Safest way to buy

Dredd
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hey guys I can't seem to find a topic on this and could do with some friendly advice as I've been stung in the past, I'm am currently in negotiations with two guys about rifs there selling ( not on this forum), one is on pre-fired and the other weaponcrates, I have looked into things the best I can and have read that Paypal if paying for goods and services doesn't actually cover you if buying a rif, so I've ten read the best way to cover yourself is by using a credit card, so I've added a credit card to my PayPal in which I can then use to cover myself, now here's the thing I find tricky to understand the guy on pre-fired has said he will post the rif which I already had a bad feeling him asking me to send payment friends and family ( how can he be my friend never met him :) so my main concern is this do I send a courier myself to pick the package up or trust him not to send me an empty box or even what had happened to me before send me something to a different address so it shows it's signed for but not by me, it's a mine field out there unfortunately not just for buyers but also for sellers to any advice  would be greatful.

scott

• Supporters

Having just been tidily ripped off by a seller with positive ratings on (currently down) zeroin, I'd suggest:

1) Not paying F&F. Offer to pay the extra couple of pounds in fees.  If they insist on F&F, they're either planning to scam you, or they're too lazy to set up a seller account which is also a bad sign. See also sellers who haven't bothered to get all the details of their item to hand before they advertise it, or who haven't planned which courier they'll use.

2) Only deal with sellers who can provide recent positive referees, and then actively check them.

3) The matey-matier they are, the scammy-scammier they are.

I'll be approaching any future deals with considerably more scepticism and caution.

Don’t do ‘friends and family’ it’s a fee free method because it doesn’t have the escrow broker protection guarantee (though airsoft rifs are not in their terms).

You don’t have to tell PayPal it’s a gun, and if it doesn’t arrive you don’t have to tell them it’s a gun.   Just go straight to the dispute process if it goes wrong and say you have not received your item

Either walk away because the alarm bells are ringing or pay a little extra to clear the fees

Use the reverse fee calculator below to work out how much it will cost you for the seller to receive the agreed amount 

http://www.clothnappytree.com/ppcalculator/

Also note that using your credit card does not protect you via paypal.

They are a 3rd party and by giving the money to the seller then they have fulfilled the task so Credit card protection doesn’t apply to the seller being dodgy if you have not paid them with the card

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/PayPal-Section75

I recently (August) bought two RIF’s through WeaponCrates, both sellers messed me around so I raised disputes (I didnt pay f&f) got my money back with no questions asked, but it did take about a month.

Neither RIF had even been posted !

F&F disables paypals fees so it's not a case of being lazy,more of being greedy,personaly I skip over any sales add that says paypal F&F,if you chose to use the system pay the fees.Sellers should factor the fees into the price.

The last deal I did on here recently the buyer automaticaly gifted me the payment,I didn't receive his address,etc,I contacted him for his addy and also warned him not to do that in future.

Also wether or not you as the buyer mentions it's a rif all the dodgey seller has to do is say something like he knew the rif was damaged,that would kill negotiations dead.

Sales within all forums are based a lot on trust,hence the need for good honest feedback.

Don't be put off by all this negativity 99.9% of the people on these forums are good honest people..good luck..

• Supporters

Agree with PayPal Goods and service, but just want to add I have purchased and sold many guns(if I have remembered correctly 12) through this forum and a few others, I have never once had a problem.

Stick to the age old sayings;

If it's too good to be true, it probably is.

If it doesn't feel right, walk away.

or just go and collect it.

Feedback can be faked, what I do when selling is take a photo of the parcel before I send it ,with the address on, send this to the buyer, send a photo of the postage receipt as well. 

Its sad we have to go through these lengths but it is the world we live in.

Ok guys thanks for you advice but can you answer me this plz is it best we as buyers organise a courier or leave it to the sellers? I know not all sellers are bad or buyers there's a lot of good honest people out there it's just there's a lot of rodents too, I always like to meet in person but one of these is in scotland and the other in Kent to much traveling from York :) 

The seller is responsible for the safe delivery of items,or proof that it was despatched at least.

It's not quite so easy to arrange collection and there is always a chance that it will get damaged which would negate the sellers responsibility.

If I arrange a sale and the buyer arranges a courier and the item gets damaged in transit the buyer is responsible to address it as the couriers company will not speak to someone who is not contracted to them.

Keep it easy and avoid over complicating it,as Prisce I've not had any issues..YET...and I buy and sell for friends on here and the other one..when it's working...:P

32 minutes ago, EDcase said:

I'd advise to get a screen grab of the advert so you can send it to Paypal if there is a dispute over 'damaged' or other claims afterwards.

Would paypal realise it was a Rif then?

We're worrying the lad,if it feels ok do it,if not walk.Cover all the bases as much as possible but don't over analyse it..it'll be cool...:ph34r:

4 minutes ago, snuff said:

Would paypal realise it was a Rif then?

We're worrying the lad,if it feels ok do it,if not walk.Cover all the bases as much as possible but don't over analyse it..it'll be cool...:ph34r:

Ah yeah, that's no good then.  Maybe blank out the picture ;)

• Supporters

That was long ago. Now paypal covers airsoft.

Related items that you can buy and sell using PayPal include paintball guns, blank guns, and air-soft guns, as long as such transactions are legal in the applicable jurisdiction.

https://www.paypal.com/us/selfhelp/article/what-is-paypal’s-policy-on-transactions-that-involve-firearms-faq585

I think that relates more stateside tbh,be great if they covered us though.

Stun gun sales are allowed for U.S. residents, but only if the transaction is permitted by law in both the buyer's and seller's jurisdictions. (PayPal account holders outside the U.S. can’t buy or sell stun guns.) Before they complete a sale, U.S. sellers must make sure that the transaction is legal in both locations.

Related items that you can buy and sell using PayPal include paintball guns, blank guns, and air-soft guns, as long as such transactions are legal in the applicable jurisdiction. All of these items must display the markings required by law, must not be convertible to shoot a lethal projectile, and can’t include blank ammunition.

Hey guys have any of you ever bought a rif from weaponcrates using 'Shield' the rif I'm after has this which says the seller won't get the money until I sign for the rif, but how do I link that to paying by Paypal?

10 minutes ago, Dredd said:

Hey guys have any of you ever bought a rif from weaponcrates using 'Shield' the rif I'm after has this which says the seller won't get the money until I sign for the rif, but how do I link that to paying by Paypal?

Just pay with PayPal, internationally acknowledged and if the seller won’t accept PayPal, don’t buy, easy.

Whats the link btw?

• Head Moderator
11 minutes ago, Dredd said:

Hey guys have any of you ever bought a rif from weaponcrates using 'Shield' 

@Castle may be able to help answer this.

I've never even seem weaponcrates before,as for Shield..is it a free service?

Just go via the normal route that we all use Paypal,you are adding too many layers allowing more trip ups to occur.

If Paypal are accepting us weirdo's then there's even less to worry about.

11 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

Having just been tidily ripped off by a seller with positive ratings on (currently down) zeroin, I'd suggest:

1) Not paying F&F. Offer to pay the extra couple of pounds in fees.  If they insist on F&F, they're either planning to scam you, or they're too lazy to set up a seller account which is also a bad sign. See also sellers who haven't bothered to get all the details of their item to hand before they advertise it, or who haven't planned which courier they'll use.

2) Only deal with sellers who can provide recent positive referees, and then actively check them.

3) The matey-matier they are, the scammy-scammier they are.

I'll be approaching any future deals with considerably more scepticism and caution.

One thing I'll just pop in here with from the other perspective - I sold quite a large job lot over paypal for £600, but only about £530 showed through - it transpires they'd selected the "pay for goods and services" and also they'd sent me the payment somehow through USD and back again - so it had gone through 2 currency conversions, plus a 3.4% fee, which I'd ended up stuck with - I'd already negotiated way down lower than I really wanted to go, so the extra £70 was a kick in the teeth.

I'm always happy to sell to someone using the goods and services, but it can also make things awkward if I end up receiving a lot less than I was expecting, or if they end up paying a lot more than they were expecting, depending on where fees are going.

I found that this is an even bigger problem when people have signed up to paypal.com instead of paypal.co.uk unknowingly, as it seems to incur a reciprocal USD conversion fee as well.

• Supporters
12 hours ago, Dredd said:

Hey guys have any of you ever bought a rif from weaponcrates using 'Shield'

That site looks like it was written by a monkey wearing a pair of clown shoes on its hands.  And it got the Short Bus to monkey school.

"When you buy this item, your [sic] protected."

But I can't see any details on how.  I had to click on "Buy" on some random item (no sorting, no filtering, no indication even on how old listings are so good luck finding what you're looking for).  Right, it adds £2.something in fees to a £140 listing.

"After checkout, the seller will have 7 days to send the items, on the 7th day if you do not open a dispute the money is released to the seller."

OK, so it looks like an escrow system that charges a fee.  Fair enough, but your [sic] putting your trust in a completely anonymous service that doesn't see the need to provide any form of real life name or contact information.  How is that any better than J. Random Seller?

rocketdogbert implied that he got his money back after disputing, but in the event that weaponcrates did dick you over, against whom would you claim?

It's a nice idea, but the implementation is truly awful.  It's almost like whomever is behind it has gone out of their way to make it look dodgy as all get-out.

54 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

rocketdogbert implied that he got his money back after disputing, but in the event that weaponcrates did dick you over, against whom would you claim?

I got my money back through PayPal 

Hey guys I bought a rif off weaponscrates last night when I tried to go through ' Shield' it asked me to put in my billing details which I did about 10 times and it kept saying ' whoops something has gone wrong' so in the end I sent the money goods and services through Paypal, hopefully the rif will turn up and shield will turn itself to unshielded 

Archived