Will weapon tape work as two toning?

evilembers
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

37 minutes ago, evilembers said:

I'm quite young and have just started airsofting, I have a MB03A Sniper Rifle and instead of getting it two toned, would it be legal in NI "Northern Ireland" to cover atleast 51% of it in green weapon tape?

yours sincerely

evilembers

For the purposes of two tone under the VCRA it would need to be bright green.

transparent

bright red

bright orange

bright blue

bright yellow

bright green

bright pink

bright purple

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/the-violent-crime-reduction-act-2006-commencement-no-3-order-2007-firearms-measures

If by 'green weapon tape' you mean sniper tape then no

However for Northern Ireland you may also need other clarification on any additional local specifics 

IMG_7649.PNG

• Head Moderator

Not sure if NI has any additional legislation, however, the VCRA 2006 is UK law so assume it applies there just the same as on the mainland.

An Imitation Firearm (IF) must be 51% bright colour paint, a permanent cover not a temporary one.   The use of green weapon/sniper tape would not be permissible because it is only temporary.

Putting camouflaged tape over a two-tone gun at a skirmish is permissible due to being a temporary modification purely for the game.  After the skirmish the tape is removed.

• Supporters

Hang on, do you already have it, and it's in realistic colours?  Then you need to do nothing.  It's not an offence to obtain or own a realistic imitation firearm.  Any issues are with the seller, they're not your concern.

It is an offence under the Firearms Act to possess any imitation firearm (realistic or otherwise) in public, which is why you should have a defence to hand when you're transporting it - e.g. booking slip/receipt for an airsoft site, map, contact details for a site owner.

The colour is not relevant (legally) for that purpose, although a day-glo gun should be less likely to result in questions in the very unlikely event that you're stopped.  If you do decide to paint it for peace of mind, I'd suggest looking into using Plasti-Dip which will come off easily when you're comfortable with using it as a RIF.

Be sensible and it shouldn't be a problem for you to use it as-is though.

What he said above.....

if you already have it (how you came about it is irrelevant right now, sounds like you shouldnt have been sold a RIF but could have been gifted it from someone able to purchase, exactly how I came about my first gun) then you need not do anything to it, just keep it safe and secure and not wave it around in the garden or local tesco car park

Two toneing and it being relistic or otherwise only apply to BUYING, if you already own it then happy playing!! :) 

BUT

To answer your question, No... tape is not two toning as its removable. But for your purposes it shouldn't matter... keep it black!

• Supporters
2 hours ago, Albiscuit said:

tape is not two toning as its removable

VCRA doesn't appear to say anything about permanency, durability or the ease of conversion of IFs to RIFs.

Paint is removable.  It's even readily removable with common household items, as I determined within a few minutes of receiving my dayglo guns.

I'm minded to agree that if you were selling/importing/manufacturing IFs then a non-durable colour coat would increase the very small risk of prosecution and conviction, but I don't think we can infer anything absolute from the legislation as it's written.

For a purchaser/owner with legal uses in mind it remains an effective non-concern.

Archived