uk sucks for airsoft

HateBate
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I'm sorry, this is probably going to come off like a rant but I'm starting to get pissed off living in the UK. So to start off I can only go to a game every 3 months because I'm 15 and only have 1 person to go with that is my brother who lives 300 miles away from me so that pisses me off. another thing is I have to wait 3 years to get a rif because my brother won't gift me a rif that cost £400 for an obvious reason, and I cant pay him to buy it for me because I don't want to get in trouble. also, you can buy a deactivated firearm that looks like a real gun because it is, you can also buy an airgun that once again looks like a real gun that does serious harm but you just have to fill in a form WTF. But god forbid a toy that shoots plastic bbs. oh, another thing a f*cking baby can buy a plastic gun that looks like the real thing.

EDIT* i remembered another thing, nearly everything i look for is sold out I'm not even exaggerating.

• Supporters

Summed up in a short as a rule of thumb for UK law....

u18's are not by law deemed to be legally responsible - end of

u18's can't even get a mobile phone contract themselves, obtain credit, purchase cigarettes vote etc.....

Don't shoot me, it is just they way it is

age of consent is 16 but you gotta be 18 to watch an adult film

18 to buy cigarettes but you can smoke them at age 16 (the old age to buy cigarettes)

you can join army at age of 16 with parents consent, same as marry - though 16 is allowed in Scotland

Voting age is sometimes referred to as age of morality but your beef isn't to do with age of morality/voting

But more to do with the age of legally responsibility in a court of law, but is often used as argument for u18's

Scotland allows 16+ to vote in local elections and allowed them to vote in Indy1 but General Elections is still 18+ to vote - plus legal responsibility is still 18 in Scotland, they have a legal capacity age of 16

(typical confusion on top of more confusion ffs)

If you can't be deemed to be responsible for legal decisions for yourself, then how can you be responsible to cast a vote that may effect everybody - but let's leave politics & crap aside and get back to subject...

We have some weird exceptions to the general rule of adulthood is 18

But the general rule is the age of legal responsibility is 18

Sorry if it sucks but that is the way it is I'm afraid

• Supporters

In what way is it the fault of the United Kingdom that your brother lives far away from you?

The VCRA is a very badly implemented law, that much is obvious to people who really know about it, I've said that since it came in.  Also fully in agreement that the different laws for airguns and crossbows etc make zero sense compared to RIFs, but getting annoyed at the fact the sheeple have no common sense achieves only one thing.. annoying yourself.  Quicker you learn to ignore the bullshit you can't change, the less stress you'll have in your life.

But many of the other problems you face are specific to being a minor, the UK does not 'suck' for airsoft; we can have/have had various things like Glocks, BFGs and TAG rounds that were previously nigh on impossible to obtain in the US for example.  We've got a good amount of players, pretty good amount of sites and a fair few solid and reliable retailers.  I find myself more than able to enjoy the hobby in a way I'm satisfied with, you will as well in a few years most likely and that time will fly by.

• Supporters

Oh and don't think of emigrating to Australia.....

Airsoft is banned over there afaik

Germany have lamer fps limits for full auto AEG's ???

USA have orange tip guns etc....

UK airsoft is quite balanced boarding pretty good imho

Though Ireland & others do not have defense/ukara/regulation like UK

But overall I think UK has done quite well to appease & set a sensible balanced example imho

• Supporters

Yep, could be a lot worse.  In France stuff like gas masks and armour vests (and other gear) come under some similar laws to firearms with various weird restrictions.   Germany's FPS limits are suuuuuper low, no full auto, DMRs/BA rifles are pointless, they're not even allowed lasers or lights attached to airsoft guns from what I've heard german players saying.  Airsoft came close to basically being banned here when the VCRA was first coming in, if it weren't for some hard fought political rallying the whole scene would've pretty much died in 06.

• Mostly Retired Moderators

Jeez, like you're the only kid who was ever 15 years old. 

Enjoy your youth while you've got it kid, instead of wasting it getting wound up on this stuff.

Airsoft in the UK is ace and once you graduate your teenage years and get your hands on a UKARA you'll love it too.

Also, what's stopping a parent taking you airsofting? They don't have to play... I've seen plenty of patents loitering in the safe zone while their kids play games. It does mean they won't get a defense of their own to buy you guns (sorry gift you guns... ) for Christmas though.

If you only get one game every three months, you should be happy, your last (and first) game was in august according to your post history.. you've got a game next month to look forward to! Chin up!

I'm 16 and I'm loving airsoft! 

Watching videos about American airsoft I think it looks far inferior to British airsoft due to speed soft and people being less likely to call hits.

Ive had nothing but good experiences from airsoft in the UK.

IMG_4457.PNG

I always loved the daft age limits. 16 to join the army... 18 to buy call of duty lol

for the most part, i find UK airsoft rather well rounded. The FPS limits are reasonable (Although i wouldn't mind a little higher). For the most part the player base is decent. I'd end up killing one of those whiny Americans.. And UKARA, while being incredibly flawed, doesn't really impede any real airsofter over the age of 18. Assuming money isn't the issue, just get a 2 tone. Nobody will think any less of you for playing with one.

• Supporters
38 minutes ago, Aengus said:

I was expecting an American speedsofter not an angry 12 year old to be honest. If you’re not mature enough to understand why these laws are here then you’re obviously not quite matured enough for airsoft as a whole.

I'm 34 and I don't understand why the VCRA (Violent Crime Reduction Act) regulates airsoft guns. 

9 minutes ago, jcheeseright said:

I'm 34 and I don't understand why the VCRA (Violent Crime Reduction Act) regulates airsoft guns. 

Whilst I would say it’s not effective at all I can see why it exists and what it was trying to achieve and I would hope you do to.

• Supporters

Irrespective of the crappy VCRA having little in common with airsoft, this thread sucks, the op's "issues" with airsoft in the uk are all his own, boohoo my Bruv lives 300 miles away & won't gift me a gun, boohoo I'm only 15 & can't buy my own rif, winge whine etc etc.

maybe your Bruv, who knows you better than us, thinks your not ready for the responsibility, he'll I just read your post & came to the same conclusion.

it is what it is, live with it & accept it like the rest of us, you won't change anything, just enjoy the game & bide your time, you may meet players who are sympathetic to your plight & might be able to "help" in some way, but unfortunately rants, even if their not meant to sound like rants, especially when it's about VCRA failings, or the laws an ass stuff, just puts you, & sometimes the rest of us as fellow players, in a bad light.

lets not forget that these forums can be viewed by absolutely anybody, including peeps who may not support airsoft.

imho.

mark

19 hours ago, HateBate said:

I'm sorry, this is probably going to come off like a rant but I'm starting to get pissed off living in the UK. So to start off I can only go to a game every 3 months because I'm 15 and only have 1 person to go with that is my brother who lives 300 miles away from me so that pisses me off. another thing is I have to wait 3 years to get a rif because my brother won't gift me a rif that cost £400 for an obvious reason, and I cant pay him to buy it for me because I don't want to get in trouble. also, you can buy a deactivated firearm that looks like a real gun because it is, you can also buy an airgun that once again looks like a real gun that does serious harm but you just have to fill in a form WTF. But god forbid a toy that shoots plastic bbs. oh, another thing a f*cking baby can buy a plastic gun that looks like the real thing.

EDIT* i remembered another thing, nearly everything i look for is sold out I'm not even exaggerating.

What & where are these real looking plastic guns that babies can buy?  Sounds like a RIF which is illegal to sell under the VCRA unless for uses listed in the VCRA defences.

(If you know of a shop selling them then either give them a polite word to clear up their ignorance or call Trading Standards.  Trading Standards tend to be very interested in the type of shop that sells dodgy cheap imports not to UK/European standards and in breach of legislation.

The other guns you describe fall within firearms legislation (even if unlicenced)

The VCRA is pretty much an anti chav law building on from anti-social behaviour legislation, and also deals with a variety of 'violent'  offences including alcohol & football related violence & disorder, sexual offences including loopholes between the sexual offences acts of 1952 & 2003.  It also deals with the issue of chavs etc posing with toy BB guns and getting involved with firearms police - it still happens that firearms police deal with youths flashing around BB guns.

You're young - why is it that you can only play once every 3 months?  Is it the cost, opportunity to play etc?  Is your brother the only person you can go with for those reasons or the only person you currently know whos interested?

()    , football weapons

• Moderators
16 hours ago, sp00n said:

People should read the OP’s name :lol:

and his recent posts....gone from aiming for a '2T' to nothing....

• Supporters

The VCRA act isn't perfect, but it's the system we have. At least it's not an outright ban like in Australia. Even if you can only attend a game or two per year that's still better than nothing. Yeah, I had the same issues with transport and owning RIFs when I was U18 but I still enjoyed the time I had when I did get the chance. Deal with it. 

• Supporters

image.jpg

Archived