Two springs are better than one?

Rogerborg
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

Double the pleasure, triple the fun?

I was fiddling with my CYMA CM.123 this weekend, and tried an Eagle6 full power spring, which suggests that I might achieve 260 - 300fps rather than the stock 200.  Assuming 280, check my arithmetic here:

200 x 0.2g = 0.37J.

280 x 0.2g = 0.72J, or near as dammit twice the power.

So, what would be the issues with getting a 2nd stock spring (for signficantly less than an Eagle6), winding it through the original, and using both?

This is a thought experiment that might turn into a real one.

For the record, the Eagle6 spring was both stronger and longer than the stock spring and I was too a'scared to fit it as-is, so I lopped a few links off.  The gearbox was struggling and it eventually locked up, but that may have been down to me over-shimming it: <Homer> it's my first day. </Homer>

With another couple of links lopped off to bring it down to the length of the stock spring and more careful shimming, it's now sounding quite sweet, whacky rather than whiny, although any power increase is now likely to be be minimal.  This is more of a journey than a destination.

Would you not then suffer spring binding under compression? Effectively turning into a steel tube and crunching your gears :o

• Supporters

Yep. When the spring is compressed, it's fully compressed, no space between the coils.

Some springer shotguns use double springs but those have a smaller diameter spring inside the larger one. This is not possible in an AEG, it wouldn't fit the spring guide.

Archived