ASG "auto stop" charger never stopped charging

AvidAirsofter776
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I bought a VP racing 8 cell 9.6v battery and web auto stop charger to replace the previously fried batteries due to a non auto stop charger. Turns out neither stop. Anyone else seen this and any tips for the future?

• Supporters

Nimah's are a pain

the batteries start to fade, often not holding charge for very long at all

or one cell goes tits up or they get very very warm/hot on charge and nothing goes in the battery

eventually you will probably be best going lipo

get a B6 if possible than a B3 charger

buy lipo's from places like hobbykuying

stop paying silly prices for over priced batteries/chargers that don't last

there are numerous posts about make the jump to lipo's

& not buying over priced batteries from airsoft shops etc....

• Supporters

What'st the voltage output from the charger?  It'll need to be in excess of 9.6V for it to be able to fully charge that battery.

[UPDATE] Oh, this one? http://www.patrolbase.co.uk/airsoft-battery-chargers/asg-intelligent-auto-stop-nicd-nimh-battery-charger.htm

That does claim to charge 8 cell / 9.6V packs, but based on similar chargers it may do so at a rate as low as 150mA for a 9.6V pack.  If you're charging a fully discharged (e.g.) 2000mAh 9.6V pack then you're looking at 13 hours to fully charge it.

On 22/09/2017 at 9:07 AM, Rogerborg said:

What'st the voltage output from the charger?  It'll need to be in excess of 9.6V for it to be able to fully charge that battery.

[UPDATE] Oh, this one? http://www.patrolbase.co.uk/airsoft-battery-chargers/asg-intelligent-auto-stop-nicd-nimh-battery-charger.htm

That does claim to charge 8 cell / 9.6V packs, but based on similar chargers it may do so at a rate as low as 150mA for a 9.6V pack.  If you're charging a fully discharged (e.g.) 2000mAh 9.6V pack then you're looking at 13 hours to fully charge it.

Exactly. On the first charge after only an hour it was too hot to touch. Completely befuddled by it.

On 21/09/2017 at 11:56 PM, Sitting Duck said:

Nimah's are a pain

the batteries start to fade, often not holding charge for very long at all

or one cell goes tits up or they get very very warm/hot on charge and nothing goes in the battery

eventually you will probably be best going lipo

get a B6 if possible than a B3 charger

buy lipo's from places like hobbykuying

stop paying silly prices for over priced batteries/chargers that don't last

there are numerous posts about make the jump to lipo's

& not buying over priced batteries from airsoft shops etc....

I have been thinking about making the change to lipo, however there is no such thing as an 8.4v or 9.6v lipo that I can find. I wouldn't like to go as low as a 7.4v because it'll be a slug to shoot and I'm worried 11.1v will ruin my motor, and I'd have to get a MOSFET, which all adds up to way too much to just have a functional gun. It's probably what I'll have to do though. And I might as well. Better start saving!

• Supporters

Individual nimh cells are nominally 1.2V, so batteries can be had in 7.2V (6 cell), 8.4V (7 cell) or 9.6V (8 cell).

Individual lipo cells are nominally 3.7V so batteries can only come in 7.4V (2 cell) or 11.1V (3 cell).

• Supporters

Lipo kit on a budget.....

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-nano-tech-1200mah-2s-25-50c-lipo-airsoft-pack.html

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-12v-2-3s-basic-balance-charger.html

(Both are in stock & in UK - stuff can be located all over the place UK - EU - Hong Kong etc..)

G&G crane stocks can be a bit slim - 18mm to 20mm max diameter with about 5 inch or 126mm length

You could get some slightly larger size/capacity ones but they may/may not fit so easily....

They might also be out of stock UK & order from EU instead (no biggy but 2 x postage or order all EU)

G&G crane stocks can be a tiny bit smaller but that lipo should fit ok no problem

(you MUST measure your gun to be sure before ordering though)

Charger - cheapo B3 type charger that charges through balance lead - a bit slow but idiot proof

no fancy setting n crap - charges through the small connector or balance lead as its called

needs a psu but if you got and old psu from say a modem/router it "might" fit

or a fancy variable voltage laptop universal psu can be used if you got half a clue

or splice the ends of the lead that comes with it and wire it up

IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING !!!!!!!!

Budget setup that gets you going cheaply, 2 batteries + charger under £20 inc postage)

(If you get into this stuff then rewire to deans & ditch small tamiya then

get a B6 (genuine model if possible than a clone copy) charger blah blah blah)

They come off charge @ 8.4v - 2 x 4.2v max volts freshly charged btw

• 1 month later...

Archived