Prescription glasses and airsoft

Fat-jd
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Unfortunately I've got to that age where I need glasses to do everything now with most things this ain't a problem but with airsoft I find it a huge problem and after spending a small fortune of my money that lives in my wife's bank account I'm no closer to finding a solution. I've tried a full face mask which I just didn't like. ess goggles which I can't wear my glasses under. A pair of bolle goggles that cost a small fortune and I may as well put a bucket on my head would of been able to see more so totally useless. And some mesh goggles that i cant sight up with any help on this ?

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I brought some big foot TAC goggles from A2 supplies, I can wear my glasses with them no problems. Played the mall all day with no fogging issues. Definitely worth a try, I’ve been really impressed with them and they only cost £10.

be worth noting I did coat lenses of both glasses and googles with nuprol clear before hand 

when i first started playing i used a mask that would fit over my glasses but they looked ugly and i had a lot of fog issues - i quickly moved to contact lenses. I didnt like the idea of touching ym eye etc but quickly got used to it. Now i can wear whatever eye protection i like! :D

In my experience, it's not the Bolle goggles that are expensive - it's the lenses that you get made to fit the insert they include.

My last pair was £35 for the goggles, and £70 for the insert lenses from Vision Express.

My newest pair is £35/£65 respectively. Still, they do the job nicely.

• Supporters

Contact lenses could be a viable option. I used to use inserts but they looked pretty daft and could be expensive depending on what brand of eye wear you own. Now when I play I just use 1 day contacts. They're great and you just chuck them in the bin when you're finished. Your opticians will give you some for free as a trial, so give it a go. 

22 hours ago, Apharmd said:

In my experience, it's not the Bolle goggles that are expensive - it's the lenses that you get made to fit the insert they include.

My last pair was £35 for the goggles, and £70 for the insert lenses from Vision Express.

My newest pair is £35/£65 respectively. Still, they do the job nicely.

Think that's expensive have you ever priced up a pair of Oakley's?!

My go-to solutions has been to use an ESS profile frame with a custom cut mesh, and the Rx insert that goes with them. Slightly expensive solution, but worthwhile if you play enough. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've been wearing glasses for many years now, so having the issue of finding proper eye protection for airsoft was expected. I tried a couple of full face bits but I couldn't aim at all with them on. 

I bought some goggles from Amazon (type in "Interchangeable Multi Lens Kit Air Flow Tactical Vented Safety Airsoft Goggles with 3 Lens" and they will come up). I have only once had an issue with fogging but I was running so much that it's understandable. I wear them for woodland and CQB games and they certainly do the job very well! I have quite big glasses too and they fit over with absolutely no issue. 

Make sure you let the lenses warm up on cold days. When I first put them on it can seem like they are fogging but it's just a difference in temperature and sorts itself within a couple of minutes. 

As they are quite bulky, I have also got a half face mesh mask and a helmet to make it look a little better, and obviously add protection. 15093520313031811559109.thumb.jpg.6609338a03f2dab1ed3b72d9b9aa798a.jpg15093521237271339580671.thumb.jpg.5a8631dc3c12a54535c19559f28487d2.jpg

I played the weekend with my first game in contacts. It was amazing. I didn’t find them annoying or awkward and to be honest I’m willing to bet the irritation you might feel will be practically dwarfed by the thrill of airsoft and you won’t notice until you are on a quiet period/rest or afterwards maybe on the drive home.

I loved it, contacts for life. Also as an added bonus, a 30day pack is like £50 for both eyes. So if you only wear them for airsoft you’ve basically paid for the entire year.

Just use prescription eye pro. Sorted.

I can't stand things touching my eyeballs so I've got a cheap helmet with visor, it's the least worst solution thus far but it isn't so easy to get a cheek weld of course! 

However I'm intrigued by the battery operated fan goggles but that's some serious money, I'm wondering how that compares with prescription lenses for goggles. If I could avoid the awful misting up issues I'd just stick with my Bolles over my Oakley specs.

Hmmmmm, well I’m buggerd. I’m short sighted, have worn contacts for 35 years, now I need reading glasses.

So I can either see my gun to adjust it, or see what I’m shooting at, but not both :)

I have glasses and I use Valken V-Tac Sierra Goggles. They fit over your glasses without being too bulky on your head as well :)

• Moderators
On 30/10/2017 at 8:30 AM, milly said:

I've been wearing glasses for many years now, so having the issue of finding proper eye protection for airsoft was expected. I tried a couple of full face bits but I couldn't aim at all with them on. 

Make sure you let the lenses warm up on cold days. When I first put them on it can seem like they are fogging but it's just a difference in temperature and sorts itself within a couple of minutes. 

have you got any safety ratings for the lenses....paranoid you see!!!

also, assuming thats just a reflection of something on the lens in the first pic??!!

was reading reviews on amazon, i dont yet need glasses, but a guy we play with does, i think he wears some kind of Bolle goggle?? so i'll pass this on to him. Do they fit ok or do you have to have slim glasses etc.....

How are they if you run around a bit, do they start to fog or do you coat them with something?

On 11/6/2017 at 7:10 PM, rocketdogbert said:

Hmmmmm, well I’m buggerd. I’m short sighted, have worn contacts for 35 years, now I need reading glasses.

So I can either see my gun to adjust it, or see what I’m shooting at, but not both :)

Variofocals work for me, originally got them for driving as I need to read the instruments as well as the road ahead.

6 minutes ago, Defender90 said:

Variofocals work for me, originally got them for driving as I need to read the instruments as well as the road ahead.

Vari focal contacts?

15 hours ago, rocketdogbert said:

Vari focal contacts?

:o OMG that's actually a thing! I had no idea. 

But I can't stand things touching my eyeballs. So I got varifocal glasses, a two for one deal with reading glasses thrown in, but I hardly use them as the variofocals do everything. I went to Boots, expensive but great service. I got Oakley frames as I wanted something comfortable that stays planted on my face all day. 

My real problem is goggles that will fit over my glasses but don't mist up. Don't like the helmet and visor tbh, can't really aim down the sights. 

1 hour ago, Defender90 said:

:o OMG that's actually a thing! I had no idea. 

But I can't stand things touching my eyeballs. So I got varifocal glasses, a two for one deal with reading glasses thrown in, but I hardly use them as the variofocals do everything. I went to Boots, expensive but great service. I got Oakley frames as I wanted something comfortable that stays planted on my face all day. 

My real problem is goggles that will fit over my glasses but don't mist up. Don't like the helmet and visor tbh, can't really aim down the sights. 

Vision Express did my airsoft ballistic glasses for me to my prescription for £55. I'm sure you could do something similar.

Bolle 'Pilot' are the lowest profile goggles that will fit over specs I've  found in 10 years of playing and swapping eyepro.

I have drilled extra vent holes in them too which help further with fogging.

The only thing that stops fogging is airflow, so you either need to keep moving or get some fan assist goggs, anti fog doesn't work if you're sweating your butt off in a bush!

On 10/11/2017 at 8:11 PM, Davegolf said:

Bolle 'Pilot' are the lowest profile goggles that will fit over specs I've  found in 10 years of playing and swapping eyepro.

I have drilled extra vent holes in them too which help further with fogging.

The only thing that stops fogging is airflow, so you either need to keep moving or get some fan assist goggs, anti fog doesn't work if you're sweating your butt off in a bush!

These are what I use - Bolle too.

bolle-tactical-raider-kit-ballistic-aris

They come with prescription inserts that fit between the outer frame and a vented inner frame to maintain airflow (I had a couple of fogging issues so I cut out some extra gaps which sorted it), plus a choice of smoke, hi contrast or clear ballistic lenses. Honestly, for airsoft, I really haven't seen a better option out there if you want to be able to take prescription lenses onto the field.

I was offered contact lenses recently on a free trial from specsavers, not sure if I'd like them for airsofting though as I have the slight paranoia one will drop out while i'm running.

Alternatively, http://www.safetyspecs.co.uk/ seems to stock just about every type of safety goggles out there. I work in a construction environment a lot so trying to convince my work to buy me a pair ;)

I bought a pair of ESS ICE in the end, with the clip in frame, and made half reading glasses fit.

They’re a bit like bi-focals now, with my contacts in. Perfect for target shooting and gun fiddling :)

13 hours ago, Vracktal said:

I was offered contact lenses recently on a free trial from specsavers, not sure if I'd like them for airsofting though as I have the slight paranoia one will drop out while i'm running.

Alternatively, http://www.safetyspecs.co.uk/ seems to stock just about every type of safety goggles out there. I work in a construction environment a lot so trying to convince my work to buy me a pair ;)

Trouble with contacts for airsoft is they're a nightmare if you get a bit of dirt in your eye, or one falls out. It's a matter of trying to painfully feel your way back to the safe zone before you can remove your eye pro and try to fiddle. Plus, airsoft sites aren't renowned for having nice clean bathrooms with shiny mirrors so you can see what you're doing in a sanitary environment!

Archived