Another Newbie

TarikMerryface
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hello everyone.

Playing game 5 on Sunday. Based out of Weston-Super-Mare and so I'm alternating between Spartan and Bristol Airsoft (Old Crown Court House) until I get my UKARA license.

I will be asking A LOT of questions in the next few weeks, although I PROMISE I will look through the forum first to make sure I don't repeat a thread, although my very first one may very well seem like it.

Happy Skirmishing to all

• Supporters

Hi Tarik, you're a bit ahead of me - I'm just doing game 3 on Sunday.  It bites you pretty fast though, doesn't it? ;)

Are you renting, or have you cracked and bought any two-tones yet?

• Head Moderator

Welcome :). Great, you will find lots of useful information with a bit of searching.

17 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

Hi Tarik, you're a bit ahead of me - I'm just doing game 3 on Sunday.  It bites you pretty fast though, doesn't it? ;)

Are you renting, or have you cracked and bought any two-tones yet?

It really does. :P It's something I've wanted to do for ages, pretty much since I left OTC. I bought a WE G17 Gen4 which is kept on site. Essentially I paid for it but I can't take it home until I get an UKARA membership. I play at two fields. the G17 is at the CQC place I play at and I rent at Spartan, a fantastuc woodlands gaming area.

Edit: License to Membership. I have a feeling saying that may peeve people somehwat from the following comment

1 hour ago, Jedi_Master said:

Welcome :). Great, you will find lots of useful information with a bit of searching.

Thanks. Yeah, I must have looked at 100s of AEG rifles and every time I find an interesting one it raises more questions.

• Supporters

If we're being pedantic... mmm, pedantry... I assume that you are renting a WE G17 Gen4 for a low, low down payment of its full value, plus £0 per use.

Because if you've bought it, then it follows that someone must have sold it to you, and they should of course be executed by firing squad (.46g BBs) forthwith.

1 hour ago, Rogerborg said:

Because if you've bought it, then it follows that someone must have sold it to you, and they should of course be executed by firing squad (.46g BBs) forthwith.

I know I'm new to the sport, but I did my research thoroughly (looking at the Police and Crimes Act 2017 etc) before I even started playing, and I continue to research even now. A great summary of the word "defence" is epxplained in this article:

http://www.ai-mag.com/blog/2014/09/25/buying-your-first-airsoft-gun-in-the-uk/?v=79cba1185463

Due to the manner in which this defense was granted and the disparate and varied circumstances under which a defense is given, the airsoft industry was asked to be “self policing” and as such, there is no centralised scheme or membership system that is fully recognised by authorities across the board.

In order to purchase or sell a RIF from a retailer, you must be able to convince them that you are a legitimate airsofter eligible for a defense under law. How you do this is down to the self-policing policy of the retailer in question.
If a retailer were to take a customers word that they were an airsofter with legitimate intentions for their purchase, and that individual turned out to be lying and wished to use the RIF in illegal activities, it is likely that the retailer would find themselves under the scrutiny of the authorities. As something of an insurance policy, and a manner in which to diligently record their checks and measures, many retailers require players to be part of a number of schemes that record their airsoft activity to an extent where it is possible to demonstrate they believe the person in question to have legitimate use for an airsoft gun

At the time of purchasing the airsoft gun, the retailer, which is also one of the sites I play at, knew that I am going to be a regular player and I had already mentioned on several occasions that I am working towards my UKARA membership. They will sell to non UKARA members, as is their legal right, if they see it as being appropriate, all while dealing with the vulnerability of doing so by keeping the RIF on their premises at all times. I can only gain access to it while I play until I get my membership. Nothing illegal or immoral happening. I have a legitimate defence as to why I am in possession of the RIF while playing, in the same way that I have one when using a rental airsoft gun.

It is not a legal requirement to be a UKARA, British Airsoft Club, SWATT PASS or any imitation club to purchase a RIF. It's just that most retailers require you to be a member to purchase one.

But yes, essentially it's like a down payment since I can't actually take it home.

• Supporters

Oh, I'm not clopping around on any high horse; I R'd my IFs the moment I got them with no qualms for reasons that I've enumerated elsewhere (and to a constable).

It's just an interesting legal wheeze since the offence was committed at the point where the RIF changed ownership, and the seller's defence would be based on what they could adduce about their information or belief at that time - and not whether that belief turned out to be prescient.

So whatever you do with it now shouldn't affect their legal position.  That's the principle. In practice, it's a perfectly sensible arrangement to keep the RIF on site for now to avoid it becoming an issue.

Also: gizza go, mister. ;)

17 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

Oh, I'm not clopping around on any high horse; I R'd my IFs the moment I got them with no qualms for reasons that I've enumerated elsewhere (and to a constable).

It's just an interesting legal wheeze since the offence was committed at the point where the RIF changed ownership, and the seller's defence would be based on what they could adduce about their information or belief at that time - and not whether that belief turned out to be prescient.

So whatever you do with it now shouldn't affect their legal position.  That's the principle. In practice, it's a perfectly sensible arrangement to keep the RIF on site for now to avoid it becoming an issue.

Also: gizza go, mister. ;)

Thanks :) And yeah, I thought it was a very reasonable arrangement.

10 hours ago, Marc.RG1 said:

Hello mate welcome to the forum, when you have your questions ask away I'm sure your get the help you need here. :)

Happy Shooting 

ATB Marc 

Archived