all my guns and store all my guns with them on and they stay on unless testing said guns or just before playing. Yes, maybe this is a little over the top but i know myself how important gun safety is (shooting real steel) so it just kind of comes over into airsoft for me as well.

The site I play at most (for skirmishing) is also looking into the barrel cap/condom (as you call it) also as a way of mitigating the need for eye pro in the safezone. luckily its one of the only places I've played I've ever seen the no dry firing rule heavily enforced.

I don't put barrel caps on any of my guns. But then again, I treat them with the same safety approach as I was taught with real firearms.

Archived