Airsoft For Noobs - which gun and upgrades?

markg81
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So, I'm getting together with a group on a regular basis. we have a selection of guns, the kind you buy after googling best airsoft gun and reading a few reviews.

A couple of guys are buying their own as we start to get more competitive... queue my turn and the usual question!

*** 1 ***

Which gun?

I'm after, Assault Rifle style, Electric. Good range, accuracy and FPS.

A bit of searching has me looking at gun like Krytac Trident CRB MK2

https://proairsoftsupplies.co.uk/en/weapons/rifles/m4-variants/krytac-trident-crb-mk2#/color-olive_drab

I'm not panicking about a budget (within reason) so £300ish is ok.

*** 2 ***

Raiils? Prometheus inner barrels? G&G bucking?

Whhat mods can I buy or should I buy? Again, I have no knowledge and am keen to get good gear but dont understand a lot of terms and the actual benefits compared to a stock weapon!

AHEAD OF TIME, THANKS GUYS, ALL HELP APPRECIATED!!!!!!

• Supporters

Beats me, I just run a cheapo CYMA for CQB.  However, I expect those who do know might ask:

1) If this is primary for open field use, or CQB?

2) What you're using at the moment, and what issues you're having with it?

• Supporters

Have a quick search of the forums mate, most of your questions have been answered many times. 

To sum it up quickly, Krytac are great guns out of the box. Don't upgrade it until you find something it's lacking. 

Search the forums, you'll find you don't actually have to spend a lot of money to get a great gun, half the experienced players here probably have a cheap gun that performs better than some expensive guns. 

Youll learn as you go along, I always compare to cars, it's like buying your first motor and decided that a Ferrari is the car for you because it's what you'd like in the long term, but you may find that it's to low and you actually prefer the styling on a Mustang.

Take your time. You won't regret it.

1 hour ago, Prisce said:

Ferrari is the car for you because it's what you'd like in the long term, but you may find that it's to low and you actually prefer the styling on a Mustang.

Take your time. You won't regret it.

Also a bit like learning mechanics. Start with the likes of a ford fiesta. So when you get your Farrari  its not all a complete mystery. Also if it all goes pete tong although still a masive kick in the nuts its not the end of the world. But it is well worth looking around at reviews  because even some of the best guns can have nasty habits. 

• Supporters

Buying the right airsoft gun is very much like making love to a beautiful woman.

Spend as little as possible, grease her gearbox, slam your magazine in, then flip her to full auto.

• Supporters

Lol.

Anyway. Red dot sight, mid caps, at least 0.25g BBs and spending an hour or two on the range setting everything up and practising a few basic drills. Then some kind of rig to hold spare mags and a drop pouch.

The chosen rifle is good, don't touch it.

Edit: meant to write red dot.

37 minutes ago, Samurai said:

Lol.

Anyway. Red to sight, mid caps, at least 0.25g BBs and spending an hour or two on the range setting everything up and practising a few basic drills. Then some kind of rig to hold spare mags and a drop pouch.

The chosen rifle is good, don't touch it.

Ok.

Had to Google a couple of those but I think I get it.

Red dot sight.. have played COD so I think I know what that is lol

Mid capacity mag.. ok

.25g ammo, think that the upper range of recommended so that's cool

Good drop pouch/mag kit and practice.

Sound good!!

One final question, Prometheus barrel or stock? What's the diffs?

Theta nothing wrong with the stock barrel.

Barrels are the last things to 'upgrade'. The only time you might notice a slight improvement is once everything else is top notch, or if the original barrel is dire.

1 hour ago, Rogerborg said:

Buying the right airsoft gun is very much like making love to a beautiful woman.

Spend as little as possible, grease her gearbox, slam your magazine in, then flip her to full auto.

I wish I'd thought of this analogy. Joking aside one of the best bits of advice I got was don't go poking around with the gear box untill it goes wrong..... or you really know what your doing in there. 

It's all about the hop.

Provided the gearbox is solid, and gives you your site limit then there is no need to add upgrades to it. Rate of fire might not be the best, but provided it can put a BB on target it doesn't matter.

If it's durability you are after, Solid gearbox bushings shimmed correctly, and a metal spring guide will take a stock gearbox and give it a much longer life between services. And there is no shame in sending it out to a tech to have those modifications done. Kytac do this already, They give you bearings not bushings but that is no problem, and the quick change spring will have a metal guide. So these mods would only apply to a cheaper gun.

The hop itself stock the M4 hop is decent enough you don't need a new unit, but sending it out to be flat hopped and running no nub buckings will give you better accuracy. The Prometheus Flat Hop Bucking is a good place to start with this.

Archived