Jump to content
Bloom1

Way to drop fps.

Recommended Posts

Im looking to play at The Mall in Reading but my gun is shooting 350fps when the sight only allows up to 340fps. Was wondering whats the best way i can drop about 10 fps without spending alot of money?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could try increasing hop which will slow em down a bit.

Bit of a pain if you don't have a chrono to test.

 

Other than that I think its a spring change or chop :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If this is an AEG you're talking about, a spring change will swap some FPS for ROF. A widebore barrel will lower FPS overall.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, AshOnSnow said:

If this is an AEG you're talking about, a spring change will swap some FPS for ROF. A widebore barrel will lower FPS overall.

Ye it is an AEG XD Have you got any recommendations i have a stock Ares AM-0013. And would a widebore barrel effect range?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Bloom1 said:

Ye it is an AEG XD Have you got any recommendations i have a stock Ares AM-0013. And would a widebore barrel effect range?

 

Your range comes from a good hop. The hop is what spins the BB allowing it to travel further.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

AshOnSnow: Would a widebore affect fps that much?

 

Bloom1: Less fps will affect range but shouldn't be noticeable for CQB. Hop Magnus effect compensates for drop.

 

(ARMA is my favourite game :lol:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, EDcase said:

AshOnSnow: Would a widebore affect fps that much?

 

Bloom1: Of course if fps comes down then it will affect range but shouldn't be a problem for CQB.

 

(ARMA is my favourite game :lol:)

 

Just as a tightbore pushes the BB faster by trapping more pressure behind it, a widebore lets it travel slower by allowing more air to pass around it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, AshOnSnow said:

 

Just as a tightbore pushes the BB faster by trapping more pressure behind it, a widebore lets it travel slower by allowing more air to pass around it.

Yes, but I wounder how much it will affect fps as the difference with bore sizes are very small.

Would be interesting to know...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, EDcase said:

 

(ARMA is my favourite game :lol:)

Same had it for 4 years and have 4000 hours in the game  XD

And im guessing the best way to change the fps will be a new spring that i could change between depending on what site i go to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, when I shifted from a standard 6.08mm to a 6.03mm barrel, my FPS went from 330 to 355. How much of a change it makes depends on a lot of factors, including your air seal efficiency, cylinder capacity and barrel length.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Park the gun pre-cocked overnight - could help wear or fade the spring

Still hit n miss

 

find a thin piece of material...

inner tube (rubber so durable)

thin card - not very durable long term

very thin plastic - I'm talking about 0.25mm max most likely

 

cut, punch a 9mm hole in material, trim up to create a washer/shim

(the hop unit is about 10mm but you want a snug fit - rubber is easier)

fit to hop unit between hop & box/nozzle

(you can try a few strips of electrical tape at front of box but more of a pita)

basically you are trying to push the hop a whisker forward and allow the bucking lips to blow a tiny bit under compression

It does work sometimes but you can't push it forward a lot or mag won't clip/align & some seals blow easier than others

It is a bodge, but it can work

 

Failing that - most likely you need to open up box and change spring or stuff

 

TBH you need to aim for 335fps for Mall as 340 is absolute maxand your chrono may vary from the Mall's one

It is their chrono and their rules on their site as so much is in ya face up close

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it's a brand new , or nearly new gun, some say sending a few mags' worth of BBs through it before chronoing it will lower the FPS.

Not sure you'd get -10FPS out of it though - and I have no evidence to back this up  - just hear-say from various sites. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

had this issue with a new gun. Ran 3 mags through it - Lowered it slightly. Then got told to alter hop to full extent for chrono - worked a treat to under site fps. Altered again before games. Not ideal but worked until the spring was fully bedded into the gun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, coreyb10 said:

had this issue with a new gun. Ran 3 mags through it - Lowered it slightly. Then got told to alter hop to full extent for chrono - worked a treat to under site fps. Altered again before games. Not ideal but worked until the spring was fully bedded into the gun.

In other words you cheated the chrono so you could shoot hot which makes you a bit of a (insert expletive here) really.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not when the marshal actually advised me to do it as I only took 1 rifle that day.......I'm 47 years old and not the whatever you had in mind to call me. Grow up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, coreyb10 said:

Not when the marshal actually advised me to do it as I only took 1 rifle that day.......I'm 47 years old and not the whatever you had in mind to call me. Grow up.

What has age got to do with cheating chrono? As for growing up I am a grown up that's why I know cheating is bad and running a hot gun is cheating and unfair to the other players. What you did is no different to using heavier ammo to chrono, a fully applied hop can make 20fps difference.

 

If I a marshall told you to do that then he should be sacked and banned from site also. Wearing a high vis isn't a licence to rewrite the rules. At 47yrs old you should know that doing it because he said so is wrong. What is we always tell our children "would you step infront of a bus if someone told you to?" 

 

Can you not see the irony in your reply?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/8/2017 at 10:52 AM, coreyb10 said:

had this issue with a new gun. Ran 3 mags through it - Lowered it slightly. Then got told to alter hop to full extent for chrono - worked a treat to under site fps. Altered again before games. Not ideal but worked until the spring was fully bedded into the gun.

 

On 10/8/2017 at 2:05 PM, ImTriggerHappy said:

In other words you cheated the chrono so you could shoot hot which makes you a bit of a (insert expletive here) really.

 

I know of several (certainly two, both of which are large and professionally ran sites) where I have seen marshals say things just like this to people when their guns are a tad hot. 

What you've said here I feel is a tad harsh.

The guy took one rifle that day, and clearly if those tweaks dropped the FPS to a "site legal limit", it can't have been much over the limit in the first place.

 

In my opinion if a guy turns up to join in the fun (and that's what it is... FUN - too many people take airsoft way too seriously IMO) only to get sent home for being +5/10FPS over the limit, the guy sending him home is actually the (insert expletive here).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, callumbagshaw said:

 

 

I know of several (certainly two, both of which are large and professionally ran sites) where I have seen marshals say things just like this to people when their guns are a tad hot. 

What you've said here I feel is a tad harsh.

The guy took one rifle that day, and clearly if those tweaks dropped the FPS to a "site legal limit", it can't have been much over the limit in the first place.

 

In my opinion if a guy turns up to join in the fun (and that's what it is... FUN - too many people take airsoft way too seriously IMO) only to get sent home for being +5/10FPS over the limit, the guy sending him home is actually the (insert expletive here).

I see where you are coming from but it's a case of where do you stop. The rules are a line in the sand so it's fair for everyone. If you turn up to a site with a hot gun then it's your fault so either rent or go home but don't cheat the chrono.

 

It's sport based on honesty and integrity and that encompasses your whole day not just the bits that suit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

I see where you are coming from but it's a case of where do you stop. The rules are a line in the sand so it's fair for everyone. If you turn up to a site with a hot gun then it's your fault so either rent or go home but don't cheat the chrono.

 

It's sport based on honesty and integrity and that encompasses your whole day not just the bits that suit.

Yeah I empathize with both sides of the argument, I think it's just a case of applying common sense where appropriate.

 

"Cheating chrono" sounds worse that it is though i think - I shot my KJW KC02 through two separate chronos two times (4 shots total) using HPA (for consistency) at the last site I went to - all the readings were different with FPS ranging from 303 -> 320 - so if the guy's rifle was only reading 5 or 10 FPS above then the same question of "where do you stop" can be asked again, if you chrono it 10 times and it shoots hot 9 times but shoots under limit on the 10th time - does the site just see that as a paying customer who complies with the health and safety rules of the site, and let them play? normally, in my experience - yes. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As someone who runs the chrono I can only tell that it's hard on a personal level, but a line must be drawn. I can't start bending the rules because then the ones who were making the effort to play by them will feel cheated. And when a little cheating has no consequence, then that will happen the next time and the next, resulting that this person will always play with a hot rifle. Then it starts spreading, because if he does it, it's only fair that I do it too. And I don't take all his hits because he is a cheater and he wouldn't have been able to hit me with a proper fps gun, etc.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah agreed - in theory.

What I'm getting at is that in practice this happens quite regularly -  otherwise sites would turn away a lot of money.

 

I think one problem the sport/game faces is that you can buy a half decent pistol for the same price as a half decent chrono - give that decision to a new player and the thing they spend their cash on is obvious.... then when they turn up to a game day with a hot gun (unknowingly) - it puts the guys who run the site in a tricky situation. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×