UK Army 80s Boots and Shirt Combat KF

NATO
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Interested in doing a 80s load out. Are Parade Ammo Boots with nails good for combat in the 80s?  I have read descriptions of DMS boots' soles falling apart. Do the hob nails on parade Ammo boots needed to be replaced?  Is there a source for KF shirts?

As it stands now I have two smocks DPM, 58 web gear with shovel, sleeping bag and poncho, S6 mask, Mk IV w/upgrade liner. Mk 6. Shirt 96DPM, and green trousers.

thanks

If I remember rightly after the Falklands conflict. The British army reveiwed it boots( which were shockingly shite) and based their  new ones on U.S. army boots. ( which is what the Argentine forces used). I know its the load out you want but if your skirmishing in this kit you might as well get more comfortable boots than ammo boots. British army assault boots should look the part and are probably better for you than the others.

Thanks for the help. Problem is the sellers call everything assault boot or NI Patrol boot, and some list Bund jump boots or the hated "Black" jungle boots. In the US Army you had like three field boots, Combat boots, Jump boots and Jungles.  In the 90's any thing black was in fashion for a while.  So to be clear DMS ammo boots a NOGO, just high boots for 79 -90 (Fall of the WARSAWPAC)

• Head Moderator

DMS (direct molded sole) boots are very different to ammo boot (leather and studded).  DMS were still worn with puttees until around 1983/84, depending on unit.  The new Boot Combat High, initially tested by the Royal Artillery, replaced DMS post Falklands war (1982) and were definately general issue by 1985. BCH were further improved in design due to issue with boot digging into the achilles tendon and better quality softer leather spine introduced.

The MkIV metal helmet and spider insert began to be replaced from 1985, and was phased out by 1988.  Norwegian army shirts were not issued but most bought them privately and wore them in place of the woolen (stratchy) KF shirts on exercise/operations. Norgi shirts were issued from 1994.

Thanks for the time line. These then are not issue boots..http://www.sofmilitary.co.uk/dms-boots-rubber-soled-product,11118

Now the British Army was not wearing puttees with high boots were they, or is the organization that much dedicated followers of fashion?  Norgi vs KF, what is the KF, is it part of the service uniform with rank etc, or is it underwear layer?  In the US Amy, the shirt (Fatigues, BDUs, ACUs, MTPs) is normal dress shirt with rank, SSI, and name tapes.  Brown Norgi shirts became a fashion thing here, but under the shirt not a stand alone uniform item.

• Head Moderator

Those DMS boots will do, they had a rubber sole and were ankle high, hence the necessity of using the puttee on each leg.  BCH did not need a puttee, an elastic trouser twist was worn, bottom of lightweight trouser legs or combats were tucked into the elastics which held the trouser leg in place at top of boots.  The KF shirt was the uniform shirt and had rank insignia, and was worn under a jumper or combat jacket.  The green Norgi shirt was better and worn in place of the KF shirt.

Thanks. We had boot blouses which we were told not use, but then they were sold at the PX.  Now we also put our trousers into the boots, I take this was not a UK practice in the field?

• Head Moderator
1 hour ago, NATO said:

Thanks. We had boot blouses which we were told not use, but then they were sold at the PX.  Now we also put our trousers into the boots, I take this was not a UK practice in the field?

The NAAFI (British PX) sold the elastics (boot blouses) which everyone bought because they were not issued. More practical than using a rubber band.  Trousers were never tucked into boots, using the elastics kept the trousers covering the top of the boot and stopped mud, etc, going into the boot. Even if wearing trainers/running shoes the elastics were still worn.

Wow, a very different way of doing business. The logic given in Basic was the boot blouses cut circulation. The blouses were then used for holding the poncho to the pistol belt.  Thanks again for the info.

simon 

Archived