Radio Issue (or not?)

Crashtest33
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I've bought a Baofeng UV-5RE radio and have programmed channels 1 through 8 with the correct PMR446 radio channels.

We use channel 5 at work so I've selected channel 5 on both the upper and lower displays.

I can hear the work radios clear as a bell but I can't talk back. 

???

Cheers

• Supporters

Because transmitting with that on that frequency is illegal, so it's good that you were stopped by the radio. :)

A few tips:

You can set a transmitting frequency offset, that should be 0. Try setting the band to wide, maybe it's on narrow and for some reason that's off a bit. Use it without a headset and ptt, maybe that's broken or not compatible.

Offset is zero. Wide is selected and I'm using just the radio for mic & spkr.

6.25k is selected but changing between rx and tx seems to be my issue although the work radios green receive light goes on when I try and talk.

Work radios are HYT TC-446S'. Could they be encrypted to stop others talking to them?

Cheers fellas. 

Will the CTCSS be written on them (behind the battery etc.) or will it be hidden by the manufacturer?

1 hour ago, Crashtest33 said:

Cheers fellas. 

Will the CTCSS be written on them (behind the battery etc.) or will it be hidden by the manufacturer?

CTSS & DCS are like additional sub channels, but are not truely seperate

If you were using a standard PMR radio which supported CTCSS/DCS and you were in channel 5 but they were on 5.1 then you would not hear them

On old cheap PMRs that don't support CTCSS/DCS you would hear every 5 sub channel, but only transmit on 5.0

You need to programme in the offset codes to support the precise channel/sub channel

Please note that the UV5RE is not a PMR radio, even though it can be programmed to the frequencies and it's aerial transmitter is above the PMR legal limit

PMR is an unlicensed system that runs in specific frequencies and does not exceed a set power limit

If your work uses PMR then that's fine with the right equipment, if they use a licenced frequency then you can use the Baofeng (if they are happy with you using their frequency)

You are unlikely to get caught using the Boafeng but if you interfere with someone and it was reported to OFCOM then they could come after your boss for alowing iy

Archived