The joy of tuning :)

stig
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I've always loved to take things apart, rebuild them etc. so Airsoft is an ideal - if new discipline for me.

I have a TM G3/SG1 (my first airsoft gun in fact - bought 2nd hand) which is was a good, reliable pew-pew, but after chrono'ing it the other week - a mere 205fps showed its age.

As I have other AEGs in the 300-350fps range and, given the style of the gun, DMR seemed the logical choice.

So I set about sourcing a Systema FTK-11 - but they are thin on the ground and pretty pricey. I also had concerns about using a stock gearbox casing with a monster spring and besides, my site limit is 425fps for DMR locked to semi, so a 150 would have ben overkill. Which led me to Guardena. An ITK-33 kit looked to do the job, though I ordered a 130spring in case the 120 with the kit wasn't quite up to the job.

So, with tools, youtube vids and teardown guides in hand, I set to it. I'm prett mechanically minded (have scratch built 5 cars) so how hard can it be?! :)

The key is patience. Tolerances in a gearbox are very tight and time spent shimming well is time well spent for performance  and reliability. Starting with the motor to pinion and then onwards, a logical approach is required. I radiused the gearbox casing etc. and applied pretty much every tech tip out there - even emploting feeler guages for gear shimming.

I replaced the barrel with a 'Tomtac' stainless 6.02mm. Never heard of them - but as chrono showed, it was a wise choice (and only £23!).

Anyway, without boring you with a complete teardown and rebuild, it was with some trepidation that I first pulled the trigger...

But needn't have worried! Semi and then full auto were smooth as butter - happy days.

So then to the numbers. The chrono doesn't lie and I was expecting about 375-385 with the 120 spring.

The reality - 410-417 with a 10 shot average of 409 :) Over the moon with this!

Even with the stock TM bucking and hop it shoots like a laser and I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of it! I've racked up plenty of kills with it at 205fps - now it's a monster!

So, the reason for the post? If you're

mechanically inclined, don't be scared to have a go. I'm not trying to discourage use of techs as they are professionals, but it's very rewarding doing the work yourself and getting the results you wanted. Perhaps I got lucky, but I spent a good 6 hours on the upgrade and hopefully that will paid dividends. We shall see :)

Its all about spending 5 hours grinding a steel trigger sear down to the perfect shape so it fits into a trigger box it wasnt designed for then to make it a good trigger pull...

I'll stick to building computers way less silicone oil grease and metal scrapings to be covered in. :lol:

5 hours ago, rocketdogbert said:

Me too, love a bit of fettling

I've got a couple of mods planned for the Bolt too John :)

Nice to see this, a lot of people in the field were like "don't touch it until it breaks," I can see what they mean and I understand they are just trying to save me some time and frustration and keep me enjoying the sport.

but I, like my father before me, almost enjoy the mechanical side as much as the actual event. I rebuilt the engine of a jap v6 twin turbo and honestly loved every painstaking moment of it. So with airsoft I'm gonna do what you did. Take my time, read the resources and do everything to my gun to make it the best it can possibly be.

My mate has bought the same gun as I have, so it will be interesting to compare a before and after. I'm planning on Shimming, AOE, R-Hop, stretch the piston o-ring and polishing everything. I'm confident. I've gone through the pain of straightening valves on a 24v V6. It can't possibly require any more patience than that!!

Dont mean to pee on the parade but you said full auto worked and its firing over 370 fps, isnt that now illegal?

I know people will say about the risk of being caught is low but lets face it no one wants to be the 1st!

James1989: He's planning to make it semi only when the mods are complete.  Just testing full auto to see if it worked smoothly.

Well done Stig.  You can do mine next ;)

I think the advice of having a pro do the work is a general reply for people who are very new and want to tinker without knowing what's involved.

Anyone who is mechanically inclined, interested to learn and patient can do this kind of stuff.

Hi EDcase,

Maybe so I only comment because I really dont want any troubpe for the sport or a fellow forum user! Have a good weekend and happy pewwing!

3 hours ago, James1989 said:

Hi EDcase,

Maybe so I only comment because I really dont want any troubpe for the sport or a fellow forum user! Have a good weekend and happy pewwing!

Good call

6 hours ago, James1989 said:

Dont mean to pee on the parade but you said full auto worked and its firing over 370 fps, isnt that now illegal?

I know people will say about the risk of being caught is low but lets face it no one wants to be the 1st!

No worries and you're right to point it out. But I've now installed a lockout to the selector (mini allen screw) so no more full auto :) Definitely DMR only and safely within the site limit for it.

Archived