First game done

Hales84
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So on Sunday I went to my first skirmish and have to say I'm hooked, really good fun, friendly site, friendly and helpful people. I was also torn on what weapon to buy as my first RIF but Sunday has confirmed what a lot of people have told me, which is you cant go wrong with a M4 Carbine AEG. The ones we used on Sunday were Classic Army M4's, what are people's experiences with Classic Army as a brand?

Welcome to the world of being broke :) Airsoft will drain your wallet as fast as you fill it.

• Supporters

Oh Lord, yes, the amount you could flush is practically endless.  But look at the number of guns for sale as "skirmished once, not really my style".  I'm really having to grit my teeth and keep my finger off of the "BUY ALL THE THINGS" button.

Classic Army or G&G should be fine, but I'd also describe my £75 CYMA CM.516 as "surprisingly good", at least for CQB.  I can't speak to its long range performance, but since it's essentially half the price of a G&G (once you add a battery + charger) I really can't fault the value for money proposition.

My one bit of advice is don't rush into anything.

Do some rentals, play different sites, try some guns before you decide what style you like. Long gun or short gun.

Same with clothing. Don't fixate on a style to early on. If you end up buying a plate carrier in one style of camo you could limit your options to change styles.

Haha that's the one thing that I'm starting to realize that this is going to be a hobby that is a drain on the finances but something I think will be worth it in terms of fun. The M4 I used on Sunday to me was really good, and something I had great fun with and the upgrades and attachments seem endless, I was also pointed in the direction of a website called "Pre-Fired" which having a look on there seems like there are RIF's to be bought at a cheaper price and some that have already been upgraded, so once I have the licence it is something I will be looking at for sure. I'm not sure how the CQB M4 would work in terms of my local site as its mainly forest areas although there is a section known as the Village which I think the CQB version would be perfect so I'm definitely going to look at all possibilities. 

I see what you mean Rogerborg as I don't know what type of battery was in the one I used on Sunday but by around 12noon it needed replacing although that could have been by exuberance in shooting a lot.

Warlord - Yeah that's the one thing I was told on Sunday was to keep an open mind with regards to weapons, clothing, etc!!! so this is all information I will be taking on board before choosing a style and weapon type to run with 

Be careful with pre-owned until you have more experience as you need to know the signs of a faulty weapon being dumped on the market.

I found CQB size very useful in woodland because it doesn't get hung up on foliage etc when changing aim direction or crawling around.

In fact most of the time I have the stock all the way in to make it as small as pos.

Especially as longer barrel length has limited advantages.

I'm on the standard NiMh battery that came with it and amazed it lasted the whole day with power to spare.

• Supporters

I can't find any sellers on pre-fired who have any reputation, but I have found what are clearly business sellers dumping stock there.

Given the optimistic prices being asked (in some cases more than a brand new gun from taiwangun) I'd approach any postal deals with considerable caution.

For me a good part of it was doing some homework and seeing what sort of battery went in what sort of gun and where on it etc. If you can try other types of gun go for it. Personally i have a m4  platform but i also tried an mp5 which was also pretty good.  I also had a go at with a g36 and an ak. What I mean is its a big investment so you might as well try as many guns as you can to see what suites you best. Also part of the fun is trying to hide what I buy from my wife... she already thinks I'm nuts she doesn't need another reason to have a go at me lol

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Nicky blue eyes said:

Also part of the fun is trying to hide what I buy from my wife...

We need a sticky on that.  I look for:

eBay click-and-collect from Argos.

Amazon locker service.

UPS pick-up.

And of course the stuff that does get delivered is "Oh, just bits and bobs.  Lunch money, really."  ;)

• Supporters
1 minute ago, Albiscuit said:

All of my kits costs around £20 and guns no more than £80 or so ;) shhhhhhhhh

£20?  £80?  You flash git, lording it over us like that. :P

I got to say 90% of my kit is second hand. It suits my needs and it doesn't break the bank. It is very possible to play on a budget if you don't mind waiting for things. I've been playing now for just under a year and now got my kit to a level I'm happy with. Should any one wish to buy a poor fat man some airsoft goodies give me a jingle....... you know just putting it out there.B)

• Mostly Retired Moderators

While I think it's quite funny that everyone and his dog has an M4 (Myself included) it really does make sense.

You have the ideal battery and ammo capacity.

You have more accessories, upgrades and styling improvements than any other gun.

They're easy to open up and tinker with/repair.

If it breaks at a game you can bet that someone there will have a spare part.

And you won't find anyone who doesn't know how to fix or work on an M4.

They get a lot of stick, but there's a reason they're such a popular choice.

ive just played my second game and wont be able to ukara until probably my 4th due to the site not having one 56 days from the first :D

The worst (and best) part about starting airsoft is you have to wait so long until you can buy a rif :D i have spent hours and hours looking at guns and watching reviews and the wait is killing me (its also saving me from rushing out and buying a pile of rubbish for a first gun and getting mad)  Now im just debating if i should get lipos or nimh batteries for my first gun <3 

Does your site have different kinds of rentals? That might be wise to try them all or another site inbetween if you can, The one i use has Mini AK, Mod0 m4s and G36s which i find is nice. The closest site to me (which i haven't been too yet) Also rents out Spring Sniper Rifles. M249 support weapons, A Browning 30 cal with 3k mag (wtf) and a Browning 50 cal vehicle mounted gun (last few are a lot more expensive) so finding a site with a variety of weapons to try might be a good idea :D 

• Supporters
15 hours ago, Osiris said:

The worst (and best) part about starting airsoft is you have to wait so long until you can buy a rif :D

Buy one, yes.  Obtain one, not so much.

Socrates asks: if you were to buy an IF and were stopped while transporting it to or from an airsoft site, what would your defence be to the Firearms Act offence of possessing an "imitatation firearm" (note the lack of "realistic") in a public place?

Now, if you'd modified it to a RIF, what would your defence be to the VCRA offence of modifying?

On ‎28‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 10:19 AM, Rogerborg said:

Buy one, yes.  Obtain one, not so much.

Socrates asks: if you were to buy an IF and were stopped while transporting it to or from an airsoft site, what would your defence be to the Firearms Act offence of possessing an "imitatation firearm" (note the lack of "realistic") in a public place?

Now, if you'd modified it to a RIF, what would your defence be to the VCRA offence of modifying?

No one would know you modified said RIF, having a RIF is not an offence and travelling to a game is arguably defence enough. We have been over this on here loads.

1 hour ago, Rogerborg said:

Oh, is it in a sticky?

Likely not, but the whole VCRA, UKARA and the holes and interpretations and ways around it have been discussed in one way or another and we are still none the wiser for it :huh: :lol:

• Head Moderator
1 hour ago, Rogerborg said:

Oh, is it in a sticky?

No, there is no definitive answer to make a pinned post.  There has been no test case that would provide a ruling or case law; and so interpretation of the law and rules/guidance remains pretty subjective.

Archived