Battery Types and Storage?

AshOnSnow
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Could someone help explain the different types of batteries (and where they're stored) for AEGs? Both my guns have been M4-style with NiMH crane battery packs that were housed in side compartments in the stock. If I wanted to change my stock to something thinner, without the side compartments, what would be my options for battery storage?

Pretty much Lipo. These are smaller than Nimh with a more consistent output. 

Right now Lipo's are 7.4v (2S) or 11.1v (3S). So probably a lower voltage than your Nimh which tend to be 9.6v. So will have a slower rate of fire, initially. As a Nimh discharges it lowers the rate of fire. So a 7.4v lipo will stay at ~7.4v longer. Lipo's need to be discharged for storage or the chemical reaction dies. So after a game day you stick them on your balance charger and choose the storage option which discharges them to a storage charge level. Then you just charge them the night before the next game.

Lipo's come in many sizes based on their mAh capacity. With an M4 you'll usually find an 1100mAh 7.4v (2S) stick will fit in the buffer tube space. A larger capacity (trigger pulls) 1300mAh nunchuck type may also fit in the buffer tube space (mine does) but is obviously designed to fit the side tubes. I've always got a full days play out of either 1100 or 1300mAh, but I'm not a spammer.

Life are newer tech and reportedly don't suffer the need to use storage, but only seeing 6.6v right now.

• Supporters
3 hours ago, warlord said:

Life are newer tech and reportedly don't suffer the need to use storage, but only seeing 6.6v right now.

They do a 9.9v Li-Fe.

On battery placement, you can front wire and use a peq box, you can use a dual mag and have the mag not in the gun as a storage unit for the battery. You can get a different stock which can store the battery's in different ways etc etc.

If your really clever you can probably find another way to do it without too much fuss.

• Supporters

Be careful if buying/using LiFe batteries....

First of all - limited range/options for size/shape/capacity/makes etc....

(not so main stream or choices/stockists like LiPo's)

Secondly - DIFFERENT CHARGE SETTINGS - 3.3v or 3.8v max cell charge on LiFe's

compared to 3.7v or 4.2v max cell charge on LiPo's

use a LiPo charger/setting and you will overcharge/wreck the LiFe battery

If you have a B6 type charger then alter settings

B3 type most are LiPo only - a couple have a LiFe port

Thirdly - over-rated & over-priced imho

You will likely pay a tiny bit more for the rarer/limited LiFe's

In real time use - I never really noticed that much difference over a decent 25c 7.4v LiPo

Yes maybe a little bit more zest perhaps in a std gun

BUT in a tweaked snappy gun I noticed no difference myself

I think the LiFe's real burst factor is not as really intense as the new standard of LiPo's

Don't know what it is but LiPo's still dominate in Airsoft and especially in RC Stuff

Pity coz 9.9v LiFe's seem ideal stop gap to the 7.4v & 11.1v LiPo options

In reality - I don't think they are quite all they are cracked up to be

(well so I have found - I won't be buying any more LiFe's)

Storage charge level on a lipo is about 60-70% fully charged. Don't leave them for any period completely discharged as this will cause permanent damage.

Something that no one has mentioned.

Lipo's have to be treated carefully.

Never use a lipo is it has bulges, or a torn wrap. In both situations put it somwhere fireproof like inside a pan with a lid, And then dispose of it correctly. Your local council tip will have a bin for them.

Never drop or pierce a lipo. It'll turn into a firebomb. If you do drop it, put it somewhere fireproof and keep an eye on it for several minutes. If it starts to get warm/hot walk away.

Always use the supplied hard case that lipo's ship in. Never leave one loose in a bag, or inside a gun. If they discharge too low or get damaged in a bag you will have a firebomb.

Never continue to use a lipo after the performance has dropped off. It is far safer to change batteries early and leave the used one charging in the safe zone than it is to try get a few more bursts out of one that has started to slow down. If the voltage gets too low you could have a firebomb, and loose the gun as well.

Provided you take care of the battery, charge it correctly with the correct charger, and keep it in good condition a lipo should have a good lifespan. And it will be safe to use. If you abuse them then you are inviting disaster with them.

8 hours ago, Sitting Duck said:

Still the best clip to give you lipo nightmares....

Kind of makes you lean towards front wiring instead of having it sat next to your face.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, AshOnSnow said:

Kind of makes you lean towards front wiring instead of having it sat next to your face.

Makes me lean towards just not hitting my batteries with nails.....

• Supporters

An M67 fragmentation grenade contains 180g of Composition B which has a "slightly higher" energy than TNT.   Let's say 4.5kJ/g, so ~810kJ per grenade.

An 11.1v 2000mAh Lipo packs 80kJ or pretty much 1/10th of a hand grenade.

Not to be sniffed at.  I mean, if it goes off in your face, you won't be sniffing much.

• Supporters
4 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

An M67 fragmentation grenade contains 180g of Composition B which has a "slightly higher" energy than TNT.   Let's say 4.5kJ/g, so ~810kJ per grenade.

An 11.1v 2000mAh Lipo packs 80kJ or pretty much 1/10th of a hand grenade.

Not to be sniffed at.  I mean, if it goes off in your face, you won't be sniffing much.

That's 80KJ of equivalent electrical capacity though, not the same as explosive energy. CompB is designed to produce all its energy rapidly in one very energetic reaction, a LiPo cell isn't. While yes, the reaction that occurs when the lithium in a LiPo battery is exposed to the air is very energetic it's not as much as the direct equivalent amount of joules due to the speed of the reaction.

You still wouldn't want it going off near your face though.

Archived