KWA M4 field strip

The Leprechaun!
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Ive recently got a KWA M4 RIS with crane stock, both myself and Dave have tried to get to the barrel, hop-up, gear box etc, ive taken the body pins out, then the upper reciever moves a little (1/2 cm) then stops. Now, is it a case of just yanking it open (which im reluctant to do in case i break it) or is there a certain special way of doing it?

Also, does anyone know what type of hop-up they have?

Cheers

Ive recently got a KWA M4 RIS with crane stock, both myself and Dave have tried to get to the barrel, hop-up, gear box etc, ive taken the body pins out, then the upper reciever moves a little (1/2 cm) then stops. Now, is it a case of just yanking it open (which im reluctant to do in case i break it) or is there a certain special way of doing it?

Also, does anyone know what type of hop-up they have?

Cheers

USE A AXE!

Only joking but I think I remember when I took apart my freinds KWA it had two prongs like a .U.

*Yes that looks a bit wrong*

Ha! I just saw this thread.

Your doing it like an airsoft gun. The KWA KM4 is made to split like an actual AR.

You need to keep the front pin in and only remove the rear pin. Then pull the top receiver away from the lower.

There are two tabs that the rear pins go through. I always grab the carry handle and holding the gun LIGHTLY tap the buffer tube until the receivers split.

It splits open, it does not slide open. The reason for this is because KWA uses a two-piece hop up unit designed for their guns. The gun is not compatible with other hop-up units (at least not with modification).

If the gun refuses to split, it could be because your piston is locked back and the tabs are catching on the piston. You need to fire the gun on semi with a low powered battery once or twice to make sure the piston is in the forward position.

Once you have split the receivers, you can slide the barrel and hop-up unit out.

Some other quick info about KWA guns. KWA gearboxes are much larger than normal gearboxes so they will not fit in most receivers other than KWA receivers. The gears are proprietary along with the piston. The gearbox is screwed together with STAR screws and if you just got the gun you may have a 45 day warranty (IDK about in England). Opening the gearbox before the warranty voids it.

The hop-up bucking is a firefly design and is a very good bucking. If you plan on changing any of the hop-up components, I would not. Just keep it stock. Its made to work well with the KWA air nozzle.

Fantastic, thanks a lot Nex and Dev, yeah did all that and opened a treat, was just a little stiff. Just opened it now, suffice to say, i need a new change of trousers! :lol:

Nex, what are your thoughts on getting a tightbore barrel? Would it be worth it? And yeah from seeing the hop-up in person id agree, dont need changing, looks great tbh! And thanks for the other info too

Again, thanks a lot guys! :D

Honestly I would keep the stock 6.05mm barrel assuming the gun is the 2GX.

Put about 5000 rounds through the gun to break it in. Since the gun is new shoot about 1000 rounds through it and clean the bucking with soap and water (KWA loves to put grease in the cylinder and then it gets all over the bucking :rolleyes:).

After about 5000 rounds you should be getting great accuracy and range because the barrel will be broken in. (micro-honed because it is a brass inner barrel).

If you see a decrease in range or accuracy before 5000 rounds just clean the bucking again.

Yeah that would make sense...

And ive been shooting it quite a lot atm anyway, but ill give the bucking a clean before my next game, thanks! :D

Archived